Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > strange sleep problem

strange sleep problem
TFunkadelic
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2007, 04:05 AM

Lately, it seems since the last update, I'm having a weird sleep problem with my Powerbook G4. When I put it to sleep, between 5-10 seconds later it'll come back on, seemingly for no reason at all. Anyone know what's up here?

stravinsky1911
Mar 17, 2007, 09:32 PM

Do you have a network communication going on that would cause it to wake? Someone trying to log on remotely?
timeline - SE/30, some crappy performa, original bondi iMac 233, TiBook500, macbook pro 2GHz

TFunkadelic  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2007, 06:44 PM

nope

mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 18, 2007, 07:11 PM

Open up the Console program (Applications/Utilities), and have a look at System.log after one of these episodes. It should give some hints as to what action is waking the machine up.

TFunkadelic  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2007, 03:20 AM

Mar 19 02:18:15 trevor-petersons-powerbook-g4-15 mDNSResponder: Repeated transitions for interface en1; delaying packets by 5 seconds
Mar 19 02:18:15 trevor-petersons-powerbook-g4-15 /usr/sbin/AppleFileServer: AppleFileServer ResetATalkService race detected\n

that mean anything to anyone?
( Last edited by TFunkadelic; Mar 19, 2007 at 03:20 AM. Reason: added info)

mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 20, 2007, 12:01 AM

The first line is harmless. Basically, its the result of your network going down and up in less than a minute (see Re: mDNSResponder: Repeated transitions for interface en1 for info).

Not too sure about the importance of the second line. You could try disabling File Sharing in System Preferences and see if that makes a difference. You could also disconnect the network before putting it to sleep to rule out network related wakeups.

I take it these are the only 2 lines appearing in the logs when you put the machine to sleep and it wakes up?

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 01:49 AM

Are you using any Bluetooth devices? Or have you recently used any Bluetooth devices that you THINK you are no longer using? If so be sure and turn off "Allow Bluetooth Devices to Wake this computer". If that doesn't work be sure ANY Bluetooth devices are far far away and retest sleep.
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

TFunkadelic  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2007, 02:03 AM

the only bluetooth device I've ever used was my dads cell phone, about a year ago and he doesn't even use that phone anymore, so it's not that. I'm exhausted at the moment, so I'll have to mess around with the network stuff tomorrow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules