Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do Canadians hate Americans?

Do Canadians hate Americans?
Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Aug 14, 2006, 10:52 PM

I was going to call this thread "Are Canadians violent meatheads?"

Last night, at an ex-pat bar (not on the American continent) I asked a guy if he were North American. He was Canadian. All hell broke loose. He roughed me up ("I am not a ****ing American!") and a bunch of guys had to pull him off me.

Sure, he was pissed, but WTF!?

I have had a violent encounter before at the international bar in question. With two Canadian guys.

About a year ago I spilt a Canadian guy's beer. I laughed and offered to buy him another one. At the bar, I got into a conversation with someone, which delayed me. The Canadian guy came up and punched me to the floor. I got to my feet. I am not a violent person, so I simply went over--holding my blackeye--and asked his Canadian friend what the hell was going on. His Canadian friend headbutted me to the floor.

I am neither American nor Canadian. But in my limited experience, Canadians are violent meatheads.

They hate Americans, but (and this really pisses them off) Americans couldn't care less.

I have a Canadian friend (the exception to the rule) who agrees with my theory completely. He says Canadians are violent, anti-American and homophobic. An example: At his school, he got beat on for bringing an umbrella to school ("for being a fag"). He told his father. His father said: "Well, if you turn out to be gay, I'll take you into the woods and beat you to death." (He is not).

Your thoughts.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2006, 10:56 PM

I got yer back, homie

things are about to get ugly in here

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Aug 14, 2006, 11:11 PM

Yeah. I actually thought I was posting this in the political war lounge. Anyway.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 11:15 PM

You nailed it on the head. A couple isolated incidents are hardly cause to call an entire nation violent meatheads. Canadians are hardly violent or homophobic.

We don't hate americans. Pity them, maybe.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ulrich Kinbote
They hate Americans, but Americans couldn't care less.
hmmm....

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2006, 11:26 PM

As an American, I think they are very touchy about being lumped into being America's "lil buddy" to the north, when in fact they are their own unique country (socially, etc.)

That being said, Canada is dwarfed by the US by a factor of about 10X in terms of population and GDP. While Americans (that don't like Canada) and Canadians (that don't like the US) may not admit it... our economies are very much linked by the longest unprotected border in the world (which I hope never changes... but is).

I wonder how the requirement for Canadians to have passports to enter the US will impact our relationship.

I've NEVER been in a situation where a Canadian didn't like me because I'm American... but perhaps I haven't gone far enough north?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2006, 11:31 PM

Most Canadians I've met have been pretty nice. Even if they do get called American (which they technically are)

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by invisibleX
We don't hate americans. Pity them, maybe.
As I've heard in other circles, "Come back and talk to me after you win a war."

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 11:35 PM

I visit Vancouver quite often and have always felt right at home.
Vandelay Industries

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 11:38 PM

I have a Canadian friend (the exception to the rule) who agrees with my theory completely. He says Canadians are violent, anti-American and homophobic. Your thoughts.

Canadians are waaaaaaaay less homophobic than Americans. less violent also.

Unless that was sarcasm.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 11:42 PM

Canadians are just frustrated by their indistinct national identity. Whereas America is full of cities with rich cultural heritage like Boston, DC, NYC, LA, etc, Canada has nothing. So Canada has tried to fill this vacuum by associating itself with the European worldview, but this is not satisfying either.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Canadians are waaaaaaaay less homophobic than Americans. less violent also.
Completely agree.
Vandelay Industries

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Canadians are just frustrated by their indistinct national identity. Whereas America is full of cities with rich cultural heritage like Boston, DC, NYC, LA, etc, Canada has nothing. So Canada has tried to fill this vacuum by associating itself with the European worldview, but this is not satisfying either.

No that's not it. Canadians are not pleased that they are considered the same as americans.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 12:05 AM

I'm sure if more Americans were being confused with Canadians - we'd most certainly have a problem with it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 12:09 AM

Perhaps Canadian expatriates are more likely to be violent.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Aug 15, 2006, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Maybe.

I should have been more specific with my stereotype (contradition in terms, I know). I am speaking of ex-pat Canadian men in their 20s that I've met.

After I was punched and headbutted, I was taken to hospital with tissue contusions and bruising (the guy who headbutted me was the size of a freaking lumberjack). The doctor told me to go the police and file charges. The police searched for the two Canadian guys, but they skipped the country. And then one of the police told me that they'd had a lot of trouble with Canadian guys at that same bar (even a few arrests). Since then, other dudes at that bar have said, "Yeah. The Canadians are always causing a ruckus" And "Yeah, Canadian's hate being asked if they're American."

Hence my stereotype; hence I open this dialogue -- to try and cure me of my stereotype which I know (like any stereotype) can't be justified.

Still, Leonard Cohen is my favourite songwriter.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2006, 12:24 AM

I was going to call this thread "Are Canadians violent meatheads?"

Last night, at an ex-pat bar (not on the American continent) I asked a guy if he were North American. He was Canadian. All hell broke loose. He roughed me up ("I am not a ****ing American!") and a bunch of guys had to pull him off me.

Sure, he was pissed, but WTF!?

I have had a violent encounter before at the international bar in question. With two Canadian guys.

About a year ago I spilt a Canadian guy's beer. I laughed and offered to buy him another one. At the bar, I got into a conversation with someone, which delayed me. The Canadian guy came up and punched me to the floor. I got to my feet. I am not a violent person, so I simply went over--holding my blackeye--and asked his Canadian friend what the hell was going on. His Canadian friend headbutted me to the floor.

I am neither American nor Canadian. But in my limited experience, Canadians are violent meatheads.

They hate Americans, but (and this really pisses them off) Americans couldn't care less.

I have a Canadian friend (the exception to the rule) who agrees with my theory completely. He says Canadians are violent, anti-American and homophobic. An example: At his school, he got beat on for bringing an umbrella to school ("for being a fag"). He told his father. His father said: "Well, if you turn out to be gay, I'll take you into the woods and beat you to death." (He is not).

Your thoughts.
Canadians are a more violent breed if you ask me. Ive herd stories from American solders about how Canadian troops he has worked with where insane. And I know lots of Canadians that hate Americans and more so being called American, that will just flip us off. Same goes for New Zealanders if some one mistakes them for a Aussie. Had one put another guest in the hospital for that when I was still working at a hotel. Most Canadians I know hate the US and being called American but most of them, myself included dont hate Americans themselves. But your tourist really dont help much. When good Americans visit they blend in so you dont know them apart from any one else but when the snooby goofs visit, they stick out like a sore thumb giving a false perception of Americans as a hole. It takes a trip to the US to see what Americans are really like, and I suspect this is the case for most places in the world. Now homophobic lol I doubt it, Canada is way more open to gay people then most countries. Chances are he called him a fag not because he thought he was gay but just as a insult, lots of teens use the term with out meaning. During WW2 Britsh generals would send Canadian troops into the worst areas because even back then we got a reputation of being crazy SOBs. But take this to heart, Canucks use fists, not guns and knifes in fights. Your more likly to get a bloody nose from a Canuck vs being shot at.

Sealobo
Aug 15, 2006, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Canada has expats!?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2006, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
As an American, I think they are very touchy about being lumped into being America's "lil buddy" to the north, when in fact they are their own unique country (socially, etc.)

That being said, Canada is dwarfed by the US by a factor of about 10X in terms of population and GDP. While Americans (that don't like Canada) and Canadians (that don't like the US) may not admit it... our economies are very much linked by the longest unprotected border in the world (which I hope never changes... but is).

I wonder how the requirement for Canadians to have passports to enter the US will impact our relationship.

I've NEVER been in a situation where a Canadian didn't like me because I'm American... but perhaps I haven't gone far enough north?
Canadians tend not to the like the United States as a country, not individuals from the country. But your right we HATE being called Americans!

Our economies are so tide together, both would be in caos if one or the other ended all trade. Same with the powergrids. The new passport laws are going to affect Americans more then Canadians, as a population more Canadians have passports vs Americans, which last I read was only 30% of the adult population. Bush is actually fighting that new law, and the Canadian government and all the border states are fighting it too. Its going to make a mess of things at the border and the funny thing is it wont do a dam thing for terrorism as a majority of them enter the US with US passports anyways.

loki74
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
No that's not it. Canadians are not pleased that they are considered the same as americans.
Ha.. yea I think its a little deeper than that; I'm gonna have to agree with Kerrigan on this one.

But this whole Canadian/American thing is getting old, fast.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2006, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay
I visit Vancouver quite often and have always felt right at home.
hit me up next time your in Van

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Aug 15, 2006, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
Same goes for New Zealanders if some one mistakes them for a Aussie.
The rivalry between New Zealanders and Australians seems more like banter, in my experience. The Kiwis and Aussies here have a reputation for being pissheads, yes, but also friendly and laid back as hell. You say a New Zealander put someone in hospital for calling him Austrialian. That's probably true, but an isolated incident. Unlike the case of Canadians, it does not happen frequently enough to result in a reputation for violence and cultural-insecurity. At least, not at the bars I go to.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 12:44 AM

hit me up next time your in Van

So you can beat me up?
Vandelay Industries

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Aug 15, 2006, 12:45 AM

But your right we HATE being called Americans!
Please explain.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2006, 12:45 AM

The rivalry between New Zealanders and Australians seems more like banter, in my experience. The Kiwis and Aussies here have a reputation for being pissheads, yes, but also friendly and laid back as hell. You say a New Zealander put someone in hospital for calling him Austrialian. That's probably true, but an isolated incident. Unlike the case of Canadians, it does not happen frequently enough to result in a reputation for violence and cultural-insecurity. At least, not at the bars I go to.
hehe thing is any one from any place in the world are idiots when drinking. I wouldnt want to mess with a Brit or Irish man drunk, or any one for that matter. Perhaps you need to find a different bar, sounds like its a roughtneck bar.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2006, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay
So you can beat me up?
Naw, I love showing people around the city. Have you been to the Mt Seymour look out (day or night )

http://canadia.init1.nl these are pictures from my Dutch friend who just left a couple weeks ago, flew here from Holland for 3 weeks to finally meet me in person hehe now he wants to move here and we are already planning for a Winter trip in 2008.

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Aug 15, 2006, 12:47 AM

hehe thing is any one from any place in the world are idiots when drinking. I wouldnt want to mess with a Brit or Irish man drunk, or any one for that matter. Perhaps you need to find a different bar, sounds like its a roughtneck bar.
Think Mos Eisley Cantina.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2006, 12:55 AM

Please explain.
We accept the term North American, Canadian and Canucks.. American refers to people from the United States only. Only people that dont understand that seems to be people out side of the Americas.

North American
= Canadian
= Americans
= Mexicans

Canadians
= People from Canada

Americans
= People fromt he United States (exclusive)

Mexicans
= People from Mexico

PS Mexicans get pretty pissed being Called American too.

See calling some one a American like European for some one from Europe dosen't work well because there is only one Europe, and 2 America's, North America and South America. To be correct you would have to say North American and South American, and when used like that its correct. Most people from South America will call themselves South American or whatever there country is IE Chillian. The same goes for Canucks we wont bitch when some one says North American but we just prefer to be called what we are Canadian. As the only country in North and South America to have the word America in the country name, United States of America, the term American fits for the United States and which is why the term American is used only for people from the United States. When you ask a Canadian or Mexican are you from America, what your really saying is are you from the United States.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 12:58 AM

Naw, I love showing people around the city. Have you been to the Mt Seymour look out (day or night )

http://canadia.init1.nl these are pictures from my Dutch friend who just left a couple weeks ago, flew here from Holland for 3 weeks to finally meet me in person hehe now he wants to move here and we are already planning for a Winter trip in 2008.
I haven't been there but I went up Grouse Mountain when I was there two weeks ago during the Celebration of Light.
Vandelay Industries

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Aug 15, 2006, 01:01 AM

We accept the term North ... what your really saying is are you from the United States.
I understand that it is not correct to call a Canadian an American. But it is easily done because the American and Canadian accents are very similar compared to the accents of other English-speaking countries. I just want to know why it upsets.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 01:03 AM

Off topic completely: Athens where are your stars under your name?

Back on topic (kinda sorta): Do Canadians hate the TV show and/or movie South Park since they make fun of Canada a lot? or do they see it the way I do, where most of the stuff on the show is like a caricature of real life, with the details all exaggerated to the max, and therefore understand the joke of it?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 01:12 AM

Most Canadians that I know (real life and MacNN) are either pastors or gay. Don't know, it's really odd...

-t

dcolton
Banned
Aug 15, 2006, 03:08 AM

This is typical of a an insignificant people acting out...just like a bitter middle child. canadians are insignificant, and the only way they can feel good about themselves is to physically attack Americans. I wish I were there, I would have had your back! We need to treat canadians like we treat terrorists...then perhaps they will quite looking their gift horse in the mouth. God, I wish I were there. Damned canadians. All they ever do is complain while they ride the tail coats of the US. I am telling you, if canadians were not mostly white, they would be no better of than the Mexicans. What is it, 87% of canadian exports come to the US. Just imagine how we could utterly destroy that nation, just by boycotting their insignificant little nation.

God, I wish I were there. It kills me how a people can be so dependent and so hateful. Damned canadians. Their land is nothing more than a frozen tundra with training grounds for future terrorists (who won't attack their insignificant little frozen tundra). canada is no friend of the US. They are amoral creatures with no idea of how to be significant...the only thing they know is how to ride on the coat tails of greatness.

NEVER let a canadian puff up on you. If they do, just pop them in the face right quick, they'll run and put their heads in the ground...unless, ofd course, England orders them to become cannon fodder. canada! What in the hell has canada EVER contributed to this world...to NOrth America. What a waste of good land and frozen tundra.
( Last edited by dcolton; Aug 15, 2006 at 05:12 AM. )

dcolton
Banned
Aug 15, 2006, 03:11 AM

Please explain.
It is simple, call it jealousy. The canadians have never been able to exist as a truely independent nation. They are so dependent on the US, they act like spoiled little children.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 03:15 AM

*waits for Kevin to burst through the door*

dcolton
Banned
Aug 15, 2006, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
*waits for Kevin to burst through the door*
It just pisses me off when a canadian has the audacity to attack an American. An American that essentially supports their nation. canadians are full of hate...and this person's story explains it perfectly.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2006, 03:29 AM

I've been asked if I were Canadian before and the person confessed it was actually a polite way of asking if I were American . Well, I'm neither, but I guess Canadians would be offended to be confused as American. I haven't met any violent ones though.

Remember when a company offered a "Canadian kit" so American tourists can travel overseas safely by pretending they were from Canada?

dcolton
Banned
Aug 15, 2006, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by molala
I've been asked if I were Canadian before and the person confessed it was actually a polite way of asking if I were American . Well, I'm neither, but I guess Canadians would be offended to be confused as American. I haven't met any violent ones though.

Remember when a company offered a "Canadian kit" so American tourists can travel overseas safely by pretending they were from Canada?
All of that is a bunch of hoo-ha. Just a way of canadians trying to brand themselves as significant. A polite way to see if you were American...nonsense. Just nonsense. How is, are you American insulting? Keep away from the europmyopic haters and insignificant canadians, they don't represent the real world.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2006, 03:41 AM

It was in Australia. There is no danger in mistaking an American for a Canadian there. But the opposite would be unpleasant.

dcolton
Banned
Aug 15, 2006, 03:45 AM

It was in Australia. There is no danger in mistaking an American for a Canadian there. But the opposite would be unpleasant.
Once again, a bunch of hoo ha. Let me guess, you are 18 and live in a bottle.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2006, 03:50 AM

I've lived and worked in four continents in the last ten years. I get the impression it's you who isn't in touch with the world.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by dcolton
All of that is a bunch of hoo-ha. Just a way of canadians trying to brand themselves as significant. A polite way to see if you were American...nonsense. Just nonsense. How is, are you American insulting? Keep away from the europmyopic haters and insignificant canadians, they don't represent the real world.

Who represents the real world again? Yes, being asked if they are American when they are not is considered an insult outside of America. Trust me, I live around hundreds of Americans, a few Canadians and a good mix of nationalities from all around the world. Oh, and some Kiwis and locals too.

dcolton
Banned
Aug 15, 2006, 04:00 AM

I've lived and worked in four continents in the last ten years. I get the impression it's you who isn't in touch with the world.
I just got back from the middle east. Spent some time here and there and Europe. No one politely asked me if I were canadian. Your story...and I emphasize STORY, is ridiculous.

dcolton
Banned
Aug 15, 2006, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -

Who represents the real world again? Yes, being asked if they are American when they are not is considered an insult outside of America. Trust me, I live around hundreds of Americans, a few Canadians and a good mix of nationalities from all around the world. Oh, and some Kiwis and locals too.
The real world...it definately isn't a bunch of hate filled canadians. They live in their own little world of insignificance. And no, being asked if you are American is NOT an insult. Just made up liberal nonsensnce.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by dcolton
The real world...it definately isn't a bunch of hate filled canadians. They live in their own little world of insignificance. And no, being asked if you are American is NOT an insult. Just made up liberal nonsensnce.
Wow. Who is living in a bubble? Do some real traveling and come back to us on that please.

dcolton
Banned
Aug 15, 2006, 04:13 AM

Wow. Who is living in a bubble? Do some real traveling and come back to us on that please.
I have been to 19 nations (20 if you include canada). What about you?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 04:16 AM

Not to make this a pissing contest, but quite a few more. And stayed there for extended periods of time too.

But then again, this thread is just a chance for you to spit some bile since getting banned from the Political Lounge isn't it?
( Last edited by - - e r i k - -; Aug 15, 2006 at 04:24 AM. )

dcolton
Banned
Aug 15, 2006, 04:29 AM

Not to make this a pissing contest, but quite a few more. And stayed there for extended periods of time too.

But then again, this thread is just a chance for you to spit some bile since getting banned from the Political Lounge isn't it?
You can't really ban someone from the political lounge. If I wanted, I would simply re-register and tell the truth. Nonetheless, you are telling me you have stayed in 20 or more nations for an extended period of time. Since you are a canadian sympathizer...I will be blunt...I don't believe you. I think you are lying. Are you a liar? Hell, are you American? How in the hell can you talk about an American experience when you live down under. Or are you just spouting because you narrow range of friends hate Americans?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 04:37 AM

I never usually do this, but:

dcolton
Banned
Aug 15, 2006, 04:55 AM

I never usually do this, but:

YOu said that you lived in more than 20 nations for an extended period of time. Please, tell us more. I simply don't believe you is all I am saying.

Forum Links
Forum Rules