Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Microsoft AU daemon in login items?

Microsoft AU daemon in login items?
monkeybrain
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 07:11 PM

Just spotted this bit of suspicious gatesware. Installed office 2004, now have this AU daemon thing in my login (note: huh apple's spellcheck doesn't have the word 'login' built in, weird) items.

What's this thing doing, anyone know?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2004, 07:15 PM

That's the new "AutoUpdate" daemon that runs in the background and will notify you of future Office updates as far as I know...

You'll also note the new "Microsoft AutoUpdater" application in your "Applications" folder.

monkeybrain  (op)
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 07:37 PM

Ah, do they tell us about this when we install Office? I'd like to know about any daemons running really.

I think they should just use the now increasingly standard 'Check for updates...' within the app menu. It's not like there are updates to office every week like Adium or something.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2004, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by monkeybrain:
I think they should just use the now increasingly standard 'Check for updates...' within the app menu.
They do.

Word > Help > Check for Updates (which ironically installs the "Microsoft AutoUpdater" application and inserts the AU daemon when chosen)

If you don't want the daemon and/or "Microsoft AutoUpdater" application...simply delete the application and get rid of the "Login" item and don't check for updates within the application.

Done.

Toyin
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by monkeybrain:
Ah, do they tell us about this when we install Office? I'd like to know about any daemons running really.

I think they should just use the now increasingly standard 'Check for updates...' within the app menu. It's not like there are updates to office every week like Adium or something.
It asked me during my install (one of the last steps if I recall). I selected yes, but when I saw the daemon on my start up items, I simply removed it.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Forum Links
Forum Rules