Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Transferring my Uncle's Quickbooks data (Best way?)

Transferring my Uncle's Quickbooks data (Best way?)
@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Mar 3, 2008, 09:56 PM

Hey,
Recently I have set my uncle up with a relatively new Dell desktop that he was in much need for. He was running and old Hewlett Packard with Windows 98 on it. No CD-RW drive, just a floppy. He doesn't need anything off of it, except his information from Quickbooks.

My question is; is there any folder in the program hierarchy that I can just copy over onto a floppy that will save all of his information. And can later be imported to a newer version of Quickbooks that I get for him?

I have never used Quickbooks before so I'm not too sure of where it's saved files go. If they have a saved folder in the "Program Files" directory, or if they just save to his "My Documents." I have yet to be able to hook his old junker desktop up since it is still at his house.

Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

tomrock
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2008, 10:26 AM

I'm pretty sure on the file menu there's a Backup choice that will break the file into chunks that will fit a floppy. Then, maybe you can import that on the new machine.

Good luck.

@pplejaxkz  (op)
Senior User
Mar 6, 2008, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by tomrock View Post
I'm pretty sure on the file menu there's a Backup choice that will break the file into chunks that will fit a floppy. Then, maybe you can import that on the new machine.

Good luck.
Thanks, I will post back if I run into any problems.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2008, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by @pplejaxkz View Post
My question is; is there any folder in the program hierarchy that I can just copy over onto a floppy that will save all of his information.
IIRC, older versions (which it almost certainly will be, since 2003+ doesn't install on Windows 98) store the data file in C:\Quickbooks\ or something like that. Newer versions stick it wherever you want it to go (default is My Documents, I think).

Originally Posted by @pplejaxkz View Post
And can later be imported to a newer version of Quickbooks that I get for him?
You're possibly going to run into major problems here. The data file from a version of Quickbooks that old will have to be upgraded at least twice. I spent about two weeks straight trying to sort it, with no luck. I ended up rolling over to the new version slowly, typing new data into both systems until such a time that I could archive the old system (it's still on a Virtual PC Win 98 image in case I need to access it).

YMMV.

(oh, and good luck with the floppies - my Quickbooks file is 200Mb odd. Might want to pop that old Win98 drive into the new machine as a secondary master and copy that shiz over like that.)
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules