Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple Updates iBook Repair Program

Apple Updates iBook Repair Program
Applefreak01
Senior User
Apr 29, 2004, 11:22 AM

My iBook wasn't covered in the orginal repair program serial number range. But now it is. Now I'm just waiting for it to happen to me and I thought I was safe.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

tikki
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 11:45 AM

...and my iBook 500 is still sitting by my desk suffering from the EXACT SAME symptoms as the ones covered in the repair.

Why God Why?

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 29, 2004, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by tikki:
...and my iBook 500 is still sitting by my desk suffering from the EXACT SAME symptoms as the ones covered in the repair.

Why God Why?
Ditto for our iBook 600 8 MB. @#*&^$&%@$&

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 03:32 PM

I haven't had any problems with my 900 so far. I just bought this thing back in Feb. new from Apple. I asked the rep if these iBooks fell outside of the range for the faulty logic board problems and was informed that they were. Now they update the program and mine falls within range. Apple waited until they sold all their new ones before deceiding to update it. Talk about BS. I should have gotten a G4 or saved for a PB.

Does anyone think it would do any good to call and complain like hell?

I feel bad for all the people that have the problem and Apple won't own up to the fact that it exists.

Applefreak01  (op)
Senior User
Apr 29, 2004, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:
I haven't had any problems with my 900 so far. I just bought this thing back in Feb. new from Apple. I asked the rep if these iBooks fell outside of the range for the faulty logic board problems and was informed that they were. Now they update the program and mine falls within range. Apple waited until they sold all their new ones before deceiding to update it. Talk about BS. I should have gotten a G4 or saved for a PB.

Does anyone think it would do any good to call and complain like hell?

I feel bad for all the people that have the problem and Apple won't own up to the fact that it exists.
I agree it's BS. I haven't had any problems with my 900 either (knock on wood) but now there is a little spot in the back of my mind hoping to heck it doesn't happen to me. They should just recall all iBooks made from May 2002 to October 2003 and replace the faulty part(s) like car makers do. Granted that's a lot of iBooks and some of those might not even have the problem, but if my breaks in my car were known to fail, I wouldn't want to take the risk of driving with faulty equipment knowing that it could be fixed which might save my life.
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

tikki
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 04:57 PM

Just got off the phone with apple:

"Your iBook doesn't have the same problem as the other ones. We can fix it for a fee though..."

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Xyphoid Process
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2004, 05:19 PM

I have a friend whose iBook has a row of dead pixels on the screen - always dead and always the same row (the pixels might sometimes be the inverse of what they should be rather than just black - can't remember).

I assumed that this was a screen problem, but the logic board replacement program lists "appearance of unexpected lines on the screen". Does anyone know if this repair would be covered?

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by Xyphoid Process:
I have a friend whose iBook has a row of dead pixels on the screen - always dead and always the same row (the pixels might sometimes be the inverse of what they should be rather than just black - can't remember).

I assumed that this was a screen problem, but the logic board replacement program lists "appearance of unexpected lines on the screen". Does anyone know if this repair would be covered?
That sounds like a problem with the screen and not the video. I could be wrong. It may be covered. Have him call Apple and explain the problem to them. You never know.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2004, 08:39 PM

i never had any doubt that all ibooks could be subject to this problem and i do feel better that apple expanded their coverage.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2004, 11:51 PM

If they know they are having a problem why in the world they won't recall them and fix them before the iBooks screw us up? I just can't understand how irresponsbible is that. I mean.. why in the world do I have to wait for my iBook to go belly up and then be fixed. Is their mess, they have to clean it.

Applefreak01  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2004, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by tikki:
Just got off the phone with apple:

"Your iBook doesn't have the same problem as the other ones. We can fix it for a fee though..."
Humm. OK? So they don't admit that older iBooks have THE EXTACT SAME PROBLEM but offer to fix it anyway. Sounds kinda fishy to me. What's happening to Apple? They use to have top notch tech support and the finest quailty hardware and software in the computer business. Now they have faulty iBooks, bugs in software updates, the G5 fan issue, users not being able to update their iPods, college students hacking iTunes in 24 hours, what's next. I never thought I would say it but Apple is starting to look more and more like Micro$oft and Gateway.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 30, 2004, 09:12 AM

That "fee" is CAD$800 Canadian (US$600), to replace the logic board, BECAUSE IT HAS THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. Bargoon.

milhaus
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2004, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
That "fee" is CAD$800 Canadian (US$600), to replace the logic board, BECAUSE IT HAS THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. Bargoon.
Especially since a new G4 can be had for about $300 more now (education - clearout of 800mhz)
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2
|Laptop:| Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz AE BT 768MB 10.3
|Laptop 2:| Compaq 1050CA 1.4ghz Centrino 512MB Win XP Home

finboy
May 2, 2004, 02:32 PM

Just checked -- mine's in there now. Bought new in late December. You'd think they'd know enough to figure things out and actually send out a recall notice.

villalobos
Mac Elite
May 6, 2004, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by finboy:
Just checked -- mine's in there now. Bought new in late December. You'd think they'd know enough to figure things out and actually send out a recall notice.
Well just happened to my Ibook. The thing was DOA when I got it 2.5 years ago. Then the moher board failed ONE day after the AppleCare expired ($275 thank you), then it is failing again as we speak. 3 logic boards in 2.5 years. Not too bad..

Oh but wait since they are sorry they are gonna upgrade my combo drive to a x24. Ooh yeah, it's just that it's all you guys have in stock...

Pathetic

villa

villalobos
Mac Elite
May 13, 2004, 10:14 PM

Well, just got my IBook back. New 'new' board. Requires a special version of 10.3 (7F44). Got a faster combo drive which definitely reads DVD faster (SD-R2412).
So far so good. Hopefully, it will work now.

villa

Forum Links
Forum Rules