Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is junk food becoming more prevalent?

Is junk food becoming more prevalent?
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 04:46 PM

I weight about average, perhaps a little under average. I've noticed that it's requiring more mental effort to stay this way, as fattening food becomes more and more pervasive.

Junk food is everywhere. With McDonalds, it's starting to disguise itself as salads or gourmet sandwiches, but it's high calorie junk food just the same. With Starbucks on every corner, you can easy drop in, pay a few bucks, and get a 400 calorie drink without thinking twice about the health ramifications, because it looks and tastes like a premium product, not the junk food which it really is.

I was brought up in a family that would keep junk food and unhealthy meals to a minimum. But lately I've noticed even my parents have forgotten about those rules, and they indulge in all sorts of fattening food.

Do you think junk food is becoming more common in society?

And if so, what is causing it? Where did the demand come from?

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 04:48 PM

Cheap, easy preparation, tastes good.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 04:53 PM

There has to be some social aspect. Why is it that in a society where everybody wants to be slim and sexy, people continue to get fatter?

Are companies like McDonalds just catering to demands of customers, or are they influencing our dietary habits through their business strategies (like marketing).

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 04:56 PM

Is this post from 1974? If so, I agree 100%.

If not, urrrr, where have you been living? A cave?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
There has to be some social aspect. Why is it that in a society where everybody wants to be slim and sexy, people continue to get fatter?

Are companies like McDonalds just catering to demands of customers, or are they influencing our dietary habits through their business strategies (like marketing).
East preparation = Lazy

That's your social aspect.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 05:01 PM

If not, urrrr, where have you been living? A cave?
Strong words from someone who lives in Uranus

Explain why it is that 10 or 15 years ago, if I went to McDonalds, the only icecream product I could order was a little plastic cup, smaller than their smallest soda cup, with vanilla icecream and a little bit of sugary sauce on top?

Now McDonalds sells the McFlurry or whatever, which is rather large by comparison, and has all sorts of cookie bits or M&Ms and extra flavorings, and has probably 2-3x the calories.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 1, 2006, 05:05 PM

Ya this thread seems a bit dated. In the 80's it would have made more sense.

We already know kids eat way more junk food than they should and too many people are fat.

"Hello, what have we here?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2006, 06:25 PM

Check out Italy or France some time. It's a cultural thing. Americans are so busy, always on the go. We don't spend 3 hours at dinner. Hell, most people are lucky if they get even 30 minutes for a lunch. Fast food is just that, it's fast and arguably food. When I get home from work I'm tired. The last thing I wanna think about is spending what little free time I have left in the day making a mess in kitchen.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 09:20 PM

Now McDonalds sells the McFlurry or whatever, which is rather large by comparison, and has all sorts of cookie bits or M&Ms and extra flavorings, and has probably 2-3x the calories.
More product moved = more profit and they try and seem generous too.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2006, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
Check out Italy or France some time.
France has an obesity problem too.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

HckySo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 09:37 PM

For girls it seems to be the opposite, they want to be totally divas! And to be totally diva you need to totally eat heathly organic salad and totally wear 4 inch plastic sunglasses while eating it at an over priced fancy cafe. Like totally duh.

I thought health was the new thing.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 09:38 PM

Strong words from someone who lives in Uranus

Explain why it is that 10 or 15 years ago, if I went to McDonalds, the only icecream product I could order was a little plastic cup, smaller than their smallest soda cup, with vanilla icecream and a little bit of sugary sauce on top?

I honestly think it has to do with stress. Maybe people are looking to junk food as something that gets them through the day or satisfies them at the end of it. You should watch "Supersize Me" if you haven't already. They go a little overboard in that film I think, but it makes a lot of good points.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2006, 07:49 PM

So what ?

Dairy Queen has been selling the original (=better) versions for decades !

-t

Y3a
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 10:05 PM

The rise in fast food corresponds to the number of really fat people all around who are too lazy to prepare healthy meals for themselves and instead, gorge themselves on junk.
They are easy to spot as their backsides look like elephants.
They seem to be everywhere!

The really fat ones are too embarrassed to be seen so they grocery shop at 3am so you won't laugh at them with 12 gallons of ice cream in their cart under the 8 bags of chips and 6 pounds of butter.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 12:04 AM

Check out Italy or France some time. It's a cultural thing. Americans are so busy, always on the go. We don't spend 3 hours at dinner. Hell, most people are lucky if they get even 30 minutes for a lunch. Fast food is just that, it's fast and arguably food. When I get home from work I'm tired. The last thing I wanna think about is spending what little free time I have left in the day making a mess in kitchen.
Try working in Hong Kong or Tokyo and you will know what busy really is.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2006, 05:19 AM

I think part of it is the fact that people don't know what is good for them to eat, don't know how to make anything that tastes good, and is good for them. So they eat junk food. Honestly I wish I knew how to cook, I wish I even knew where to start. Our microwave just died, and I hate to admit, I have no idea what to do! Doesn't help that we don't have AC so most forms of cooking are also out. But even if we did I only know how to make a couple different types of food in the oven. Heck, ask me how to make chicken? I don't know!
A big part of it is the huge hurry a lot of people are in. My family used to always eat together growing up, well, we did for a couple years. Mom would cycle through a couple different meals, and that was OK, you got a decent portion most of the time. But eventually she started working more and being out at night, and it always became a "fend for yourself" so we generally just ate stuff that you warm up in the microwave and crap.
Honestly that's one of the really nice things about going away to school for 8 months out of the year. I get to have regular meals that I eat with people I want to be around. It's probably one of the reasons I always lose weight at school even though you can eat as much as you want and it's often stuff that's like deep fried and junk.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2006, 05:40 AM

I don't buy that. I think Americans have been conditioned that its better to eat fastfood than to cook themselves. I can make a healthy stir fry with chicken and steamed vegitables and rice in under 30minutes. How hard is that? Also, what about junkfood in general? Chips, candy, coke...all loaded with salt and sugar. Eat fruit instead, it costs about the same.

Hmm also in US and Canada I think the consumption of red meat probably has alot to do with weight problems, and not to mention the way food is prepared.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2006, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8
Try working in Hong Kong or Tokyo and you will know what busy really is.
I could die for some dim sum from Hong Kong right about now.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Nicko
I could die for some dim sum from Hong Kong right about now.
Typhoon blowing its way past Hong Kong as we speak, most places are closed

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 01:54 AM

( Last edited by MacMan4000; Sep 1, 2015 at 12:35 PM. )

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 02:09 AM

Both. Actually they are using people's genetic predisposition for certain kinds of tastes (salty, sugary etc.) to maximize their profits.

They are also catering to people's fiscal sense in making their product cheap and easily available.

Cheap + easily available + 'good taste' = Profit

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2006, 02:14 AM

Moderation.

I get Pizza once a week.... no more than 4 meals at McDonalds/Burger King. No sodas/colas... lots natural foods. And im in the "zone" as far as weight goes.

I made it my new years resolution to give up coke/pepsi/etc 2 years ago, and i pretty much have....i have coke on rare occasions...after which i feel nausious....scary that ppl drink it everyday.

The key is moderation and a healthy lifestyle.... lots of fresh air, sports, etc... as opposed to junk food, TV and videogames all the time.

Cheers

loki74
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 03:07 AM

And here I am, scarfing down every bit of junkfood I lay my eyes on, and still punching holes in my belts to make them small enough... *sigh* But I guess I could consider myself lucky.

At any rate you are entirely correct. However, I do not think the fast food chains are to blame. They only sell what people buy. If people stop buying it, then they will likely stop selling it.

What's more, I think the "fast food lifestyle" is much, much, more attractive to people. I mean, lets face it--the modern world does not demand strenuous physical activity. Most people lead fairly sedintary lifestyles, juggling work and home and all that good stuff. It really helps to be able to get a tasty drink or a hamburger to offer some variety/enjoyment to a dull repetitive day (as many people have).

For me, part of it is lazyness, but another part is the very unattractive commitment to being a "health nut," as well as the holier-than-thou attitude that many such people have. My feeling is that to be healthy one needn't be a health nut; you needn't shop at health food stores, or buy only things that say "organic" or "soy." You can get perfectly good, healthy food at your normal grocery store, prepare things yourself, etc. What people need to realize is that it doesnt really that THAT much effort to put something quick and easy together... get a copy of the "Four Ingedient Cookbook;" (or equivalent...) pretty much everything in there is simple and prepares quickly, and many of the dishes taste great. I know everyone wants to just crash and unwind after work, but really, whats an extra 20 mins cooking a small meal instead of withering away in front of a TV? It would sure go a long way, I think...

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2006, 03:20 AM

This thread made me hungry.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Monique
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 03:03 PM

If you leave the not so obese people and the obese one alone without bombarding them with commercials on how to be anorexic; many will change because they will realize that weighting 20 to 50 less will make them feel better.

The fact that more people are attracted by fast food is a backlash against the food police.

No young girls are not more healthy, there are more anorexic and bulemic young girls.

Thin is in and even if you only weight 50 pounds more that your so-called perfect weight, you are treated like a worthless lazy person. When in fact it is not so bad.

It is true that weighting 400 pounds is really not good for you, but encouragement should be given to that person, not mockery, ridicule.

As for the doctors complaining that more people are too fat even 10 pounds, what would they do with their time if they would not take care of these cases; they are supposed to act humainly not like stupid as...

loki74
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
Thin is in and even if you only weight 50 pounds more that your so-called perfect weight, you are treated like a worthless lazy person. When in fact it is not so bad.
Bullcrap. Stop trying to make it like all fat people are victims here. And, 50 lbs overweight is so bad. I'm sick and tired of fat people bitching about how the "world treats them," or how it's "not their fault." Pfft. Sure, it may not be your fault that you are genetically predisposed to being overweight, but you can bet your ass it is your fault that you aren't doing anything (or enough) about it. I do not know a single person who has treated any fat person as "lazy and worthless." Fat people need to stop wallowing in self-pity and do something about their condition.

It is true that weighting 400 pounds is really not good for you, but encouragement should be given to that person, not mockery, ridicule.
Same as above. It has become SO VERY NON-PC to mention anything about fat people that may be vaguely offensive. You talk about the "food police," well how about the PC police? Hmm? If the world is SO harsh on fat people, why is it that we develop PC terms like "festively plump" or any of that dishonestly gentle bullcrap? Like I said, just stop wallowing in self-pity and DO SOMETHING. I think many fat people take incouragement as insult.

As for the doctors complaining that more people are too fat even 10 pounds, what would they do with their time if they would not take care of these cases; they are supposed to act humainly not like stupid as...
Why don't you take your crusade against doctors somewhere where it actually counts, not in an online forum for Mac users.

The fact is, you don't know the first thing about medicine. I don't care what books you read or what classes you took--you (and anyone else) could not hope to know what you're talking about. Your doctor, on the other hand, is not ignorant. While by no means infallable, the accuracy of his medical conclusions against the accuracy of yours clearly "wins," hands down.

Doctors only "complain" about people being 10 lbs overweight because they CARE. Yes, the care. And what exactly do you mean "take care of these cases." What, you want the doc to magically make all your excess weight disappear? Hello, that's up to you and you alone. Your doctor can give you advise, your personal trainer can help you, but you have to do the dirty work, there is no way out and there is no easy path. It's hard, it's in your hands, and that's that.

===========

Case and point:
Fat people need to learn that:
-It IS their fault, at least to some degree.
-There is NO easy way out.
-The doctor is not a magician
-Society does not hate you (if anything they pamper you extra because your feelings are so sensitive)
-Losing weight is up to you.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2006, 03:39 PM

IDo you think junk food is becoming more common in society?

And if so, what is causing it? Where did the demand come from?
I think economics has the best answer: The incentives are just overwhelming. It's cheap, it's fast, and it tastes good. Both parents (if there even are two) are working long hours, and fast food is cheaper. The behavior is over-determined.

I also think we have a "corporations can do anything as long as it makes money" approach in our country, where it's considered wrong to openly criticize business for making money, no matter how they go about it.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 04:33 PM

( Last edited by MacMan4000; Sep 1, 2015 at 12:34 PM. )

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2006, 04:40 PM

For those who say they eat all the junk food they want and don't gain weight, that doesn't mean you're doing any less damage to your body than that person who is 30 pounds overweight. There is a good chance you're clogging your arteries and you can develop diabetes without being overweight.
For the economic reasons, I'll agree with the fast argument, but it certainly is not a cheap way to eat, if you compare with a homemade meal(of course your time factors into this as well).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2006, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by MacMan4000
That movie SuperSize Me made me hungary.

You are a country now ?

-t

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Moderation.

I get Pizza once a week.... no more than 4 meals at McDonalds/Burger King. No sodas/colas... lots natural foods. And im in the "zone" as far as weight goes.

I made it my new years resolution to give up coke/pepsi/etc 2 years ago, and i pretty much have....i have coke on rare occasions...after which i feel nausious....scary that ppl drink it everyday.

The key is moderation and a healthy lifestyle.... lots of fresh air, sports, etc... as opposed to junk food, TV and videogames all the time.

Cheers
This is moderation?? Pizza once a week, plus four meals at McDonalds/Burger King? I don't think eating out at fast food places 5 times a week is moderation.

Originally Posted by Nicko
I don't buy that. I think Americans have been conditioned that its better to eat fastfood than to cook themselves. I can make a healthy stir fry with chicken and steamed vegitables and rice in under 30minutes. How hard is that?
Let's see:
30 minutes to cook + 15 to clean up + 15-20 to eat + 30 to drive home + 30 to drive back to work + the time to buy the different ingredients at the store (and making sure you always have what you need)

OR

5 minute drive to McDonalds + 5 minute wait in line + 5 minutes to drive back to work while eating at the same time

1-2 hours vs 15 minutes... I think we see why most people eat fast food. It's FAST. And no cleanup after eating is a BIG plus.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by MacMan4000
I eat all kinds of shitty junk food, including 1 fast food meal a day on average... and i still only weigh 130 lbs (im about 5' 10" last time i checked).

.. oh, and my resting heart rate is 102 beats per minute... with a maximum high of 173 on an exercise bike... I still hold the high score
Uh huh, and just how old are you? You just wait when your 35 we'll see if your still eating that way, if you do you won't be 130lbs.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 09:26 PM

( Last edited by MacMan4000; Sep 1, 2015 at 12:34 PM. )

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2006, 09:28 PM

When people have nothing else to say, they nitpick spelling.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Uh huh, and just how old are you? You just wait when your 35 we'll see if your still eating that way, if you do you won't be 130lbs.
I was thinking exactly the same thing.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 09:45 PM

I like going to Mexico, I love their junk food. I'd love to import it into the States as I can't find their premium junk food here. I always commend the Mexicans for their fine taste in junk food. Seriously, they take their snacks very seriously!

Forum Links
Forum Rules