Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Possibility of CPU upgrades with current AlBook Line?

Possibility of CPU upgrades with current AlBook Line?
RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2003, 04:01 PM

I haven't seen the internals of the machine, but does it have a slot, daughtercard, zif, or is it soldered.

Just wondering what the odds are that we will be able to put in a cpu upgrade (or have a company do it for us a year from now).

What kind of upgrades exist for the Titanium powerbooks also?
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

krux`
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 04:34 PM

15"AluPB1.5GHz1GBR80GBhdbcklitkeyboard 10.4.8
email: [email protected] iChat: [email protected]
http://www.davidgclark.com/

Religion is for those who have never had a spiritual experience.

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2003, 10:44 PM

both the ti and al books have a soldered in cpu. and would require one hell of a de-soldering station.
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2003, 11:23 PM

It's possible, but it would be an entire logic board swap, probably a situation where you ship the PB off to somewhere like OWC and they ship it back to you upgraded.

I'll probably do something like this myself. Buy a new G5 logic board (when they're available) and matching bottom case, trading in my old ones. IMO, it'll be substantially cheaper than buying a new machine.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

OMGWTFBBQ
Dec 9, 2003, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:

I'll probably do something like this myself. Buy a new G5 logic board (when they're available) and matching bottom case, trading in my old ones. IMO, it'll be substantially cheaper than buying a new machine.
In my experience, once you are used to the laptop, unless keys start breaking off, you aren't fully aware of the fact that it is getting old until you see a new model of it - then you immediately see the differences.

The two key differences that I have noticed are that 1) speed - more RAM, faster drives and processors, ideally better OS, etc, and 2) the screen is much brighter (and better resolution and viewing angle) on newer machines.

So your solution addresses the obvious speed issues over time - but it doesn't address the fact that LCDs have a fixed lifespan that is fairly short - as they die, they get dimmer and dimmer - which isn't entirely noticeable to you while you are on it everyday. But then you get on a new one and you think "WOW, that sure is nice and bright".

So maybe you could upgrade the motherboard and its parts, and then also upgrade the screen.
That leaves you a HD that likely needs upgrading, the chassis, and the keyboard - out of all the components - something tells me that the money in a new laptop isn't largely in the chassis and keyboard - so you might be better off just buying a new one.

Just my thoughts.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2003, 03:00 PM

OMGWTFBBQ ... y'all see things clearly down there, eh? 'Even from the left side of the road!

All good points you made, IMVHO.

Bill Lovin-His-Bright-Fast-Big-Disk 15" AL PB
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

Forum Links
Forum Rules