Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > HOW CAN I COPY MY DVDs?

HOW CAN I COPY MY DVDs?
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2006, 11:37 PM

I would like to make copies of my rightfully purchased DVDs.

Especially I would like to make copies of my European DVDs which I cannot play on my American DVD player.

So I would copy them, and hopefully without that bothering region code.

Who the hell in the USA wants to pirate "Ein echter Wiener geht nicht unter", an Austrian TV show from the 70's?

But I want to watch it on my Tv.

Any hints?

Can I do it with disc utility?

Or do I have to use ffmpex - I somehow cannot fit the three parts of the software together.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2006, 11:50 PM

Mac the Ripper then use Toast 7
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2006, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
I would like to make copies of my rightfully purchased DVDs.

Especially I would like to make copies of my European DVDs which I cannot play on my American DVD player.
You have not paid for the right to do this.

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Who the hell in the USA wants to pirate "Ein echter Wiener geht nicht unter", an Austrian TV show from the 70's?

But I want to watch it on my Tv.
Apparently you.

stravinsky1911
Dec 29, 2006, 01:58 AM

Apparently mduell is either very funny and sarcastic, or is a jerk. I second the Mac the Ripper / Toast combo.
timeline - SE/30, some crappy performa, original bondi iMac 233, TiBook500, macbook pro 2GHz

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2006, 11:21 AM

We at MacNN take the idea of piracy very seriously. We also take the established principles of "fair use" just as seriously. That does not mean that all of our members are as broad-minded as our staff. I personally believe that a back up copy of any media is a valid and legal use. Mac the Ripper should be quite effective in making such PERSONAL BACK UPS. As it also could provide the unscrupulous with a means of producing illegal copies, I have to also point out that we here do not condone and will not assist or enable any person's illegal activities with this software. It is the USER's responsibility to ensure compliance with the law where he or she is, and therefore we simply point this out.

And Veltliner, please avoid the "all caps" use in titles. It's unnecessary and unpleasant. Thanks!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2006, 02:31 PM

Agreed!
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

Madrag
Senior User
Dec 29, 2006, 02:50 PM

on topic, and out of curiosity:

If the OP inserts the region 2 DVDs into his/hers mac's drive, which has the US region code, will it automatically *use* the available region trials (3?), or does it do it only if you open DVD player?

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2006, 03:24 PM

only when playing through DVD player

Using an app like VLC, it ignores region encoding

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2006, 03:48 PM

VLC, Toast and MacTheRipper are all awesome. Highly recommended for anyone and everyone.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2006, 06:20 PM

The drive's region changes are only a potential issue if the drive is being used BY AN APP to decode the DVD data. The PLAYER's region changes are only an issue if the PLAYER is decoding the data. Players that pull raw data off the DVD and decode it without paying attention to the region don't increment either change and are thus the method of choice.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

philm
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2006, 10:01 PM

You can probably find a method to de-regionalise your DVD player via Google. I just did this for my DVD player. I have used Mac the Ripper to make copies of my kids' DVDs (they get the copy and I keep hold of the original in case of scratches etc) but I found the process long and tedious TBH.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2006, 03:18 AM

stevesnj: thanks for the info. Do I need toast7, or would iDVD work?

mduell: you are neither funny, nor witty, but definitely rude. If you are looking for a duel, look elsewhere, possibly in a mirror.

Only a complete idiot could believe I wanted to pirate an Austrian 1970's TV show for the American market.

ghporter: No more caps in the title. Promised.

I also think I can copy my own dvds for my own use, especially to watch interlaced video on an interlaced TV screen (computer screens are progressive, and movies don't look as good there, and the Austrian show is already a pretty bad transcript from the analog tapes, and loses even more on the monitor).

I work professionally in a field that loses a lot to piracy, so I'm definitely very sensitive to it, and I appreciate the sensitivity of this forum towards this issue.

This is why I was very clear about why and what I wanted to copy.

stravinski1911: thanks for the moral support. I guess you are a big music fan. Igor Stravinski wrote "Petrushka" in 1911. Is this your favorite piece by him?

madraq: the DVD drive in the iMac can only be switched from one regional code to another for a certain number of times (I think the number of switches is 5) After this, the player stays in that region. Be careful: you could end up having it freeze in the setting for the Venus region (and Venusian movies suck). This is why I only play my European DVDs on my iMac, and leave it in region 2.

The vlan player does not have this issue.

But generally: watching videos on a computer screen will never be as good as on a TV screen. Interlaced and progressive don't play well with each other.
( Last edited by Veltliner; Dec 30, 2006 at 03:47 AM. )

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2006, 03:27 AM

Philm, how can you deregionalise your dvd player? Via google? I never heard of that.

It would make things so much easier.

Does it have to be a brand new DVD player? My Sony is about 2 or 3 years old.

Just got some new European DVDs for Chrismas, and I can only watch the cover, not the movie, as I have to wait for my new SuperDrive to arrive (and replace the broken one).

PS: There is a discussion going to drop regions altogether. They were created at a time, when movies used to come to European theaters months, often half a year after their American release. Now movies come out practically the same week world wide, and regional codes are obsolete.

ghporter: you seem to mention region free dvd players. But I could not find any on the internet.

Madrag
Senior User
Dec 30, 2006, 07:19 AM

thanks for the replies about the region code.

As for de-regionalise via Google, he ment to do a search with google.
I've read about it before, you could also check xlr8yourmac.com

The region free players, assuming you are referring to the set top boxes, many have loop holes, where you can insert a code/sequence to turn it into region 0.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2006, 03:55 PM

by discussing this we're showing people how to pirate DVDs, like it or not
it also contains personal attacks and thread title in capitals.

Lockinated.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Forum Links
Forum Rules