Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook (dual USB) shipping: Craziness

iBook (dual USB) shipping: Craziness
no use for a nick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2001, 06:53 PM

So I ordered my dual USB iBook on Tuesday. I was/am excited. I got several confirmation emails letting me know that my AV cable had shipped as well as my free Lexmark printer and Apple Care pack, etc.

So then I get the e-mail with the tracking number for my extra battery. It says that it's leaving Taiwan headed for Anchorage! I'm really confused so I give Apple a call and sure enough, they do indeed keep the extra batteries as well as the iBooks themselves in Taiwan instead of the US. Fat lot of good that two day express shipping did for me. The iBook and the battery have to sit in customs at Anchorage for at least 24 hours now.

Sheesh. Is it that expensive to keep stuff on hand in the US?

nick
--
nick

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2001, 07:37 PM

I doubt it's that expensive, as all of my stuff came from PA. I had an iBook, Pro Mouse, and the free printer all come two days later with free shipping. No idea why yours came from Taiwan though.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

acidchicken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2001, 07:45 PM

mine came from taiwan too. then it went to anchorage. i had 2 day air and it took 3 or 4 after it was shipped. but my printer and rio came from california and they came really fast.
WWF rules

no use for a nick  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2001, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by acidchicken:
<STRONG>mine came from taiwan too. then it went to anchorage. i had 2 day air and it took 3 or 4 after it was shipped. but my printer and rio came from california and they came really fast.</STRONG>
Yeah, we're in the same situation. The guy at Apple told me that it would have to sit for around 24 hours in Customs once it arrives from Taiwan. Then after the Customs deal is over, FedEx picks up their two-day express agreement. So yeah, it's actually 4 days and since Monday is labor day, i'm not likely to see my first laptop for almost two weeks. So sad.

nick
--
nick

-Q-
Aug 31, 2001, 09:29 AM

I struggled through the same thing when I ordered mine. I'm sure part of the reason Apple originally shipped the iBooks from Taiwan was the initial demand when it was introduced. But three months after it's introduction, you would think production would have caught up and they'd actually have one or two sitting in a warehouse in the states...

<skip shady>
Aug 31, 2001, 10:10 PM

Well, I have a horror story of my own. Not Apple's fault though.

When I ordered, I forgot to enter the name of my employer where I was having my iBook sent to. So they try to deliver and couldn't. I realized my mistake and called FedEx that afternoon.

I track my package the next morning, and it tells me that one (of two) part of my package is being sent back to the sender. Might I add that FedEx did not contact me once, and I actual called in with the correct address. So I call FedEx again. The iBook is still somewhere in the New York warehouse. Well, I say, just find it and don't send it back to Cali. Monday morning, I call again, and as always, no one knows what's going on. And now, my iBook is on the road. Ugh. So I'm stuck with the AppleCare packet and a mouse and no computer.

So I call Apple and have them do a trace. Nope, can't find it. Anyway, after much conversation with the good folks at Apple and not so good folks at FedEx, I get my iBook a month behind schedule. You can imagine my horror as I go to FedEx and see that the package is going from Taiwan to Anchorage.

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2001, 10:25 PM

Its good to know that the iBooks are still selling as fast as they get made, thats why you get yours sent from the manufracturing plant, they can barely make enought for demand....

Wooo Hooo!!!!!
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

stupidfish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2001, 11:48 AM

US land of the free?
US land of the rules!
[color : red] Artificial Eden [/color]
[color : yellow] Deep Within... [/color]

Forum Links
Forum Rules