Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Getting a second Airport Express

Getting a second Airport Express
PatsPalace24
Feb 3, 2005, 11:00 PM

If I have an existing airport express connected to my ethernet connection, and that works great. But the thing is, I want to have AirTunes in my room. Currently, I just bring my powerbook up to my room and feed off the wireless connection, but now that I want airtunes, i need a second airport express up there for the audio line, which i dont mind getting. Just one thing. Does this one need to connect to an ethernet connection as well, or can it just search for the existing wireless connection, and connect to that? Basically, acting as an wireless extender, but also to add an audio line. Thanks
15" Powerbook G4 1.5
512 MB, 80GB 5400 Hard Drive
Superdrive, AP, Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard
20 GB 3G iPod

larkost
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 01:02 PM

The second 'Express can get its internet connection wirelessly from the first through a method called WDS. You will get slower speeds due to using bandwidth for both the incoming and outgoing connections, but you probably won't notice because WiFi is so much faster than broadband connections.

PatsPalace24  (op)
Feb 4, 2005, 05:38 PM

Sweet. So my setup will work fine, without a "hardwired" ethernet cable running into the airport express in my room? That is soo kick. So realistically, I could have one in every room of my house, but each sharing off the one internet one in my computer room w/ the actual ethernet cable in it? WoW
15" Powerbook G4 1.5
512 MB, 80GB 5400 Hard Drive
Superdrive, AP, Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard
20 GB 3G iPod

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2005, 08:39 AM

The functionality you're asking about is bridging - extending the range of a network with extra routers. In this case you're talking about wireless bridging. Express does do wireless bridging.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Pilotkev
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
The functionality you're asking about is bridging - extending the range of a network with extra routers. In this case you're talking about wireless bridging. Express does do wireless bridging.
Will the Airport Express do wireless bridging with a Belking wireless router? I am about to buy a 12" PBook and I am concerned that the internal AE card may not work all over my house. The Belkin router is in the basement and I was thinking of putting the Airport Express upstairs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kevin

larkost
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2005, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Pilotkev:
Will the Airport Express do wireless bridging with a Belking wireless router? I am about to buy a 12" PBook and I am concerned that the internal AE card may not work all over my house. The Belkin router is in the basement and I was thinking of putting the Airport Express upstairs.

Any thoughts?
You need to do some searching for your own information. There is no real standard for this sort for thing (on purpose), so the answer is probably going to be no. Your search terms should probably include the model number of your existing Belkin, "AirPort" and "WDS".

Forum Links
Forum Rules