Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > FedEX Freight makes you unload trucks

FedEX Freight makes you unload trucks
macroy
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2007, 08:31 AM

So I recently ordered a grill (about 250 lbs). And they said it would be shipped via freight. No biggie, my assumption is that perhaps they would just bring it to my door, and I'd have to find a way to get it to my deck. My plan was to get a neighbor to help whenever they're available. But noooo.... I get a call from FedEx to schedule the delivery, and when I told them my wife would be home to accept the package, the lady responded "well... she better be able to lift 250lbs 'cause we're delivering it using a trailer, and there is no liftgate. So you'll have to help the driver unload".

At first I was thinking, fine, I'll try and be home to accept this. But then it became an issue when they said they would only hold it for 48 hours... and I'm away on business. The more I thought about it, the more I felt this is ridiculous... how can a shipping company force the recipient of a package to help unload the freight? What if I was a 80 year old widow ordering furniture? I did call back, and the guy did reschedule it past the 48 hr. period after some complaining. But he at the same time proceeded to make me feel like an ass for making things hard on THEM. Whatever.

Has anyone been through something similar? It just REALLY makes no sense to me.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2007, 08:39 AM

all my large items from Sears came that way (Grill and table saw...both well over 250lbs). Said so right on the shipping details for overweight/large items. I planned and scheduled for the delivery. The driver was nice enough though as I'm sure he deals with it all the time. He let me up in the truck, unboxed it all in there off of the pallet...I left all the shipping stuff in there even...no problems. He helped me move the granite counter tops and the stainless steel island pieces. Everything else I just made a bunch of trips. As for the table saw, same idea...different driver/different trucking but he helped too.

No biggy for me as it was clearly outlined when I checked out of the online store.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2007, 08:41 AM

The unloading part yes, but no lift gate? You need to press that one, I can't imagine that any shipping company wants to have their employees on either end of a 250 box. Much less the liability of a customer getting squished. One crippled homeowner's lawsuit would buy a whole lotta hydraulics.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2007, 08:44 AM

No lift gate on my deliveries. Really, like I said, remove the shipping material in the truck down to smaller pieces. It won't come fully assembled. Smaller pieces = less weight.

You will need a good sharp utility knife to cut the straps and open the boxing materials. Inside, you will find boxes of smaller parts and some just wrapped in protective material (like the grill lid).

alligator
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2007, 09:12 AM

My table saw came that way, but the driver helped me unload it anyway.

macroy  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2007, 05:15 PM

" Common Carrier - Truck Freight"

That is all it says on my invoice. However, after looking into it a bit, it seems that its up to the shipper on what "extra" services they purchase (one of them being a lift gate).

So I guess now I know why they offer "free" shipping.

Oh well... you live an learn.

PainlessMan
Baninated
Aug 18, 2007, 06:02 PM

Fedex Freight is bad news. They don't actually use fedex trucks, or fedex employees, they just use third parties to ship, so nobody is ever held responsible for damage. I shipped a $1800 plotter with them once... it was completley destroyed, and the guy who bought it took them to court over it to get his money back. It sucked.

natnabour
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2007, 10:42 PM

I don't think you should blame FedEx Freight, as you should blame the company whom you bought this grill from. They're the ones who arrange for shipping.

We've been using FedEx Freight for almost a year now and I've come to learn that the freight company ships as it's told to. If they're told that they're shipping to a residence, a liftgate is typically available. They'll even do an inside delivery, as long as it's on the ground floor - but the thing is: THEY HAVE TO BE TOLD. If you're having so much trouble, call the company that you bought the grill from and tell them what's going on. They should be able to contact FedEx Freight and let them know of the situation. Typically, the freight company isn't very responsive to the party that they're delivering to because they're not the paying party, y'see? Anything extra like a liftgate or inside delivery adds additional charges, which have to be approved by the shipper.

Let me know if you have any trouble with this. I schedule and coordinate all of our company's shipments and I've come across a milllllion situations such as yours. If need be, give me the tracking number and I'll talk to them. no but..I'm serious.

macroy  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2007, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by natnabour View Post
I don't think you should blame FedEx Freight, as you should blame the company whom you bought this grill from. They're the ones who arrange for shipping.

We've been using FedEx Freight for almost a year now and I've come to learn that the freight company ships as it's told to. If they're told that they're shipping to a residence, a liftgate is typically available. They'll even do an inside delivery, as long as it's on the ground floor - but the thing is: THEY HAVE TO BE TOLD. If you're having so much trouble, call the company that you bought the grill from and tell them what's going on. They should be able to contact FedEx Freight and let them know of the situation. Typically, the freight company isn't very responsive to the party that they're delivering to because they're not the paying party, y'see? Anything extra like a liftgate or inside delivery adds additional charges, which have to be approved by the shipper.

Let me know if you have any trouble with this. I schedule and coordinate all of our company's shipments and I've come across a milllllion situations such as yours. If need be, give me the tracking number and I'll talk to them. no but..I'm serious.
Nope, not blaming FedEx at all (at least not after I talked to them). As I mentioned above, I realized after talking to them that its at the shipper's discretion to provide or not to provide the "optional" services such as liftgates etc... And they have actually been pretty helpful as I've been able to rescheduled with them twice now.

But I now know that I need to do a bit more research when purchasing "LARGE" items.

And thanks for the offer... but I think we're in good shape now. They're bringing it over on the 21st. And I'll be waiting for them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules