Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > If colours were to return to the iBook line which would you prefer?

View Poll Results: New iBooks: Colours Return!! Which are your favourite?
Poll Options:
Ruby 3 votes (4.92%)
Sage 4 votes (6.56%)
Indigo 11 votes (18.03%)
Graphite 13 votes (21.31%)
Tangerine 2 votes (3.28%)
Grape 1 votes (1.64%)
Key Lime 4 votes (6.56%)
Blueberry 1 votes (1.64%)
Strawberry 1 votes (1.64%)
None (i.e as is currently) 21 votes (34.43%)
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll
If colours were to return to the iBook line which would you prefer?
rmendis
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2003, 06:03 AM

Now that Apple has diversified it's PowerBook G4 line with the 17" and 12" model in particular, the iBooks are no longer the little siblings of the the 15" TiBook.

I reckon that with the next revision of iBooks, Apple will reposition them as the entry-level Mac (now that the iMac Classic/CRT has gone).

That is Apple is likely to give them a new enclosure/colours (so as to not confuse or detract Pro users from chosing a PowerBook), perhaps use up to 1GHz G3s (IBM's Sahara chips) and most importantly reduce the price in line with the new look and positioning. There may only be just one size as well (i.e 12") if they reintroduce colours, as there wouldn't be a point in having 12" & 14" iBooks along with 12" , 15" & 17" PowerBooks.

What is for sure, i'm sure the colours will be more subtle like the last few colours in the iMac/iBook range. That is Ruby, Sage, Indigo and maybe even Graphite.
"Trust. Betrayal. Deception.
In the CIA nothing is what it seems"

- from the film "The Recruit"

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2003, 06:12 AM

Why would they have colours?
Apple has moved away from colours and gone for subtle grey and whites. They are not going to move back to colours, IMO
we don't have time to stop for gas

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2003, 08:27 AM

Sadly they're not gona move back... colours rocked... I love my blueberry iMac

rmendis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2003, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Sadly they're not gona move back... colours rocked... I love my blueberry iMac
I loved my graphite iBook

It's been replaced by a much faster a larger screen PowerBook G4, but really there was something magical about my iBook that i miss. I didn't feel like upgrading my machine until the harddrive broke

Anyway, as this has been proclaimed 'The Year of the Laptop' for Apple, i expect that Apple will finally make a big marketing push around newly designed (colours and/or new enclosure), faster and cheaper Mac OS X only iBooks.

I mean Apple makes great portables and they tend to be (much) better than their PC counterparts because of the low power of the PowerPC for one (though x86 is catching up with processors from Intel and Transmeta, etc.) and (potentially) because of Mac OS X.

Apple has in the past made big marketing push for the iMac (then the LCD iMac) and a little for the TiBook, however, i think this year it is time it really put its muscle behind the iBook. It will do particularly well in Europe and Asia where laptops seem to be more popular. Also should do better in Education in the US.

I very much think colours will return.
In fact the enclosure is quite nice as it is, so i expect that it'll just be new colour plastics for essentially the same 12" enclosure.
That is snow/colour combinations like the last iteration of clamshell iBooks.

Cipher13
Apr 22, 2003, 10:14 AM

Graphite.

Or, even better, black.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2003, 01:47 PM

I voted for Graphite. What I really want is the Carbon-fibre composite techno look, like in the AppleSkinz replacement PowerMac panel below.

I do remember seeing a website for Japanese 3rd party Carbon-fibre look replacement covers for the iBook, but they didn't show the Apple logo. I must have the Apple logo to show my pride.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

iamnid
Senior User
Apr 22, 2003, 06:03 PM

I'd want it to be solid black like the old pismos.

BrettOZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2003, 11:23 PM

Yes - Stylish Black! Bring it back!

willed
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2003, 08:59 AM

Colours are SO 1998. They stopped being cool as soon as everyone else in the computer industry copied them, and Dell indroduced coloured wrist-pads on their grey laptops. Apple was right to drop colours. The original iBook was cute, but not cool. This was reflected in sales. The iceBook is a computer for grownups.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2003, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by iamnid:
I'd want it to be solid black like the old pismos.
yes yes yes.

ive always thought that the SGI workstations were really nice looking. dark blues and burgundy colors. that would be a pretty nice scheme for a laptop.

rmendis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2003, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by willed:
The original iBook was cute, but not cool. This was reflected in sales. The iceBook is a computer for grownups.
Well for starters the original iBooks werw a little dear (i.e expensive). In fact from what i remember i spent about the same for my PowerBook G4 as i did for my graphite iBook SE.

Also some of the colours were a little too bold - tangerine and key lime for example.

Perhaps if Apple were to make the 12" snow+indigo and the 14" snow+graphite then that might do the trick. More subtle use of colours.

Also although the curves were nice (I particularly liked the hinge...much better than the TiBook hinge...the paint's flaking of mine already and i've only had it 15 months or so) i think wasn't space efficient. The new design is nice and i think Apple should keep the shape/mold perhaps, but add colours or textured plastics or something. Something to differentiate it from the 12" PowerBook.

Well, if you want a computer for grownups you can affor what grownups can - a 12" PowerBook G4

Forum Links
Forum Rules