Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Girlfriend spilled coke on my 17" PB

Girlfriend spilled coke on my 17" PB
Spuds6s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2005, 02:49 AM

So she spills a small amount of coke (the drink, not the drug) from above the computer. None really got onto the computer from the monitor forward. It went down both sides of the monitor, front and back. However, to get it off the back, she tilted it up, and the residual coke went into the vent at the back of the PB. I did an emergency opening of the computer to get it off the mobo and such. It didnt really hit the mobo, but it shorted out my memory shortly after she spilled. So the OS reboots and I get the memory error beeps at startup. Cleaned off the memory and all is fine. No problems whatsoever with the computer.

However, the screen hinge and mount are very sticky. One of the clasps that comes down off of the top panel is stuck inside, sometimes it comes out slowly.

My questions:
Should I try to open the backing of the LCD and clean off the coke myself (keep in mind this is one of the latests PB's, less than a year old) or should i have Apple service it.

How much would it cost me to do the latter?

How do I do the former? I only see two screws at the bottom of the panel.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan1524
Senior User
Dec 25, 2005, 03:07 AM

grab a disassembly guide from google (PB fixit guide or something like that), and try to clean out the coke as much as possible. or call apple and see how much it's gonna cost you to have them repair it.

oh, and make sure your gf pays...there are many ways.
Ryan

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2005, 03:23 AM

Dump her.

Spuds6s  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2005, 03:56 AM

Wow, pbfixitguide.com is amazing! This is exactly what I have been looking for, but I guess my search terms were too narrow. Thanks a bunch.

I wasn't really too worried about the computer. It is my baby (well one of them, I just build a dual core AMD rig with 7800 GT's in SLI ) but I knew that it wasnt that big of a deal. It wasn't too much coke, just enough to get a few drops on the memory. Just hearing that sticky noise every time i open it pisses me off. You should have seen the look on her face after she hid from me in the bathroom for 10 mins. It was bright red, she was hyperventilating and stuff in there.

Again, thanks for the pointers!

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2005, 02:08 PM

And my girlfriend thinks that I'm too neurotic about keeping my stuff safe. One of these days...

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

SVass
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 02:57 PM

Last year my wife spilled an entire coke on her (6 year old Wallstreet) powerbook. It died! I'll be happy to sell it to you. sam

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 03:35 PM

Should have bought Safeware.com insurance!

SVass
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by romeosc
Should have bought Safeware.com insurance!
Over time, insurance would have cost more than it is worth. Actually, we have many valuable toys and insuring all of them would lead to astronomical wastes of my money. I do not buy extended warrantees for my power tools or my car either.

More seriously, my credit card company doubles the warranty on all products purchased via charging (such as the new replacement powerbook that I bought). Cokes and mixed drinks are not good for laptops. Pure Vodka might be okay. sam

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2005, 08:34 PM

Dump her.
Step 2 - Kill her

Forum Links
Forum Rules