Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best Way to Backup!?!?!

Best Way to Backup!?!?!
PatsPalace24
Jun 21, 2005, 10:09 PM

In order to do this "clean install," I need to back everything up. I have never backed anything up, I know thats bad and I need to start, so I guess I start now... I know I should back up my applications and and everything like FCP, ect... Documents would be nice, but not a necessity...
But my main question is how to backup? I don't have an external HD and iPod isnt big enough. I have plenty of blank DVD's, so I guess this would be the easiest. Do I just drag my apps folder inot Toast or what (I don't think thats right). Please help, b/c I want this clean install soon! Thanks alot guys!
15" Powerbook G4 1.5
512 MB, 80GB 5400 Hard Drive
Superdrive, AP, Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard
20 GB 3G iPod

jdogg99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 08:38 AM

I always recommend that powerbook users have an external drive for backup. I've had two powerbook drive failures (long-term, after about 1 year), and a backup drive was indispensable. With all the movement your computer experiences, along with greater chances for accidents and theft, it really makes sense to get a backup drive, especially because they're so cheap. I recently got a 250GB Lacie drive for my dad for $180; alternatively you can get an external case for about $40 and put whatever drive you want inside. You can pretty easily get an 80GB external drive for less than $100.

I use a cloning program to make an exact bootable copy of my internal drive on the backup one. When the internal drive fails, you can always operate the computer off your external drive (very seamlessly, except for the diminished portability). Try Superduper, Carbon Copy Cloner, or even Apple's Disk Utility.

You COULD just burn DVDs of all your stuff, but restoring after the clean install with be a huge pain.

Good Luck!

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2005, 06:38 PM

To actually answer your question, yes, you drag things and burn DVDs. Be aware that some apps don't like this sort of backup, and you won't copy dot files (like .cshrc, etc.) on which UNIX-saavy apps may use (like SSH). But in general you'll be fine if you backup by drag-and-drop. Start with your documents, which are the most valuable things of all.

A more reliable way, which *properly* backs up, is Retrospect from Dantz. It seems slow to me, but it does the job. (Then take those backups and move them away from your desk; don't let a house fire or theft get both your laptop and all the backups. A bank safe-deposit box is less than $50/year and is a pretty secure place.)

And I'd like to second jdogg99, when you've done this backup go and find an external drive. I also had two newly-manufactured 80 GB PB drives go bad last winter.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2005, 10:59 PM

Hop on over to newegg.com and buy an external firewire enclosure. Then find a great deal on an external HD. Put the two together, you now have a nice big cheap firewire HD.

If possible burn off extreamly important data onto a DVD or CD as well. Never hurts.

redheadfred
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2005, 11:23 PM

I've tried this software called iBackup to backup stuff, it seems to work pretty well. I haven't had to restore anything yet, but you can backup all your settings and keychain stuff. Check it out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules