Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport basestation as external modem

Airport basestation as external modem
MAC365
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2004, 04:53 PM

Hi everyone. Does anyone know if you join a graphite (first model) base-station to a Powermac G3 by ethernet cable and use it as a dial-up modem ? Apple 'support' pages say yes, but not too helpful about saying how. I'm using 10.2.8 on the powermac and have been networking with no problems with my ibook via Airport, and can also go online on both computers; but I have to dial-up on the ibook first before the powermac can use it, and then disconnect on the ibook later. I can also access the Airport settings from the Powermac so they are 'talking' so to speak.

I've fiddled around with all the settings in Network preferences and the Airport Admin Utility and it tries to dial-up but just doesn't connect. Can anyone give me a clue on this as i've tried everything I can think of. I was on this for 5 hours today trying all the different settings. Something I read hinted at (but not very clearly) that you have to use an ethernet hub/bridge in between the mac and the basestation; don't see why as I only want to network one mac by ethernet.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 20, 2004, 07:07 PM

The Graphite base was built to do exactly what you're trying. You absolutely should wire directly to the base station (NOT by AirPort) to do any configuration setting changes; the base station usually doesn't like to do much more than tell you what its settings are through a wireless connection.

Also, turn off your iBook while you try to dial out, to make sure you're not experiencing more than one issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MAC365  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2004, 07:54 AM

Thanks i've tried that. If its any help here are some screen shots of my network preferences and airport set-up I am using when trying to dial-up connect by ethernet cable from the Powermac.

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...%20connection/

Is there any obvious problems anyone can see. Am I right to set the network prefs up so I can access the configuration settings of the base-station via the airport admin utility? If I select 'connect using PPPoE' in the PPPoE tab I cannot access the basestation at all and yet 'internet connect' will not even try to dial if this is not selected.

Also for airport fans - checkout a pic of the cooling mods I did to my once overheated and dead Airport basestation after I replaced the blown capacitors with bigger ones. It now runs really cool and after 1 year of faultless operation I can definitly recommend modding it to let the heat out.

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...rport_mods.jpg

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jun 21, 2004, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by MAC365:
Hi everyone. Does anyone know if you join a graphite (first model) base-station to a Powermac G3 by ethernet cable and use it as a dial-up modem ? Apple 'support' pages say yes, but not too helpful about saying how. I'm using 10.2.8 on the powermac and have been networking with no problems with my ibook via Airport, and can also go online on both computers; but I have to dial-up on the ibook first before the powermac can use it, and then disconnect on the ibook later. I can also access the Airport settings from the Powermac so they are 'talking' so to speak.
It should work exactly as you expected. I used on almost exact configuration as you have (I had a Motorola StarMax 3000/200 instead). The only catch is that given Airport basestation modem does not give much feedback on the connection status (only three lights, definitely no large beep sound as you would have if you make connection using a normal modem), if the line are busy or too much noise on your line and ABS modem can't connect it as a result the ABS modem wouldn't tell you at all.

What I would suggest is to use a "ABS modem utility" to manually get airport to dialup and connect, it would normally get you some connection status (e.g. line busy). I had used this "ABS modem utility" in the past (there are a few other such utility available; do a search on VersionTracker or google):

http://edge.mcs.drexel.edu/GICL/people/sevy/airport/

The other problem you may have is the basestation may have reach the end of its life. Mine one started to behave badly for dialup about 15 months ago (not dialling every now and then), and finally replaced it when I got my cable connection.

MAC365  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2004, 08:37 AM

"What I would suggest is to use a "ABS modem utility" to manually get airport to dialup and connect, it would normally get you some connection status (e.g. line busy). I had used this "ABS modem utility" in the past (there are a few other such utility available; do a search on VersionTracker or google):

http://edge.mcs.drexel.edu/GICL/people/sevy/airport/"

The man's a genius !!!!

I downloaded the tiny utility ' AirportBaseStationHangup' for the graphite base-stations from the above link and it dialed up from the Powermac straight away (and disconnected when I wanted too). So now I have complete control of my internet connection from my main computer which is exactly what I wanted. I've been trying to sort this out for over a year. Now I don't need an external modem which is a major bonus. Why couldn't Apple software do this !!

Anyway i'm really happy now. Cheers !!!!!!!!!!!!

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jun 21, 2004, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by MAC365:
"What I would suggest is to use a "ABS modem utility" to manually get airport to dialup and connect, it would normally get you some connection status (e.g. line busy). I had used this "ABS modem utility" in the past (there are a few other such utility available; do a search on VersionTracker or google):

http://edge.mcs.drexel.edu/GICL/people/sevy/airport/"

The man's a genius !!!!

I downloaded the tiny utility ' AirportBaseStationHangup' for the graphite base-stations from the above link and it dialed up from the Powermac straight away (and disconnected when I wanted too). So now I have complete control of my internet connection from my main computer which is exactly what I wanted. I've been trying to sort this out for over a year. Now I don't need an external modem which is a major bonus. Why couldn't Apple software do this !!

Anyway i'm really happy now. Cheers !!!!!!!!!!!!

I am glad you are happy

I guess Apple never had such utility because their preferred ISP (in US) is EarthLink, and they had so many lines that people never encounter busy signal??

Also, local calls in US are free (unlike in Europe, where local calls are time charged), and Apple never thought of hanging up earlier or later make a $$$$$ difference (for the rest of the world).

Forum Links
Forum Rules