Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Improving Meteo

Improving Meteo (Page 5)
Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Maybe Adam can make icons for 23,24,25?
Adam made icons for wunderground to start - he could make a Wind image if he likes, and then that would fill in that gap.

I've also found a permanent fix to the crash people where having - it seems that NSOutlineView doesn't like custom NSTableColumn's, and so I got rid of them.

Matt Fahrenbacher

cpac
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2003, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by msykes:

Am I the only one have funkiness with the length of extended forecast?

If I put 1 day, it shows 3. If I select 3 days, it shows 7. If I select 5 days it shows 10. Weird!

Are you sure you're not just getting wunderground's extra forecasts? i.e. there's one for "tonight" "Tuesday" "Tuesday Night" etc.

I think it breaks it down like that for the next couple days which results in more rows than you might have specified showing up - but not more actual days...
cpac

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2003, 08:46 PM

http://homepage.mac.com/fahrenba/meteo/Meteo1.2.6.dmg

I'm going to go do some other work and come back in a couple hours - if there's no pressing complaints by then, I'll cross my fingers and release it to the world.

Thanks everyone for being patient with the latest, buggy version!

Matt Fahrenbacher

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 12:48 AM

It's only forecasting Low temperatures, but other than that it works great.

msykes
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by cpac:
Are you sure you're not just getting wunderground's extra forecasts? i.e. there's one for "tonight" "Tuesday" "Tuesday Night" etc.

I think it breaks it down like that for the next couple days which results in more rows than you might have specified showing up - but not more actual days...
Yeah, I'm sure... I'm using Weather.com, right now I have it set for 3 days, it's Monday, and I have forecasts through until Sunday. I'll try the latest beta as soon as I get back to work tomorrow, babysitting tonight and stuck on the modem!

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2003, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
It's only forecasting Low temperatures, but other than that it works great.
My only other complaint is that Today's High and Low aren't showing up when looking at my city (Rochester, MN) using wunderground.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2003, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
My only other complaint is that Today's High and Low aren't showing up when looking at my city (Rochester, MN) using wunderground.
It's the source not showing the information at the time you viewed...not a Meteo fault.

Wevah
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
The result seem much smaller..

MoonPhase-15.tiff............92k

MoonPhase-15.png..........28k

--------------

Hazy.tiff (Dock Icon) + Hazy.tiff (MenuBar Icon).......112k

Hazy.icns (both merged in one)....................................32k
Quick question: how are you saving the TIFF and the PNG images? I've noticed that photoshop likes to add a bunch of extra metadata to the TIFF files it spits out...really annoying for images that should be a few hundred bytes (especially when compared to PNG images saved with "Save For Web").
( Last edited by Wevah; Mar 25, 2003 at 07:41 AM. )
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

msykes
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 03:07 PM

My issue with the number of days forecasted seems to be gone with the latest release.

I almost hate to do this, but I have a feature possibility/suggestion/request that I thought I'd throw out there...

I wouldn't mind there being an option that if, after a user-defined amount of time, no new weather data was loaded that the icon would change slightly to reflect the fact that the information displayed was out of date.

If you are away from a connection, or weather.com is down, or whatever, and say you set a threshold of 12 hours, then after 12 hours maybe a little warning flag would pop up, or the menubar text would gray (though that could be counterintuitive suggesting you can't access the menu any more) or something along those lines.

Anyone else think this is a good/useful idea?

flysky
Mar 26, 2003, 12:57 AM

Just installed the released version of 1.2.6, and I'm kind of confused about how you're matching icons to forecasts. Using only Wunderground, (for Berkeley, CA) I'm getting the same icon (the clouds) for partly cloudy and mostly sunny. I checked Wunderground and didn't see any information indicating that they should be the same. Is this a Wunderground issue or a Meteo issue?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2003, 01:12 AM

Matt:

I see you have 1.2.7v01 beta already on your web-site, what has changed already?

Thanks.

cpac
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2003, 01:20 AM

I too am getting strange icon mappings using Wunderground for salt lake city.

For example:

Forecast - Icon
Windy - Rain
Windy - Snowflake
Breezy - Snowflake
Partly cloudy w/ chance of Snow Showers - Snowflake
Partly Cloudy - All clouds (5 days in a row)
Mostly Cloudy - Few clouds in front of sun
cpac

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2003, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
Something like this...

[click the image for a full sizer]

Mac Guru
Mac Guru:

Where do things stand on this? Just wondering.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 02:25 AM

I've put it aside for a tiny bit as I'm trying to wind up the final competitions for this Winter Guard season and am trying to work at getting things rolling with trying to get a job at a local web design shop, I should resume shortly.

Mac Guru

Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2003, 05:53 AM

This probably won't be the most informative post around, but I have a problem with meteo 1.2.6. Basically, everything works fine except that I don't get the extended forecast. This is in Brussels, Belgium and using wunderground as a server. (I've tried London adn wunderground as well) When I scroll down to `current weather' all's great, but when I scroll to `extended forecast', nada. I've tried using weather.com and that works fine (forecasts included), but no cities have forecasts when I use wunderground... Strange, innit?

Anyway, apologies if someone already posted this...

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2003, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Hozie:
This probably won't be the most informative post around, but I have a problem with meteo 1.2.6. Basically, everything works fine except that I don't get the extended forecast. This is in Brussels, Belgium and using wunderground as a server. (I've tried London adn wunderground as well) When I scroll down to `current weather' all's great, but when I scroll to `extended forecast', nada. I've tried using weather.com and that works fine (forecasts included), but no cities have forecasts when I use wunderground... Strange, innit?

Anyway, apologies if someone already posted this...
1.2.7 fixes this (the beta I mean). Wunderground was being inconsistant in how it displayed it's forecast table, so I had to catch a couple extra cases that I hadn't thought of before.

About the images... that's really weird, as my mapping is pretty easy. It's possible, although I don't see how... oh crap, maybe I do. Could a couple people check to see if the images downloaded map their names? I'm going to look at my code again - I may have named them the wrong thing!

Matt Fahrenbacher

Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2003, 12:38 PM

I gotta say this mate: you're one of the most responsive developers I've ever seen. First, you make a great product and offer it for free. Second, you keep it up-to-date as much as you can. Third, people come here with feature requests and bug reports and you implement them in the next release.

You're a cool cat Ghoser. I think you deserve appreciation.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2003, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Wevah:
Quick question: how are you saving the TIFF and the PNG images? I've noticed that photoshop likes to add a bunch of extra metadata to the TIFF files it spits out...really annoying for images that should be a few hundred bytes (especially when compared to PNG images saved with "Save For Web").
I use SuperPNG instead of Photoshop's default PNG so that it won't save more unwanted information.

I noticed that any of Mail.app's .tiff files are infinitely smaller than any of graphics I made for Meteorologist... I'll look in this.

About the wind icon, I've made two different graphics (not final, just experimenting) and they didn't came out as great as I'd like it to be. I originally plan to make a sail boat but I found out that WeatherManX have it too so I'm unsure if I should go ahead and make it. I just don't want people to think that I'm a copycat.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2003, 01:38 PM

Adam:

Do you mind posting the wind icons you are experimenting with so we can offer suggestions?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2003, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Adam:

Do you mind posting the wind icons you are experimenting with so we can offer suggestions?
Sure here it is:

I can go for Sail Boat if people think it's more clear.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2003, 03:04 PM

Sure here it is:

I like those, but do they have menu bar counterparts?

cpac
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2003, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
Could a couple people check to see if the images downloaded map their names? I'm going to look at my code again - I may have named them the wrong thing!
If you mean looking in /Library/Application Support/Meteo/Menu Bar Icons/ and making sure the names make sense on each picture, they do...

It almost seems that Meteo, when using Wunderground and encountering a forecast it doesn't have an icon for (i.e. windy or breezy), just goes forward in the forecast until it finds an icon it knows about and the uses that one for the previous unknowns). Does this make sense at all?
cpac

cpac
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2003, 03:26 PM

Aha! - after comparing the Wunderground page with my menu bar forecast things are a little clearer:

My menu bar says "windy" for tonight, but has a snowflake. BUT if I look at the page, the icon is wind & snowflakes, and the more extended forecast says "Windy. Rain and snow. Accumulations 1-3 inches benches with locally higher amounts. Lows in the lower 30s. Northwest winds 15-30 mph decreasing."

Similarly a "Breezy" w/ Snowflake is translated into "Breezy. Snow showers likely...especially south of the Great Salt Lake. Accumulations 1-2 inches...higher amounts south of the lake. Highs in the lower 40s. North winds 10-20 mph. Chance of snow 70 percent."

So perhaps the problem is just the way Wunderground describes the forecast (or maybe with how Meteo truncates it).

That said, Partly Cloudy still errantly shows up w/ a cloud icon (cloudy.tiff). So maybe it's a combination of these problems?
cpac

cpac
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2003, 03:28 PM

I like both of those (particularly the wind-sock) better than a sailboat. That said, not sure if those can translate easily into menu bar icons. One idea would be a weather-vane (which might be easier to display small).

Thoughts?
cpac

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 26, 2003, 06:00 PM

I like the windsock.

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 03:36 AM

hey, that's holland!

iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2003, 03:58 AM

Originally posted by Jerommeke:
hey, that's holland!

These WindMill are so old that they don't have a copyright on them

Here's a menubar icons for both Holland Windmill and WindSock:

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Mar 27, 2003, 07:37 AM

[/B]
My 2-cents... I like the WindSock better. It has a more neutral feel to it... whereas the windmill reminds me of GoldMember: "Fahzha... I like goooold... I'm from Hoaaahlund, isn't dat veeeird...?"

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Mar 27, 2003, 08:12 AM

HEY! I didn't see this the first time...!

I LOVE the idea of a desktop widget for Meteo... I know it's a far-cry from the original intent of a menu-bar X-tra... but DANG! I'd keep that on my desktop 24/7... of course, it could use the design touches of our beloved Adam... eh?

Anyone ELSE like the floating data (sans Television & thermometer)...?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2003, 09:37 AM

Another vote for the WindSock as well, it looks darn good if you ask me.

Can you send to Adam so we can download?

Thanks.

msykes
Senior User
Mar 27, 2003, 02:08 PM

One more vote for windsock, the windmill is just too small and cramped in the Menubar I think (it looks much better in the dock version).

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 02:46 PM

LightWaver-67, You can already have that widget, go to deskmod and go to the Konfabulator Category and find Weather+

As for the floating TV with the Weather, I'm getting decent progress on it and may be able to release a Meteo onfab Widget soon. I'll post some shots soon.

Mac Guru

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Mar 29, 2003, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
LightWaver-67, You can already have that widget, go to deskmod and go to the Konfabulator Category and find Weather+

As for the floating TV with the Weather, I'm getting decent progress on it and may be able to release a Meteo onfab Widget soon. I'll post some shots soon.

Mac Guru
WOW! How have I missed this for so long...? I LOVE these widgets!!! Thanks!

( Last edited by LightWaver-67; Mar 29, 2003 at 10:09 AM. )

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2003, 11:52 AM

These WindMill are so old that they don't have a copyright on them

I mean, if you have such an icon, you can throw it all along in every Holland-location
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

jjs357
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2003, 03:29 PM

Suddenly today, I am getting unexpected crashes with meteo (1.2.6) with only one city selected and only weather.com as the weather server.

It's a Philadelphia suburb if that makes a difference. I have had bad data lead to meteo problems before but I can't recall crashes coming from this.

A crash log is written when the crash occurs.

Jim

npmccallum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2003, 08:20 PM

I too am getting crashes 1.2.6 (3 cities selected)

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2003, 06:42 PM

Matt:

What's up? Haven't heard from you in awhile...I am sure you are busy teaching and whatnot. Anyway, just hoping the latest wind icon has been included in your next 1.2.7v02 beta release...

Thanks.

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2003, 06:37 PM

starting sometime late yesterday I start getting crashes on attempting to load data for Salt Lake City from Wunderground.

I deleted preferences, the application launched just fine, but as soon as I set up salt lake city again, it crashed.

Anybody else having problems like this?
cpac

blikum
Apr 4, 2003, 06:52 PM

starting sometime late yesterday I start getting crashes on attempting to load data for Salt Lake City from Wunderground.

I deleted preferences, the application launched just fine, but as soon as I set up salt lake city again, it crashed.

Yup, I thought it was just me.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2003, 07:16 PM

It's not crashing as such for me, just failing to display the current weather data.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Apr 4, 2003, 09:09 PM

Same here, although I don't know if it's wunderground or not. I bet there has changes to one of their pages. Sigh it's like aiming at a moving target.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2003, 10:30 PM

Yeah, must be a wunderground issue...all my Weather.com cities are working just fine.

flysky
Apr 5, 2003, 11:15 PM

Yeah, I think there must be some Wunderground issues.

Last week, I got a new version of the odd icon issue: the snowflake appeared in the menu bar, even though the temp was 54�. I checked Wunderground and found that the forecast indicated that the snow level would be dropping to 3000' in the mountains ... which are quite some distance from Berkeley. I take that to mean that the odd icon had to do with how Meteo is parsing the forecast info.

So, a couple days ago, I tried switching to Weather.com just before putting my computer to sleep. When I woke it up yesterday evening, Meteo had crashed and wouldn't start again. I then trashed the .plist and started over. Meteo wouldn't pull any information from Wunderground, when it didn't crash. I tried 1.2.7b with the same result.

Finally, I trashed the .plist again and started over with 1.2.6, but I went with Weather.com, and everything seems to be working OK.

Not sure what to make of all that, but I thought I would pass it along.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2003, 01:11 AM

I'm having the same crash problem too. I'm using Wunderground.

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2003, 11:26 PM

I'm having the same crash problem too. I'm using Wunderground.
I go away for a week and ALL HELL breaks loose! I have the second beta of 1.2.7 up, and it fixes (hopefully), all the crashes related to wunderground.com changing their format so that they have the light blue off and on coloring sort of like iTunes.

I've also disabled the email me button and the donation button - I can't handle the emails, and as such I don't think I deserve the donations. I'm pretty close to just dropping Meteo out in the open and asking for takers - I've taken Meteo pretty far, but I have no where near the time commitment that is needed to make it a lot better.

http://homepage.mac.com/fahrenba/met...eo1.2.7v02.dmg

Oh well,
Matt Fahrenbacher

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2003, 11:55 PM

Yikes, don't let it go Matt...please, don't let it go...it would NEVER be the same! If you can, please add the rest of Adam's icons into the sources so the ENTIRE icon set is complete.

Thanks for all your hard work...

msykes
Senior User
Apr 7, 2003, 07:53 PM

I'm pretty close to just dropping Meteo out in the open and asking for takers - I've taken Meteo pretty far, but I have no where near the time commitment that is needed to make it a lot better.
Is there some way you could modularize Meteo? Split it up into basically two parts, the main program, and then accessory programs/modules/plugins/whatever you want to call them which are responsible for parsing out the weather server information.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the hardest thing seems to be keeping up with the incessant changes that Weather.com and Wunderground keep making to their formats. If you split off the parsing engines into some kind of plug-in system, then other people could be in charge of those. You could remain in "control" of the main program, and concentrate on making it work better, new features or whatever.

Being a rather limited programmer I have no idea how much work something like that would entail to set up. It might even allow for partial downloads... when weather.com changes it's format all you do is download the weather.com plugin, or if you use Wunderground you could ignore that plugin update.

flysky
Apr 7, 2003, 11:25 PM

I'm pretty close to just dropping Meteo out in the open and asking for takers - I've taken Meteo pretty far, but I have no where near the time commitment that is needed to make it a lot better.
Sorry to hear it, but totally understandable. Whatever you decide to do, thanks for a cool program and your involvement with the users in developing it.

lazydesert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 11:57 PM

I go away for a week and ALL HELL breaks loose! I have the second beta of 1.2.7 up, and it fixes (hopefully), all the crashes related to wunderground.com changing their format so that they have the light blue off and on coloring sort of like iTunes.

I've also disabled the email me button and the donation button - I can't handle the emails, and as such I don't think I deserve the donations. I'm pretty close to just dropping Meteo out in the open and asking for takers - I've taken Meteo pretty far, but I have no where near the time commitment that is needed to make it a lot better.

http://homepage.mac.com/fahrenba/met...eo1.2.7v02.dmg

Oh well,
Matt Fahrenbacher
Under preferences, the window title still reports version 1.2.6, and under about it says What's new in version 1.2.6
Was this missed or have I lost my mind and forgotten how to upgrade mac software
lazydesert

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2003, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by lazydesert:
Under preferences, the window title still reports version 1.2.6, and under about it says What's new in version 1.2.6
Was this missed or have I lost my mind and forgotten how to upgrade mac software
It's still a beta of 1.2.7...nothing has been "officially" released...until then, I doubt that part is updated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules