Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I ordered a new ibook g4 for work

I ordered a new ibook g4 for work
teerexx52
Aug 27, 2005, 03:21 PM

I just ordered from Amazon a new ibook G4 12" 1.33. I am a teacher and plan on taking it back and forth to work each day. Does anyone have any suggestions for startup the first time? Should I buy Office or use a freeware version? Looking forward to getting it especially with the $100 Amazon rebate. Makes it a good deal. Thanks

yogi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2005, 06:31 PM

welcome to the club! initial startup of your mac couldn't be easier, just follow on screen instructions. do take advantage of your 90 day free phone support with apple, in my experience they are very helpful with new customers.
It is reccommended you initialize your battery. Plug in iBook and charge fully. unplug and use the battery up until the iBook automatically goes to sleep. charge fully again and you are good to go. You can reference Apples support site for more info.
Your iBook comes with Appleworks (which, surprisingly, the PB doesn't) some ppl will say appleworks is crap but it does everything I've ever needed it to. It is fully functional and easy to use word processor/database/spread sheet etc app. unless you are regularly swapping MS Word files, there is really no reason to spend the cash for MS office. So I'd suggest trying out with appleworks before looking at alternatives. As a teacher, iWork might have some usefulness for you. Again check the Apple site.

cheers
yogi

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2005, 06:53 PM

I would purchase Word. I don't like supporting Microsoft, but it's a wonderful program to have as it's "the standard" in office applications.

That being said, if money is tight, hold off on buying it until you find that you need it. You can get it for a reasonable amount of money.

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2005, 08:43 PM

as a teacher, you qualify for edu pricing on office, much less than regular price. You'll need it, especially if you need to share docs with colleagues.

teerexx52  (op)
Aug 27, 2005, 08:46 PM

Thanks very much. I should be getting the ibook Tuesday and can't wait to work with it. Was tempting to wait for Intel processor but who knows how long that would be and of what advantage overall it would be for me doing my type of work.

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2005, 11:41 PM

You have two choices as an educator when it comes to office. The Student Teacher version, think $99 with current sale, or MS-Office full but discounted. I got the Student/Teacher one. I did dabble with Appleworks and Pages. But I needed a spreadsheet compatible with Excel.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2005, 12:04 AM

IMHO, Pages is not a replacement for Word. Pages is a page layout program with word processing abilities.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2005, 01:42 AM

First, see if AppleWorks will do what you need. If not, download the free, open-source NeoOffice. I've found it has no problem with any of the Word or Powerpoint files I've thrown at it; haven't tested it with spreadsheet, database etc. but reports on the new version's compatibility with MS Office docs are encouraging. I think NeoOffice will give about 94% of MS Office users everything they need, and it improves with every version. At least give it a shot before contributing to the monopolist.

teerexx52  (op)
Aug 28, 2005, 05:40 AM

I have been looking at NeoOffice and will give it a try right away. The other concern I have is the screen size. I didn't want the 14" as I wanted the lightest most portable ibook I coould get. Will the screen be big enough? Opinions? Thanks

freudling
Banned
Aug 28, 2005, 05:52 AM

As for software, just do the right thing.

yogi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2005, 01:53 PM

thats one of the major caveats with the iBook--the 14" screen is the same resolution as the 12"--ie the pixels are just bigger. Some people say text is fuzzier, but I can't see it. But having said that, the 14" screen is big enough for everyday use, and is not that much heavier than the 12".

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2005, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by yogi
thats one of the major caveats with the iBook--the 14" screen is the same resolution as the 12"--ie the pixels are just bigger. Some people say text is fuzzier, but I can't see it. But having said that, the 14" screen is big enough for everyday use, and is not that much heavier than the 12".

I think the 12" screen is a great size. It may feel a little cramped if doing design work or a big project, but for surfing the web, email, writing papers, etc, it's fine.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2005, 12:32 AM

Agreed -- it's surprising how roomy the 12" screen can feel. That said, if you use apps with lots of palettes or just feel cramped, consider getting an external display and keyboard for desktop use. Prices have come down considerably in the last year or so, and you can find recommendations in the Peripherals forum.

krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2005, 12:07 PM

I noticed a significant drop in clarity when I first went from the 12" iBook G3 to the 14" iBookG4. Also, the extra pound made a big difference lugging back and forth to work everyday. I've gone back to the 12" w/my new iBook (yet to arrive).

teerexx52  (op)
Aug 29, 2005, 01:21 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. The UPS truck is due in about 2 hours and I will fire the ibook up. I will post here my first impressions. Can't wait to get it.

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2005, 01:56 PM

congrats, man. i'm on the prev rev 12", love it love it love it. sure you will, too.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

teerexx52  (op)
Aug 29, 2005, 03:36 PM

It's here!!! I am using it now. So far so good

Forum Links
Forum Rules