Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > anyone have both a mb and a mbp?

anyone have both a mb and a mbp?
HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2006, 06:27 PM

If so, how would you compare the two's performance and build quality?

I want to get one of these a year from now. I know that there will likely be at least one upgrade to the machines between now and then, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to just ask now. I originally intended to just get a mbp and leave it at that...mainly due to the larger screen...I am a young girl, but I have old people's eyes so the larger screen size of the mbp would be most desirable...plus I am used to 15.4 widescreen with my current PC laptop. However, I am wondering if it would be worth it to sacrafice the better portability for a larger screen size. My curren tlaptop is just too heavy to carry with me and I travel few times a year with it and also like to take it with me on campus at times.

I do plan to eventually sell my Mac mini and get a maxed out iMac so I wouldn't mind haivng lower specs on my next laptop.

Anyway, could anyone here share their experiences IF they have owned both aa mb AND a mbp? Thanks.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2006, 02:20 AM

I have a MBP 2.0GHz (was top of the line before they bumped the clock speed) and a black MB 2.0GHz.

Performance: Equal with two exceptions. 1.) If you rely on the GPU (3D games for example) you will clearly notice the MBP's superior GPU with dedicated VRAM. 2.) HDD. I chose a 7200 RPM HDD for my MBP and when I read/write large chunks of data it is clearly faster (booting is faster for example). If you would gte a MBP with a 5400 RPM HDD this is a non-issue.

Build Quality/Design: My MBP is basically flawless; the keys are fine, the lid is well aligned and has equal spacing from the base, the Al finish is perfect. The black MB is fine too. It's trackpad clicker can miss clicks sometime, but other than that it's perfect. The black finish is beautiful and seems very robust. I put my BlackBook in my briefcase and in a backpack w/o a protective sleeve (haven't found a nice one yet) and it hasn't suffered a bit. That's something I'd never do with my MBP. Both Books exhibit a slight whine (meaning you can hear it in a silent environment but not when you're in normal office conditions with background noise). The MB's latch design is just so much nicer than the MBP's even though the magnetic latches of the MBP are neat. The fact that RAM and HDD can be exchanged so easily on the MB are really just great design aspects.

Screen: The MB's 113.5 ppi are slightly higher than the MBP's 110.3, so if you say you have bad eyes, you might want to take into account. I think both have an excellent screen although the MBP's horizontal viewing angle is certainly larger. The MB's glossy screen has nicer and more intense colors, but of course if you have strong light sources behind you, the glare is well noticeable. The MBP offers 27% more pixels.

Portability: The MB is a more portable notebook than the MBP, there's no doubt. I lift the MB around with one hand all the time whereas I hardly ever do it with the MBP and when I do, I don't like the feeling. OTOH the difference between the two is far less than it used to be with the 12" vs. 15" PB. The MB is fairly heavy compared to the 12" PB and thus the difference to the MBP isn't that extreme. It's noticeable, but it isn't shattering. The wide form factor is very similar, so the MB is still a rather wide notebook, but it's clearly more compact then the MBP.

Finally, the MBP is likely to be updated in Fall when it will receive Merom and hopefully some design changes. Till MSWF I doubt the MB will any updates other than maybe a slight clock increase.

Bottom line is, IMHO if you need a notebook that requires a fast GPU (for gaming or professional graphics apps) or you need all the pixels you can get, buy a MBP. If not, a MB will suit you better. Just make sure you get both with at least 1GB RAM. If you plan on using Rosetta apps a lot, go ahead and get 2GB.
( Last edited by Simon; Jun 22, 2006 at 02:29 AM. )

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2006, 04:18 AM

wow...thanks for the insight!!!!! i did notice that the weight between the two isn't that much of a diff and both are 1 pound lighter than what i have now....lol. it will be nice to see what they come up with as far as updates to the mbp.

teerexx52
Jun 22, 2006, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
I have a MBP 2.0GHz (was top of the line before they bumped the clock speed) and a black MB 2.0GHz.

Performance: Equal with two exceptions. 1.) If you rely on the GPU (3D games for example) you will clearly notice the MBP's superior GPU with dedicated VRAM. 2.) HDD. I chose a 7200 RPM HDD for my MBP and when I read/write large chunks of data it is clearly faster (booting is faster for example). If you would gte a MBP with a 5400 RPM HDD this is a non-issue.

Build Quality/Design: My MBP is basically flawless; the keys are fine, the lid is well aligned and has equal spacing from the base, the Al finish is perfect. The black MB is fine too. It's trackpad clicker can miss clicks sometime, but other than that it's perfect. The black finish is beautiful and seems very robust. I put my BlackBook in my briefcase and in a backpack w/o a protective sleeve (haven't found a nice one yet) and it hasn't suffered a bit. That's something I'd never do with my MBP. Both Books exhibit a slight whine (meaning you can hear it in a silent environment but not when you're in normal office conditions with background noise). The MB's latch design is just so much nicer than the MBP's even though the magnetic latches of the MBP are neat. The fact that RAM and HDD can be exchanged so easily on the MB are really just great design aspects.

Screen: The MB's 113.5 ppi are slightly higher than the MBP's 110.3, so if you say you have bad eyes, you might want to take into account. I think both have an excellent screen although the MBP's horizontal viewing angle is certainly larger. The MB's glossy screen has nicer and more intense colors, but of course if you have strong light sources behind you, the glare is well noticeable. The MBP offers 27% more pixels.

Portability: The MB is a more portable notebook than the MBP, there's no doubt. I lift the MB around with one hand all the time whereas I hardly ever do it with the MBP and when I do, I don't like the feeling. OTOH the difference between the two is far less than it used to be with the 12" vs. 15" PB. The MB is fairly heavy compared to the 12" PB and thus the difference to the MBP isn't that extreme. It's noticeable, but it isn't shattering. The wide form factor is very similar, so the MB is still a rather wide notebook, but it's clearly more compact then the MBP.

Finally, the MBP is likely to be updated in Fall when it will receive Merom and hopefully some design changes. Till MSWF I doubt the MB will any updates other than maybe a slight clock increase.

Bottom line is, IMHO if you need a notebook that requires a fast GPU (for gaming or professional graphics apps) or you need all the pixels you can get, buy a MBP. If not, a MB will suit you better. Just make sure you get both with at least 1GB RAM. If you plan on using Rosetta apps a lot, go ahead and get 2GB.

I have a white macbook 100gb Hitachi 7200 HD and 2GB of ram and a 2.0 MacBook Pro before the speed bumps. I find having two computers a bit of a pain. I have thought of selling one but just cannot make up my mind which one. I do cart one to work each day and I am not a gamer. What are your experiences with the two? Do you have a preference?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2006, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by teerexx52
I find having two computers a bit of a pain.

Aww its a hard life isn't it....

What do you find a pain about having 2? The only thing I find a pain having an iMac and a MacBook is going to use one of them and realising the file is on the other computer, though I overcame that obstacle using an auto-syncing program like FolderShare, and I love it .

Though I haven't had experience with the MBP, from what you said I would keep the MacBook. When I was looking on the UK Apple site earlier, they had put refurb MBPs on there for £930, and I 1dt thought to myself 'damn, for a bit more than I paid for my MB a few weeks back I could get a MBP', but on second thought comparing the 2 machines, I realised I didn't need a GPU, and didn't want a bigger machine, and so I was once again happy with my purchase. Obviously people's needs are different, and if the laptop is to be your only computer (ie you won't have an iMac with a dedicated vid card), then perhaps the MBP will serve better, but if you strictly do not, and have no reason to in the future, use graphics intensive programs, the I rekon the MB will suit you down to the ground.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

teerexx52
Jun 22, 2006, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Aww its a hard life isn't it....

What do you find a pain about having 2? The only thing I find a pain having an iMac and a MacBook is going to use one of them and realising the file is on the other computer, though I overcame that obstacle using an auto-syncing program like FolderShare, and I love it .

Though I haven't had experience with the MBP, from what you said I would keep the MacBook. When I was looking on the UK Apple site earlier, they had put refurb MBPs on there for £930, and I 1dt thought to myself 'damn, for a bit more than I paid for my MB a few weeks back I could get a MBP', but on second thought comparing the 2 machines, I realised I didn't need a GPU, and didn't want a bigger machine, and so I was once again happy with my purchase. Obviously people's needs are different, and if the laptop is to be your only computer (ie you won't have an iMac with a dedicated vid card), then perhaps the MBP will serve better, but if you strictly do not, and have no reason to in the future, use graphics intensive programs, the I rekon the MB will suit you down to the ground.
I do agree with the "hard life"

I think with me having one computer has always been what I've done. I had the MacBook Pro first. I came from a PowerBook 12" so the jump in size was noticeable when carting it back and forth to work. I have Parallels on my Pro running Windows as well. I know I could do the same on my MacBook. I don;t do any graphics intensive stuff or am I a gamer so again the MacBook does me well. I think my main hang up is screen size. I am not sure the 13.3 is enough for me. So, I continue to play with the idea of selling one. I'll figure it out sooner or later)))

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2006, 06:44 AM

I do agree with the "hard life"

I think with me having one computer has always been what I've done. I had the MacBook Pro first. I came from a PowerBook 12" so the jump in size was noticeable when carting it back and forth to work. I have Parallels on my Pro running Windows as well. I know I could do the same on my MacBook. I don;t do any graphics intensive stuff or am I a gamer so again the MacBook does me well. I think my main hang up is screen size. I am not sure the 13.3 is enough for me. So, I continue to play with the idea of selling one. I'll figure it out sooner or later)))
Well why not keep the MacBook, and with the money you saved, buy an Apple Cinema Display (or even a Dell widecreen display) for use at work, making the 13" screen a non issue, at least at work. Heck, if you get the Dell screen, you'd save a lot of money off the Cinema Display, so you could get 2, one for home, one for work, and it would still work out less than the cost of a MBP and a MB, and this way, you still have the portability of the smaller MB
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2006, 09:06 AM

I have a white macbook 100gb Hitachi 7200 HD and 2GB of ram and a 2.0 MacBook Pro before the speed bumps. I find having two computers a bit of a pain. I have thought of selling one but just cannot make up my mind which one. I do cart one to work each day and I am not a gamer. What are your experiences with the two? Do you have a preference?
If you want to keep both, you just need to learn how to do either AFP sharing (in the Finder) or scp (in the shell) and then you'll be able to copy everything to and from the other machine when you need it.

If you really want to sell one, judging by what you say about no games and portability, I'd recommend keeping the MB and selling the MBP.

I'd also look into harrisjamieh's suggestion to buy one or two large external screens and hook the Book up to them at home and/or at work. I use such a setup (23" ACD at home, 20" ACD and 21" Eizo) at work and I'd never go back to anything else. 15.4" or 13.3" is great when you're on the road, but when I get down to real work at a real desk I want as much screen as possible, a real keyboard and a real mouse. Nothing beats a MB(P) with an ACD.

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2006, 09:33 AM

ironicallyt my PC laptop just died on me...literally...this morning. I grabbed it and was about to look up something when I notice the screen is gone....a big black circle is on the screen along with a bunch of rainbow colored stripes. And then the screen started turning funky colors on me. It was wierd. I restarted it and it did the same thing coupled with no mouse functionality. I may end up getting a new macbook(pro) sooner than I intended . Oh well....good riddens to bad rubbish.....I hated that laptop anyway. I am pretty sure I won't buy another PC again but even if I did, it will NEVER be another Acer .

Anyway, thanks again for the input you all.

teerexx52
Jun 22, 2006, 10:13 AM

If you want to keep both, you just need to learn how to do either AFP sharing (in the Finder) or scp (in the shell) and then you'll be able to copy everything to and from the other machine when you need it.

If you really want to sell one, judging by what you say about no games and portability, I'd recommend keeping the MB and selling the MBP.

I'd also look into harrisjamieh's suggestion to buy one or two large external screens and hook the Book up to them at home and/or at work. I use such a setup (23" ACD at home, 20" ACD and 21" Eizo) at work and I'd never go back to anything else. 15.4" or 13.3" is great when you're on the road, but when I get down to real work at a real desk I want as much screen as possible, a real keyboard and a real mouse. Nothing beats a MB(P) with an ACD.

Do you find the ACD 23" overwhelming at all?

teerexx52
Jun 22, 2006, 10:14 AM

That's pretty much what I intend to do. I really like the MacBook. If it had come out first I would probably bought that one and not the Pro. Thanks!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2006, 10:31 AM

Do you find the ACD 23" overwhelming at all?
Not a bit. Quite the opposite actually - ever since I got used to it, the 20" ACD seems so small.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 22, 2006, 11:38 AM

20" ACD and 21" Eizo at work
How'd you get 2 screens connected to your laptop?

teerexx52
Jun 22, 2006, 01:24 PM

Not a bit. Quite the opposite actually - ever since I got used to it, the 20" ACD seems so small.
WOW Good to know

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by seanc
How'd you get 2 screens connected to your laptop?
I don't because I can't.

I work in a large lab environment so I have several locations where I normally set up my gear. The ACD and the Eizo are at two different locations.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 23, 2006, 09:39 AM

I don't because I can't.

I work in a large lab environment so I have several locations where I normally set up my gear. The ACD and the Eizo are at two different locations.
Ah, that explains it then.

Forum Links
Forum Rules