Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Red Bull Question

Red Bull Question
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2005, 08:58 PM

I'm seeing this "energy" drink in just about every bar that I stop into.

What do you do with it? I'm assuming that there must be some good mixer recipies. Do any of you do the bull? What do you mix it with?
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2005, 09:11 PM

Depends if you like evil caffinated slime... I can;t stand the stuff

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2005, 09:14 PM

You look like a chick with one in your hand.
It does not do anything a cup of coffee with a shot on the side wouldn't do. If anyone says otherwise they are a retard.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

RGB
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 09:17 PM

I hate red bull. Can tolerate vodka.

Put the two together, and you get a delicious combination.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 09:22 PM

Yes vodka and Red Bull seems to be the most popular combination.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 10:01 PM

:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2005, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Yes vodka and Red Bull seems to be the most popular combination.
Among people with no tastebuds, perhaps. That stuff is nasty.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 10:11 PM

Red bull and Jaegermister are fantastic together. I hate Jaeger, and think red bull is ok.

ImpulseResponse

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 12, 2005, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by RGB
I hate red bull. Can tolerate vodka.

Put the two together, and you get a delicious combination.
Agreed. And after about 3-4 of them, you have energy AND you're messed up. I sometimes use 'rip it' (99 cent can of redbullish stuff in a BIG can) instead of gingerale or sprite in mixed drinks, and they usually come out tasting great, if a bit funky, but hey at least I don't get tired at 2am.

RGB
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by suvsr4terrorists
Agreed. And after about 3-4 of them, you have energy AND you're messed up. I sometimes use 'rip it' (99 cent can of redbullish stuff in a BIG can) instead of gingerale or sprite in mixed drinks, and they usually come out tasting great, if a bit funky, but hey at least I don't get tired at 2am.
Most bars here in Lawrence use a Red Bull knockoff like Screaming Eagle or Bulldog.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2005, 10:33 PM

Yes mixing a depressant with a stimulant will always making staying up til 2 a picnic

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 12, 2005, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
Yes mixing a depressant with a stimulant will always making staying up til 2 a picnic
Heh. Kinda works. Then you crash bigtime. Hey, thanks for the advice in that other thread. I appreciate it, even if I didn't follow your legal perspective.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 10:59 PM

Acording to the Wikipedia link, RedBull should be no more than a strong cofee+5 tea spoons of sugar.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2005, 11:57 PM

Redbull pretty much tastes like carbonated cough syrup- so if that sounds like something you might enjoy, drop $3 a mini-can.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 12, 2005, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500
Redbull pretty much tastes like carbonated cough syrup- so if that sounds like something you might enjoy, drop $3 a mini-can.
I like the generic knock offs a lot better.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2005, 12:03 AM

That's what underage people ordered.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 13, 2005, 12:04 AM

Blah, and supposedly Long Island Iced Teas are only for 21 year olds. Whatever. They taste good and they get you screwed up quick. That's ultimately the point, isn't it?

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2005, 12:11 AM

Jager Bomb:

1 Shot Jager, 1/2 Can Red Bull in glass.

Drop Shot glass into redbull, chug.

Repeat

At least that is what we do in the farmlands

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2005, 01:00 AM

Did someone mention red bull?

_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 13, 2005, 01:44 AM

FP, what's that last plane you posted? Doesn't look familiar.

Oh, and to keep it on topic, red bull tastes like it was strained through ass.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2005, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by suvsr4terrorists
Blah, and supposedly Long Island Iced Teas are only for 21 year olds. Whatever. They taste good and they get you screwed up quick. That's ultimately the point, isn't it?
That's the only drink I ordered....

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2005, 02:17 AM

Those of you who say you don't like it can console each other here by your seeming majority opinion.

However, the truth is millions of people either like it or LOVE it enough that it has spawned a trend such that there are aerobatic stunt planes emblazoned with it's logo, it's sold in almost every supermarket and convenience store, bars have SPECIFIC Red Bull drink recipes, they have spawned knock-off products (the SINCEREST form of flattery) and we are here talking about the stuff.

FWIW, I LOVE THE RED BULL TASTE AND I LOVE THE RED BULL BUZZ!

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 13, 2005, 02:32 AM

It's okay. For the money, mountain dew does a better job.

as2
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2005, 02:35 AM

Red Bull is Caffine and Taurine - Probably the most important development in University for the past 10 years....

Drinking it on it's own lets you study all night when you've left that important assignment till the last minute.

Drinking it with copuios amounts of Vodka means you get rat-arsed, and can party the night away!
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Warung
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2005, 02:52 AM

Vodka-Red Bull is quite good. It usually gets me going 'till 5 or 6 in the morning...pretty clean buzz.

I think they also have a "sugar free"/"diet" version out now...

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2005, 02:54 AM

Interesting. I've never heard of Taurine until now.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2005, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by driven
Interesting. I've never heard of Taurine until now.
I have. And what he is saying is BS.
Its been an amino acid supplement on its own for quite a while now and anyone who has a history of weight training and over the counter supplements has come across it at some point. There are no proven independent studies done to show that the effects the people at Red Bull or any other similar drink company claim are true. In fact weight lifters did not even take it for those sorts of reasons.

If you are so bent on taking crap to study late into the night drink Jolt or go find a buddy with ADHD.
The Taurine is worthless for that, you are better off with chewing on coffee beans.

http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/full...aurine3-2.html

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 13, 2005, 04:01 AM

I have. And what he is saying is BS.
Its been an amino acid supplement on its own for quite a while now and anyone who has a history of weight training and over the counter supplements has come across it at some point. There are no proven independent studies done to show that the effects the people at Red Bull or any other similar drink company claim are true. In fact weight lifters did not even take it for those sorts of reasons.

If you are so bent on taking crap to study late into the night drink Jolt or go find a buddy with ADHD.
The Taurine is worthless for that, you are better off with chewing on coffee beans.

http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/full...aurine3-2.html
It's true. Taurine is like the tornado fuel saving device. It sounds like a good idea, but no real benefits. Just do the dew if you need caffiene.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 13, 2005, 04:15 AM

Cipher13
Jul 13, 2005, 04:34 AM

Red Bull tastes okay, but not great, IMO. I much prefer V. Same kinda thing, but it tastes better.

I drink way too much of it...

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2005, 05:41 AM

This one used to come with the added bonus of being mixed with Tequila black death gold - that made the nights go with a blur

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2005, 07:22 AM

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that they bought Jaguar Racing last year.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2005, 07:42 AM

Red Bull is over-hyped, over-priced crap that tastes like Sweet Tarts. I tried one a few years ago and didn't see what the big deal was.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

ender2002
Senior User
Jul 13, 2005, 07:48 AM

yeah. red bull also has taurine which comes from bull testicals. delicious stuff mates.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2005, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by ReggieX
Red Bull is over-hyped, over-priced crap that tastes like Sweet Tarts. I tried one a few years ago and didn't see what the big deal was.
It's just another thing that has come out to take advantage of the fact that many people have become addicted to stimulants. $4.00 for some Starbucks is nuts, but Starbucks is doing quite well because there are so many people that can't function in the morning without their coffee, and coffee has become celebrated in its ability to wake you up.

It's interesting that the average person doesn't really regard caffeine as a drug, yet most of them are addicted to it.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2005, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by ender2002
yeah. red bull also has taurine which comes from bull testicals. delicious stuff mates.
No it's not. Way to get suckered by urban myths. Did you even READ the link you posted?

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2005, 09:51 AM

Sounds like you've never seen people mix Coke and Rum.

deomacius
Senior User
Jul 13, 2005, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by FulcrumPilot

Red Bull gives you wings!

You reap what you sow.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2005, 10:08 AM

A year ago, I would have been posting about how I love Red Bull and many of the knockoffs and other "energy" drinks. My days started off with Rockstar, were sustained with Coke and Mountain dew, yet I'd still be dead tired about 3 or 4 o'clock.

So, partially due to a dare from my wife who can't have caffiene for a number of reasons, I stopped. Cold turkey. Last October.

After three weeks of torturous headaches, I was sleeping better, and that rest actually improved my energy levels in the afternoons. Combined with exercise, I was feeling much better.

I can tell I was truly addicted, though, because I still feel the urge to grab some caf almost every day. Going to a coffee place for a business meeting, I feel so lame getting a decaf tea or juice. Baristas look at me like I'm a ten year old in a bar, ordering a milk.

I'd say, as far as taste is concerned, I miss Mtn Dew Code Red the most. That's the stuff. Although I liked that Baja stuff they have at Taco Bell the one time I had it.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2005, 11:21 AM

What do you do with it? I'm assuming that there must be some good mixer recipies. Do any of you do the bull? What do you mix it with?
Here is a comment from "Men's Health":

Two studies of Red Bull's effect on mental edge were recently published in the European journal Amino Adds. One found that graduate students rated higher on tests for mood and mental sharpness if they drank Red Bull an hour before being tested. The second study found that 11 sleepy drivers given Red Bull reacted faster and did less lane drifting during a driving simulation than those given a glucose-based energy-drink placebo; the effects were particularly strong during the first hour after the subjects drank Red Bull. (This does not mean that Red Bull should be your backup drink for the drive home after a late party or date.)

Both test results suggest that Red Bull is an effective pick-me-up for coordination-intensive events, or for staying alert on too little sleep. However, the benefits clearly mimic the effects of caffeine and may be attributed to the beverage's high caffeine content.

TAKING THE BULL BY THE HORNS

We found that not all of Red Bull's boasts are completely bull-free. For example, one claim--previously printed on each can but now found only on the company Web site--promises to "eliminate waste substances from the body." To pull this off, Red Bull would have to contain ample amounts of glucuronolactone, a substance that binds to waste products in the body and is then excreted. The lab discovered just 56 milligrams of glucuronolactone, a pretty meager amount, which offers no proof that Red Bull will have a "detoxifying" effect on the average man.

The concentrated nature of Red Bull also makes it less than ideal to take as a sports drink during exercise. It works much better as a stimulant 30 minutes before a workout. In other words, don't put Red Bull in your water bottle instead of, say, Gatorade, as you may find it upsets your stomach--it won't hydrate or refresh you as effectively if that's the case. Diluting it 50 percent by adding one part water may work; however, the beverage's lack of the electrolyte potassium may be problematic for intense exercise.

For all its nutritional bells and whistles, Red Bull is still a soda, getting all 113 of its calories from sugar. If you're drinking Red Bull and training hard, be aware of its benefits and its limitations.
Be aware that using such a drink and alcohol requires you to drink a lot of water as well, since alcohol also acts as a diuritic. Also, caffeine, in higher concentration, has a depressing effect, just like alcohol.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2005, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
I stopped. Cold turkey.

After three weeks of torturous headaches, I was sleeping better, and that rest actually improved my energy levels in the afternoons. Combined with exercise, I was feeling much better.
I try to tell this to people all the time, but most caffeinds can't fathom the idea. I used to drink a lot of coffee and coke, but quit cold turkey years ago. The headaches sucked, but it has been more than worth it.

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
Going to a coffee place for a business meeting, I feel so lame getting a decaf tea or juice. Baristas look at me like I'm a ten year old in a bar, ordering a milk.
I don't feel the slightest bit lame. I just tell people that I don't drink it because it's bad for you. It's like smoking (except there isn't any second hand caffeine!). It's a bad habit, and you aren't uncool for not participating.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2005, 06:13 PM

Why are people so religiously for or against a stupid drink? It's insane. I drink it because I like how it tastes (the sugar-free variety anyway, the regular is too sweet for me) a hell of a lot more than coffee. Also, for whatever reason, coffee seems to put me to sleep when I drink it. Red Bull doesn't. That's my experience with it, and that's all I care about when deciding what I'm going to drink (barring reports of serious health problems or whatnot of course).

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2005, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Why are people so religiously for or against a stupid drink? It's insane. I drink it because I like how it tastes (the sugar-free variety anyway, the regular is too sweet for me) a hell of a lot more than coffee. Also, for whatever reason, coffee seems to put me to sleep when I drink it. Red Bull doesn't. That's my experience with it, and that's all I care about when deciding what I'm going to drink (barring reports of serious health problems or whatnot of course).
Why are people so religiously for or against any commercial product?

Yet it seems to be an integral part of western culture.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2005, 07:39 PM

Because people identify themselves to the product. Since they do identify themselves to one, they may choose to reject others with a rational akin to protect their sense of self.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2005, 07:50 PM

3 years back or so philzilla dared me to drink one with 2 shots before i went to class that day. i felt real good.

drink what you like, dont let people influence you. red bull has like 5 teaspoons full of sugar in it though. this month's Runner's World broke it down...

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2005, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by SimpleLife
Because people identify themselves to the product. Since they do identify themselves to one, they may choose to reject others with a rational akin to protect their sense of self.
The sad thing is, I'm part of the problem, not the solution. I work for a PR firm.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2005, 07:58 PM

The sad thing is, I'm part of the problem, not the solution. I work for a PR firm.
Of course, you play a part in this, but people have the responsibility to wake up and make their own mind about things as well.

It is, after all, partly their choice to identify to a product. Obviously, there is a subconscious part to all this and we cannot really tell how this can be part of the problem.

Nevertheless, there is room for a whole thread about this topic of identification to brands, and how it influences our lives.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2005, 08:02 PM

I myself think Monster is a very good one. I mean, it is actually good as a drink. It tastes good and goes down smooth. 2x for the same price. Still expensive, but worth it. The distributor that sells Jolt around here went under, so I can't find the stuff anywhere.

I do have a bad caffeine story though. A month and a half ago, I downed a Monster and 4 Vivarin (at once). I have a high tolerance to caffeine, so I didn't think it would do much. It made my heartbeat a bloody Iron Maiden bassline. My heart rate was up above 100, sitting, doing controlled breathing, all day. To make it worse, I did it the same day I did the Army rock wall thing. My stoner friend JM said it was like speed. Shows how much he knows. It just hurt. Add to that a 4 mile walk home, and I felt like ****. My heart rate got down to normal about 12 hours. Something above my stomach on the right side of my chest hurt the day after. I guess muscles were numb from all the heart activity.

That was the dumbest thing next to the time I said I liked someone. Disaster. But I topped it on the 4th of July with my homemade bottlerocket bit. Great way to nearly blow your head off. Forgot how to link posts.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2005, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane
FP, what's that last plane you posted? Doesn't look familiar.
Hawker shittley Sea Vixen.
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2005, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by CreepingDeth
I myself think Monster is a very good one. I mean, it is actually good as a drink. It tastes good and goes down smooth. 2x for the same price. Still expensive, but worth it. The distributor that sells Jolt around here went under, so I can't find the stuff anywhere.

I do have a bad caffeine story though. A month and a half ago, I downed a Monster and 4 Vivarin (at once). I have a high tolerance to caffeine, so I didn't think it would do much. It made my heartbeat a bloody Iron Maiden bassline. My heart rate was up above 100, sitting, doing controlled breathing, all day. To make it worse, I did it the same day I did the Army rock wall thing. My stoner friend JM said it was like speed. Shows how much he knows. It just hurt. Add to that a 4 mile walk home, and I felt like ****. My heart rate got down to normal about 12 hours. Something above my stomach on the right side of my chest hurt the day after. I guess muscles were numb from all the heart activity.

That was the dumbest thing next to the time I said I liked someone. Disaster. But I topped it on the 4th of July with my homemade bottlerocket bit. Great way to nearly blow your head off. Forgot how to link posts.
I once drank a Red Bull followed almost immediately by a Lipovitan-D (imported from Japan). I honestly thought I was going to die right there in the middle of class. Even outside after class my body temp was so high I had to strip down to a tshirt just to be comfortable. I believe it was 15° F out at the time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules