Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How to install OS 10.2 on a PISMO??

How to install OS 10.2 on a PISMO??
skyman
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2002, 12:02 AM

I have a PISMO with a 20GIG drive with two partitions (OS 9.2 / OS 10.1.5).

What is the BEST way to install JAG on the OS 10.1.5 partition?

Thanks!

pathman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2002, 12:53 AM

I just did it this weekend on my Pismo (640 MB RAM, 6 GB drive):

After much researching here and on newsgroups and http://www.dealmac.com/forums/, I decided to do a clean install, which reformats the hard drive.

I had no problems whatsoever and the whole install took about 30 minutes.

I recommend that you definitely DO NOT do the "upgrade" option. If you don't want to reformat, then do the "archive and install" option. However, if you can swing it, do a "clean install." This minimizes the chance of having any problems.

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2002, 12:56 AM

Also,

This install really chugs on the hard drive. I installed it on my wife's Pismo while it sat on one of our chairs.

The hard drive must have been ready to go, because it right after it was installed, it died. Nice thing is that IBM replaced the 18gb under warranty with a 30gb drive!

Put your computer on a hard table to help with heat while it slams the hard drive so much.

drewman

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2002, 12:58 AM

BTW, Jaguar on her system (320MB, 30 GB drive, Airport) works very well and she is much happier with OS X now.

Only thing that disappointed - our Casio camera QV-3000 is no longer supported by iPhoto. It didn't work great as it also transferred the small thumbnails pics, but at least it worked in 10.1.5

Had to get a PC Card Compact Flash adapter which does work better and faster for only $12.

drewman

skyman  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2002, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by pathman:
I just did it this weekend on my Pismo (640 MB RAM, 6 GB drive):

After much researching here and on newsgroups and http://www.dealmac.com/forums/, I decided to do a clean install, which reformats the hard drive.

I had no problems whatsoever and the whole install took about 30 minutes.

I recommend that you definitely DO NOT do the "upgrade" option. If you don't want to reformat, then do the "archive and install" option. However, if you can swing it, do a "clean install." This minimizes the chance of having any problems.
I run my entire business using my PISMO. I can not afford to reformat my entire hard drive just to install 10.2.

Many have reported that Apple tech support recommends this method for installing 10.2. If this is the case then 10.2 is a complete JOKE.

I have been using MACS since the Mac Plus was announced and I have NEVER had to reformat my drive to install any MAC OS or update.

I think I will wait until 10.2.1 is released and do an Archive and Install.

Looks like Apple pulled a Microsoft releasing 10.2 with all the bugs.

Shame on you Apple.

bighead
Senior User
Sep 16, 2002, 08:46 PM

It's foolish to not reformat a drive when installing a new operating system. If you can't reformat the drive and install Jaguar on it, you probably shouldn't be relying on it to hold your business together. I can do a complete backup, format, OS install, and fresh app set install with everything I use to run my business in under 3 hours. Maybe you need to buy a book and study up on how to use a Mac.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2002, 08:53 PM

I have a Pismo 400 with a 48 GB travelstar in it. I installed 10.2 on it about a month ago. Initially I did an arcive and install and the whole process worked prefectly. I just went into the archive section and pulled out software that I needed. Nothing got erased. My hard drive did not die. Nothing was touched on my 9.2 partition. it was a completely benign, painless, and generally a great update. One week later I thought, hmmm, if I were to do a clean install (reformat) maybe the system will be faster than before?

It wasn't. POINT: Archive and update works great. Now Move up to 10.2 and get productive and start to enjoy your mac.

skyman  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2002, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by bighead:
It's foolish to not reformat a drive when installing a new operating system.
You must have a lot of free time on your hands (your business must not be doing very well) if you are reformatting each of your computers hard drives every time you update your OS.

By the way, Apple has NEVER required a reformat for installing any MAC OS.

Maybe you need to buy a book and study up on how to use a Mac.
I know how to use a MAC (read my previous post) I have been using MACs since 1984, a lot longer than you have.

Like I said before, you must have a lot of time to waste if you can reformat all your hard drives and reinstall all your applications etc..

Face it, 10.2 is a buggy release. Why do you think 10.2.1 is only a day or so away from release.

skyman  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2002, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by tkmd:
I have a Pismo 400 with a 48 GB travelstar in it. I installed 10.2 on it about a month ago. Initially I did an arcive and install and the whole process worked prefectly. I just went into the archive section and pulled out software that I needed. Nothing got erased. My hard drive did not die. Nothing was touched on my 9.2 partition. it was a completely benign, painless, and generally a great update. One week later I thought, hmmm, if I were to do a clean install (reformat) maybe the system will be faster than before?

It wasn't. POINT: Archive and update works great. Now Move up to 10.2 and get productive and start to enjoy your mac.
Finally, the voice of reason. Your method seems like the most practical one. Thanks!

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 08:34 AM

no problems here after I just "upgraded" the 10.1.5. I dont think a clean install after reformatting the drive is necessary. Well, your call, worked great for me the simpler way. OS 9.2 in same partition. Love the speed increase and the feel. Lovin it!
( Last edited by amsalpemkcus; Sep 17, 2002 at 08:42 AM. )

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 06:02 PM

skyman: After reading your first post I was peeved and wanted to reply. Then I read your second post and wanted to reply snidely to it as well. Then your third and fourth posts came along and I decided I would just write that you're a moron.

I always reformat my hard drive before a major upgrade, especially OSX. There's no room for mistakes, and reformatting is the BEST way to start clean.

You say "Shame on you Apple." and I say, "Shame on you for being a wanker." You wanker.

Thank you, come again.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2002, 06:27 PM

I'm not going to get involved in the arguement, but I must say that Mac OS X is very different from OS 9 in many respects. Though I love OS 9 for its snappy system responsiveness and streamlined interface, it was indeed held together by old technology. Nothing was truly integrated in OS 9; Apple was desperate to integrate functionality without moving to OS X quite yet. OS X is heavily based on BSD and needs to be reoptimized every time it's reinstalled. Windows is like this too; updating from Windows 95 to 98 or Millennium isn't recommended; a clean install is definitely preferable. It cleans the old technology and ".dll" files from the installation. With the integration of newer OS X installations, you're burdened by a longer update process, but it's worth it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules