Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Damn, awesome battery-life......

Damn, awesome battery-life......
Robbo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2004, 03:48 PM

This iBook is the most amazing laptop I've ever been near - I used it for about 5 hours over the weekend, and am trying to run the battery down to get it sleep so I can calibrate the battery.
I was using apps like Photoshop, Office, Sound Studio, GarageBand and Cubase, all whilst spinning tunes with iTunes and ripping/burning some CDs. I woke it up about 20 minutes ago and it told me I had only 6 minutes of power left, so I thought that running the iTunes visualiser on full-screen might kill it quickly......well, it JUST put itself to sleep!
To contrast with a Windows machine - I used our bassist's Thinkpad for 90 minutes on Friday night, purely to import some audio clips. It died. Halfway through. Apparently the longest he's ever been able to use it away from the mains was about 180 minutes......
I love this thing........
iMac 15"
iBook 1Ghz 12"
Panasonic SL-CT510 CD/MP3 Walkman
Bose Triport headphones

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2004, 05:12 PM

If you go to your energy saver tab in system preference, you could set your computer to different power usage. If you put it on highest performance, your iBook will drain much more quickly.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Robbo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2004, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
If you go to your energy saver tab in system preference, you could set your computer to different power usage. If you put it on highest performance, your iBook will drain much more quickly.
I know that - but why on earth would I want to? It's set to highest performance when it's running on mains-power, but for battery? You must think I'm mental......
iMac 15"
iBook 1Ghz 12"
Panasonic SL-CT510 CD/MP3 Walkman
Bose Triport headphones

MAC365
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2004, 07:21 AM

i've just put a new battery in my old ibook clam. first full charge got me under 4 hours life, 2nd charge 5 hours, 3rd charge 6 hours 30mins. This is while using the internet with airport (which is a high drain)

I'm following the instructions to completely discharge the battery before recharging fully, and do this number of times to get the best performance in the long term.

I'm very pleased with this as it was a cheap non apple battery.

you mention 'calibrating' the battery. how is this achieved and what are the benifits.

NYK Ace
Senior User
Jul 14, 2004, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by MAC365:

you mention 'calibrating' the battery. how is this achieved and what are the benifits.
calibrating the battery is simply the act of letting it drain then charging it fully again to get maximum performance

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2004, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by MAC365:
See http://www.apple.com/batteries/ for details.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2004, 12:40 PM

I used it for about 5 hours over the weekend, and am trying to run the battery down to get it sleep so I can calibrate the battery.
That's why I told you to set it to highest performance, so you don't have to wait 5 hours to calibrate your battery.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules