Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple to meet with SBB over iPad Clock app dispute

Apple to meet with SBB over iPad Clock app dispute
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 24, 2012, 09:15 AM

Representatives from Apple are set to meet with people from Swiss Federal Railways (SBB) "in coming days or weeks," according to a spokeswoman for the latter company. "There's been no agreement so far, we're going to talk about it," Patricia Claivaz tells Agence France-Presse. SBB and watchmaker Mondaine have threatened action against Apple over the new Clock app in iOS 6, arguing that the faux-analog clocks it displays are similar to a design created in 1944 by engineer Hans Hilfiker, used at stations by SBB, and later licensed to Mondaine.

Claivaz dismisses insinuations that SBB might demand money as "speculation," adding that the railway doesn't want to "upset them [Apple] by asking for money." She in fact claims that SBB is "rather proud that a brand as important as Apple is using our design," which is "already on show in exhibitions in places like New York." SBB's lawyers are said to have requested the meeting. iOS 6 marks the first time the iPad has had a native Clock app. The controversial graphics are used to present times in one or more different cities. If Apple and SBB can't come to an agreement SBB may be likely to win any court case, owing to the direct parallels between its design and the one used by Apple.

Roehlstation
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2012, 10:39 AM

*facepalm*

Seriously guys, you can't complain when Samsung steals your designs, and then go ahead and do it so blatantly to someone else.

mytdave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2012, 11:09 AM

Apple, seriously, just change the look of the clock and be done with it.
"One World, one Web, one Program" - Microsoft promotional ad
"Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2012, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Roehlstation View Post
*facepalm*

Seriously guys, you can't complain when Samsung steals your designs, and then go ahead and do it so blatantly to someone else.
They probably saw it internally as a tribute, since they weren't actually selling a clock to compete with any SBB-design products.

I'm also pretty sure we'll see a major difference in how Apple handles this. I bet there won't be protracted discussion, let alone a court case.

Vera Comment
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2012, 12:24 PM

no. keep it and pay them. it's a nice icon (can't believe it's been around since 1944 - timeless)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2012, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Vera Comment View Post
no. keep it and pay them. it's a nice icon (can't believe it's been around since 1944 - timeless)
They may not want to license.

MilMascaras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2012, 02:14 PM

Agreed. An absolute classic in design. Reach an agreement.
I own a 'Mondaine' Chronograph wristwatch that uses this design, so I immediately recognized it in iOS6.
It's obvious...

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2012, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Roehlstation View Post
*facepalm*
I was going to buy a Mondaine watch but I was confused by the iPhone clock. Now I can't figure out how to strap this stupid thing to my wrist. I would take it back to the store but according to the Apple Maps, I would have to swim across the ocean

Forum Links
Forum Rules