Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Powerbook and Airport Express won't print on hp deskjet

Powerbook and Airport Express won't print on hp deskjet
PatsPalace24
Jul 23, 2004, 09:01 PM

Just a question. I picked up an Airport Express today, and I set it up fine. I love it soo much, and this is my first wireless internet connection, so it feels good to type this on my lap w/o any wires. So of the three connections/plugs, 2 of them are working great. Obviously my internet is working great. I successfully used my JBL Creature Speakers to play music over my house wirelessly. The thing that isn't workin is my USB printer. An HP Deskjet 3650. Just to clear up anything, the printer works fine. I plugged the USB to my Powerbook and successfully printed some pages. I installed all the software and drivers from hp.com, so the printer itself is working. But when I try to connect the USB into the Airport Express, I try to print, and when I press print, the printer HP dialog box opens up, and gets stuck on the Opening Printer Connection, it stops, and then says "Failed: Unable to open the printer connection." I have no idea what the problem is, as the wireless internet connection is working properly. Next, I realized that in the printer dialog box, the printer was still set to the USB one. So I clicked it, then on Rendevous, then selected the hp deskjet 3650 from the list. It paused and then says "Creating Printer".... Then an error dialog box says "unable to add the selected printer." Any idea why its displaying this? I have no idea? Any help is greatly appreciated, I really wanna get this thing fully working!
15" Powerbook G4 1.5
512 MB, 80GB 5400 Hard Drive
Superdrive, AP, Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard
20 GB 3G iPod

ctbritt
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2004, 04:12 AM

I'm having the exact same problem with the exact same hardware setup. This seems to be a bug in the drivers or the Airport Express ... I guess. Hope someone finds a fix.
Christopher Allbritton
MacOS X 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 15-in. 2.33 GHz MBP 2 CD
www.back-to-iraq.com

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 08:59 AM

is printer sharing turned on? this might be a thread for the networking forum...

ctbritt
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2004, 01:38 PM

Found it. The HP 3650 is not supported under the Airport Extreme or Express. Crap.
Christopher Allbritton
MacOS X 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 15-in. 2.33 GHz MBP 2 CD
www.back-to-iraq.com

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 04:18 PM

what other printers are not supported?
iamwhor3hay

im_noahselby
Senior User
Aug 12, 2004, 07:01 PM

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107418

According to this webpage, the HP Deskjet 3650 is not officically supported.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

sworthy
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 07:22 PM

at first my samsung ml 1710 didn't work as it should. However, instead of having the usb cable plugged in when the express started up, I unplugged it, and didn't plug it in until after I reset the express. Now it works, even though it isn't on the official list.

Forum Links
Forum Rules