Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just ordered macbook! <3

Just ordered macbook! <3
Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2007, 05:57 AM

Woo, I've finally ordered the macbook that I have been craving for for months following good exam results!

Heres the spec:
White macbook 2.16GHz intel core 2 duo
2GB RAM
160GB HDD

I also bought the mini-dvi to DVI connector so I can hook it up to my external screen

Also bought a nice and sexy case for it, as well as the Apple wireless mighty mouse!

Omg i'm so excited however sad it seems!

Should be with me in 2 weeks time or before, cant wait!

Yeah so anyway, I just thought I'd share my excitement with the MacNN crew!

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2007, 06:30 AM

Awesome your gonna love it..... you should have upgraded the ram yourself tho.. to save a few pennys!!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Andhee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2007, 06:50 AM

Oh aye but I thought it would be worth those few extra pennys to get it all sorted, its my first mac and I dont want to ruin it by putting RAM in wrongly. But woo anyway!

turntabletux
Aug 28, 2007, 06:00 PM

congrats! I know that getting mine was one of the smartest decisions I've made.

MacBook Core 2 Duo 2GHZ 1GB of RAM

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2007, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
Awesome your gonna love it..... you should have upgraded the ram yourself tho.. to save a few pennys!!!
Nah, it's much better to have your total RAM covered by your warranty. Apple's not charging as much of a premium on their RAM as in the past.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by DKeithA View Post
Nah, it's much better to have your total RAM covered by your warranty. Apple's not charging as much of a premium on their RAM as in the past.
What advantage is there to having RAM covered by Apple's warranty, which is much shorter than the RAM manufacturers warranty?

And Apple wants $150 for the 1GB->2GB upgrade. You can buy 2GB outright for half that (and then sell the 1GB). Apple is still up to their old trick of charging triple retail for memory.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2007, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
What advantage is there to having RAM covered by Apple's warranty, which is much shorter than the RAM manufacturers warranty?

And Apple wants $150 for the 1GB->2GB upgrade. You can buy 2GB outright for half that (and then sell the 1GB). Apple is still up to their old trick of charging triple retail for memory.
I've bought 3rd party RAM from different sources (Crucial, RamJet, etc.) and had a few bad experiences. I've never had a single issue in 15 years from Apple's RAM. To each his own, but I'll always buy RAM upgrades from the Mothership when I buy a new Mac.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2007, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post

Yeah thats where i was coming from... i upgraded mine from 512 to 1gig and wish i'd done it myself and put 2gig in.
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2007, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by DKeithA View Post
I've bought 3rd party RAM from different sources (Crucial, RamJet, etc.) and had a few bad experiences. I've never had a single issue in 15 years from Apple's RAM. To each his own, but I'll always buy RAM upgrades from the Mothership when I buy a new Mac.
Do what you will with your money (hey, some people flush quarters down the toilet in the middle of the desert), but suggesting that 3rd party RAM wouldn't be covered by an equal or better warranty or claiming that Apple's memory prices are anywhere industry norms is misleading.

Forum Links
Forum Rules