Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How soon until a new iPod mini?

How soon until a new iPod mini?
monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 10:19 AM

With the lovely new 'big' iPods just being updated, how long do people think it will take for Steve to order his Mac goblins to dig up some new minis?

I'm going travelling at the end of July and would like a mini, but if they're gonna release some new ones at the beginning of July I might try and wait.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2005, 01:46 PM

the offer to get the free ipod mini ends in september so my guess is mid oct. after the offer ends and stock has been depleted, because thats what they did last year with the ibook stock. when ever it is it is not going to be until after the free ipod mini offer ends

wilsonng
Senior User
Jun 29, 2005, 06:21 PM

Sheez.... Only a $50 difference separates an iPod Mini 6GB ($249) and an iPod 20GB $299). It doesn't make sense to get the iPod Mini when you can get triple to the capacity and a color screen for only $50 more.

I've been looking at the iPod Mini for the past couple weeks now but that iPod 20GB sure looks enticing. I'd love an iPod Mini but the price structure just throws everything off.

Apple dropped the price of the iPod Shuffle 1GB down to $129 to entice buyers into getting that. Previously it was $149 and it was a better value to get the iPod Mini 4GB for only $50 more.

Now the real dilemna remains between the iPod Mini 6GB and the iPod 20GB. With the current price structure, it looks like Apple would rather have you upgrade to the iPod 20GB rather than stay with the iPod Mini 6GB.

Thankfully, I can hold off for since my 3rd generation iPod 20GB still works.

Hmmm.... maybe if I explain to my wife that the dog ate my iPod, I'll be able to explain why I need a new iPod

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 06:32 PM

New minis are a while off I would guess. It took a year to bring out the 6GB model and drop the price on the 4GB model. It's only been 6 months since they came out, so I wouldn't hesitate buying now. YMMV.

ImpulseResponse

monkeybrain  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 06:44 PM

Yeah I see your logic wilsonng, but unfortunately I'm in the UK and the difference between the 6GB mini and new 20GB equals $72.32 - yep it sucks. I'm only interested in the 4GB anyway, if I wanted more than that I'd get the 20GB. (The 4GB mini is $50 more in the UK as well, by the way, oh....)

JMII
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2005, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by wilsonng
Sheez.... Only a $50 difference separates an iPod Mini 6GB ($249) and an iPod 20GB $299). It doesn't make sense to get the iPod Mini when you can get triple to the capacity and a color screen for only $50 more.
I noticed that too... gives you an idea of just how big the markup is on the Mini. Is the smaller size really worth that much to people? They dropped the price of the 1G shuffle so maybe the next change to the Mini will be a lower price. It seems only logical that a Mini should cost LESS now too. I'd bet once all the 4GB ones are gone you'll see the 6GB selling for $199 and a new 10-12GB model selling in the $219-239 range.

wilsonng
Senior User
Jun 29, 2005, 07:04 PM

monkeybrain, I feel your pain, bruddah......

Yep, new minis are still a while off. Well, did you see this T3 article?

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/entertainme..._8gb_ipod_mini

Here we go again......
If you're willing to wait again for a few more months, you'll probably get the new releases.

Personally, if price weren't a consideration, the iPod 6GB is about the right size and form factor for me to carry just enough music to keep me occupied for a while. I still use my first generation iPod to this day. Even with the small price separation between the iPod and iPod Minis, I'm still attracted to the iPod Minis.

It's gonna be interesting to see how the iPod 20GB will affect sales of the iPod Mini until Fall 2005 when the rumored updates will be coming.

In my pipe dreams, I'm seeing an iPod Mini with 6GB and 8GB capacities using flash memory to make the iPod Mini even thinner. Well, maybe it will happen in the somewhat distant future....
( Last edited by wilsonng; Jun 29, 2005 at 07:11 PM. )

Mango
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: how about i dont tell you... because i have nooo clue where my location is
Jul 3, 2005, 12:02 PM

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Sheez.... Only a $50 difference separates an iPod Mini 6GB ($249) and an iPod 20GB $299). It doesn't make sense to get the iPod Mini when you can get triple to the capacity and a color screen for only $50 more.[/FONT]

most people that i know who have ipods perfer the mini because of its size, weight and looks, as do I.

melonpool
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2005, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by GSixZero
New minis are a while off I would guess. It took a year to bring out the 6GB model and drop the price on the 4GB model. It's only been 6 months since they came out, so I wouldn't hesitate buying now. YMMV.
I actually think new minis are on the horizon. Apple is giving away free minis to all students who purchase qualifying Mac computers. It seems like they're trying to get rid of inventory. It might just mean they're overstocked and aren't planning on upgrading them.

wilsonng
Senior User
Jul 5, 2005, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mango
[FONT=Book Antiqua]Sheez.... Only a $50 difference separates an iPod Mini 6GB ($249) and an iPod 20GB $299). It doesn't make sense to get the iPod Mini when you can get triple to the capacity and a color screen for only $50 more.[/FONT]

most people that i know who have ipods perfer the mini because of its size, weight and looks, as do I.

Yes, I know. Despite the $50 difference, I couldn't resist the iPod halo. I got a 6GB and also prefer it over the regular iPod because of its portability.
( Last edited by wilsonng; Jul 5, 2005 at 08:35 AM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2005, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by GSixZero
I definitely agree there, GSix. I can't even believe it has been six months already, but it has been...

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by melonpool
I actually think new minis are on the horizon. Apple is giving away free minis to all students who purchase qualifying Mac computers. It seems like they're trying to get rid of inventory. It might just mean they're overstocked and aren't planning on upgrading them.
Apple pretty much does this every year. It could either be a ploy to clear inventory, or to *boggle* sell more computers.

ImpulseResponse

Forum Links
Forum Rules