Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 114)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 16, 2015, 03:38 PM

Honestly, I lost it at the controller disconnect problem. I had heard of it, and its hilarious both controllers suffered from it. The PS4 does have a problem with early controller joysticks peeling easily, but thats a less frustrating problem, IMO.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2015, 03:39 PM

Is the PS4 a big improvement over the PS3 in that regard? Most of the stuff he's bitching about was present on the PS3.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 16, 2015, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Is the PS4 a big improvement over the PS3 in that regard? Most of the stuff he's bitching about was present on the PS3.
I didn't own a PS3, but from what I can tell, yes. Less updates, and you can play games as soon as they are 10% installed (That's the big one to me).

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2015, 03:51 PM

That is definitely an improvement.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2015, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I didn't own a PS3, but from what I can tell, yes. Less updates, and you can play games as soon as they are 10% installed (That's the big one to me).
Don't know what the actual percentage is, but the XBone has this functionality as well. AFAIK you have to stick to the 'main-quest' stuff though (for example the career mode in Forza 6) until its all installed.

= = = = = =

Just splashed out on Storm Island, a rally add-on for Horizons 2 (which although is more arcadey than Forza 6 is more pure fun where-as Forza 6 is serious man).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2015, 01:23 PM

I'm currently playing Metal Gear Solid V.

The first 30-45 minutes sucked (because of typical Kojima storytelling), but once they got out it of the way...holy crap...this game is incredibly fun. The open world, MGS-stealth gameplay is really solid, but I had been previously unaware of the base-building mechanic, which adds a pretty fun upgrade system. I'll be enjoying this one for a while (in addition to still playing Cities: Skylines...160 hours in).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 20, 2015, 09:45 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 20, 2015, 02:31 PM

I say, god damn.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2015, 02:42 PM

Knowing EA they will likely add a Golden Bikini version of Leia but it will only be available with the season pass. (BTW, is that a Nintendo Power Glove she is wearing?)

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 20, 2015, 03:35 PM

Huge story here.I might quote too much, but read it all, please. He deserves the click.
The Messy, True Story Behind The Making Of Destiny
Two years ago, something went wrong. Destiny’s writing team, led by the well-respected Bungie veteran Joe Staten, had been working on the game for several years. They’d put together what they called the ‘supercut’—a two-hour video comprising the game’s cinematics and major story beats. In July, they showed it to the studio’s leadership. That’s when things went off the rails, according to six people who worked on Destiny. Senior staff at Bungie were unhappy with how the supercut had turned out. They decided it was too campy and linear, sources say, and they quickly decided to scrap Staten’s version of the story and start from scratch.
The pre-reboot Destiny had way more of a focus on story than the actual game wound up having. “Story missions [before the reboot] always began with a Communique from a character,” said a source. “They were 30-45 second cutscenes of the NPC setting up the mission context. Osiris announcing a dramatic discovery about the Vex and asking you to dig up an ancient relic on Mars, or the Crow calling for help from the middle of a firefight with Fallen on Venus. And then every mission ended with a full cutscene, three to five minutes.”
Sound awful.

Everyone I spoke to agreed on one point: Bungie’s senior leadership, including Jason Jones, didn’t like what they saw. Some in the studio took issue with the rhythm of progression, which would have shown players all four main planets—Earth, the Moon, Venus, and Mars—within the first few missions of the game…According to one source, Jones also told the team that he wanted a less linear story—one in which the player could decide where to go at any time. That became one of Destiny’s key pillars.
“[The design team] would have to cobble together and cut and restitch and reuse a bunch of stuff that was already built for a different thread, but now tie it together in some way that fit this amorphous, ‘You pick which way you’re going in the director’ story,” said one person familiar with Destiny’s development.

“The priority was, ‘Hey, we have to take a bunch of content that we’ve spent millions of dollars on, we need to cobble it together in a way that is not going to break continuity, and we’ve gotta do it quickly.’”
One source said after they got the extension, the studio’s priority was to polish and perfect the gameplay: how the primary thing you did in the game—shoot guns— felt, how public spaces would function, how encounters worked. The prioritized this instead of building a coherent story. Narrative took a back seat, as did the writers themselves. “The writing team Joe put together was ostracized,” said one person who worked on the game. “The story was written without writers.”
They rebooted the first DLC pack, December 2014’s The Dark Below, scant months before it was due to ship, according to two sources. (One person familiar with development says Bungie sequestered a team and had them crunch out Dark Below in just nine weeks, which may explain how insubstantial it was.)
People who worked on this project say that one of Bungie’s fundamental issues over the past few years has been the game’s engine, which the studio built from scratch alongside Destiny. Four sources pointed to Destiny’s technology—the tools they use to design levels, render graphics, and create content—as an inhibiting factor in the game’s development.

“Let’s say a designer wants to go in and move a resource node two inches,” said one person familiar with the engine. “They go into the editor. First they have to load their map overnight. It takes eight hours to input their map overnight. They get [into the office] in the morning. If their importer didn’t fail, they open the map. It takes about 20 minutes to open. They go in and they move that node two feet. And then they’d do a 15-20 minute compile. Just to do a half-second change.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 23, 2015, 10:45 AM

"Update: Microsoft will not be using console shipments as its primary metric for success beginning with this quarter, we have been told. The company is more focused on engagement, leading it to choose Xbox Live usership as its leading statistic."

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2015, 07:15 PM

I say, god damn.
The cloth is excellent, but my eyes jump instantly to her eyes... because they're crossed.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2015, 10:36 AM

Huge story here.I might quote too much, but read it all, please. He deserves the click.
The Messy, True Story Behind The Making Of Destiny

Sound awful.
I send that to Pocket, and managed to read it this weekend. Very good read, but yes indeed, that sounded horrible.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2015, 11:41 AM

Some of it didn't make any sense though. For instance, why would Bungie be developing a new game engine from scratch? Don't they co-own the HALO engine? As well, I have noticed a lot of the HALO engine remnants under Destiny. For example, it has medals, if you search hard enough on they're site. I noticed other things, just can't think of them right now. And the HALO engine had a very mature editor.

As well, if you are developing a new game, it's universe, and the story, wouldn't management review development at various stages so there are no surprises or late reversals?

Mind you some of this was just a scoping of the story into multiple games, which shouldn't have caused too much problems except for management asking them to make it non-linear. Bungie's stories/games have always been linear, just look at HALO. What was management expecting? Sounds more like management changed their mind.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2015, 05:34 PM

NeoGAF made some things clear. Licensing engines runs in the millions of dollars, so creating one from scratch is an up-front cost that you make up for on the back end. Second, even if they did own the Halo engine, chances are it wouldn't run on the PS4 without heavy modifications – modifications better spent making a new engine from scratch built to take advantage of the new hardware.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2015, 06:07 PM

Woot.com is selling PS4s for $299 right now.

Edit: nevermind. Sold out.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2015, 01:06 AM

So my copy of Halo 5 arrived this morning. Went home during lunch to pop the disk in and start the installation which was just over 50 gigs. Came home thinking it was ready to play. Nope. It needed a day 1 update which was another 9 gigs!!! Now I'm waiting. Oh not to mention a big surprise, but they're having issues with matchmaking...

We know you're experiencing issues matchmaking in Halo 5: Guardians, Xbox members, and we're working with our partner to get it fixed as soon as possible. Thanks for staying patient while we get things back to normal! We'll post an update as soon as we have more information.

It's Master Chief Collection all over again.

I can't help but chuckle at the irony after reading the article Dakar posted.

EDIT: After 2 1/2 hours to download the update I'm finally ready to play. It's midnight here and I'm pissed! Gonna have to wait till tomorrow night to play. That is if there's not another update. :/
( Last edited by KCrosbie; Oct 28, 2015 at 03:02 AM. )

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2015, 02:53 AM

Polyphony have an announcement about a new ps4 game!!

GT7? No that's still ages away.

GT7 Prologue? Smaller than that.

GT Academy tournament demo? Sort of, but instead of GT Academy, the leaderboard winners get a prize from the FIA.

I'll download it and have a go then... No, it will be a beta version first, and that will be in Spring 2016.

Gran Turismo Sport Announced, Beta in Early 2016 - IGN

GT6 on the PS3 came out after the PS4 was released, the speed Polyphony do things, I can see the full GT7 being a PS4 game for the PS5 launch.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 28, 2015, 03:05 PM

Oddly enough, I got bored yesterday and pulled out GT5 and played for a bit, I forgot how absolutely awful the GT games are with engine sounds. Was GT6 any better?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2015, 04:02 PM

Polyphony should poach DICE's sound engineers.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2015, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
So my copy of Halo 5 arrived this morning. Went home during lunch to pop the disk in and start the installation which was just over 50 gigs. Came home thinking it was ready to play. Nope. It needed a day 1 update which was another 9 gigs!!! Now I'm waiting. Oh not to mention a big surprise, but they're having issues with matchmaking...

[/b][/i]

It's Master Chief Collection all over again.

I can't help but chuckle at the irony after reading the article Dakar posted.

EDIT: After 2 1/2 hours to download the update I'm finally ready to play. It's midnight here and I'm pissed! Gonna have to wait till tomorrow night to play. That is if there's not another update. :/
Yeah, I bought my copy of HALO 5 yesterday afternoon and popped it in the Xbox One before supper. I knew I'd have to wait for the install and I wasn't gonna play yesterday anyways (But yea, what a huge update!). I'm still actively playing Destiny.

It sounds like it was good I didn't start HALO 5.

But I would have started with at least the first couple of campaign missions so I wouldn't have run into the MP problems. I'll probably try it out Thursday or Friday.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2015, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Oh not to mention a big surprise, but they're having issues with matchmaking...
That's nothing new to any online title. Though now that I reflect back on it, I'm suspicious that the Battlefront 'beta' didn't have any that I'm aware of. All the more reason to think of it as a demo.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Oct 28, 2015, 07:46 PM

I really have no goddamned idea what I'm doing in Halo 5.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2015, 12:39 PM

Shoot anything that's not on your team - that applies to both SP and MP.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2015, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
I really have no goddamned idea what I'm doing in Halo 5.
You and 343 industries both.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2015, 09:53 AM

We've got an interne that started on Monday. Started talking about games and he said that he has Fallout 4. Obligatory 'Fcuk you liar' comes out.

He played Skyrim on PC, installed via Steam. He finished it. All of it. Every quest. Everything. Spent 6700 hours. Thats 280 days. Bethesda contacted him, and a few other people around the world who had finished Skyrim, and let him have Fallout 4 a week early. He says its excellent so far. He loved the others as well.

Never met someone who spent so much time in one game. Not even sure if I touched 1000 hours in any of the CoDs that I spent so much time in.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2015, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
He played Skyrim on PC, installed via Steam. He finished it. All of it. Every quest. Everything. Spent 6700 hours. Thats 280 days. Bethesda contacted him, and a few other people around the world who had finished Skyrim, and let him have Fallout 4 a week early. He says its excellent so far. He loved the others as well.
That's a staggering amount of time. I'd be scared to know my total time spent with Civ II, but there's no way it even hit the 1,000 hour mark.

6,700 hours...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2015, 12:18 PM

I think BF4 was my longest played game. Not sure if I broke 1500 hours

P
Nov 5, 2015, 05:12 PM

I don't think I've broken 1000 hours in any game. I know I have a lot of hours in games like Civ IV, CK2, EU4, but 6700?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2015, 06:41 PM

I have over 10,000 hours /played on World of Warcraft. I haven't played it in two years. There are people with much, much more than that on WoW for sure. One of my characters alone has over a year worth of played time...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2015, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I have over 10,000 hours /played on World of Warcraft. I haven't played it in two years. There are people with much, much more than that on WoW for sure. One of my characters alone has over a year worth of played time...
Malcolm Gladwell says you perfected WoW.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2015, 02:21 PM

Wow is a bit of a different animal. That and you have to factor in time. I've probably played over 5000 hours in online multiplayer between halo, gears, call of duty, battlefield, and planet side.

P
Nov 6, 2015, 02:49 PM

Wow is different in that it has been the "current" iteration since 2004. Back then Civ was on III, and it is now on V - plus that each of those games had two expansions. Europa Universalis was on II and is now on IV and has had any number of expansions for each. Even so, I don't have 10000 hours on either.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2015, 03:04 PM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2015, 12:04 PM

Fatty/sek has to start a Fallout 4 thread.

I reckon its going to be huge.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 9, 2015, 12:59 PM

Yeah, I'll be looking into it. Can't link from mobile, but the digital foundry analysis is showing frame drops to ZERO on the X1. Shades of Skyrim PS3

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2015, 02:56 PM

Fallout is very close to my heart, but I'm wondering what there is to pull out of it this go round. If I'm going to be playing on an 8-year-old engine, I'd rather be in DC.

Likewise, while the periods are different, DC and Boston both have an "Americana" thing going on.

Cities I would have found more intriguing:

Chicago (not surprising)
Miami (Jungle Fallout)
Denver (Cheyenne Mountain, yo)
Seattle (don't **** with Canada)
Detroit (can be used as is)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2015, 06:05 PM

I think Fallout in Bawston is gonna be wicked pissash!

P
Nov 9, 2015, 06:16 PM

It's not the same engine as Fallout 3. That was "Gamebryo", which had been the core of Bethesda's games, patched up over the years, ever since Morrowind (in 2002!). The one in Fallout 4 is "Creation", the engine from Skyrim - again based on Gamebryo, but it is certainly better than the old engine. The game isn't especially pretty, but for one thing, Fallout never is, and for another, it appears that that is mostly due to the lack of hi-res textures. We know what modders can do about those.

The Fallout series has been in Chicago once - in 2001's Fallout Tactics. Bethesda has tried to steer clear of environments used in previous games, and has also stated that they want to avoid the west coast used in the originals. My hope is that we get a new "New Vegas" from Obsidian in a couple of years.

Denver was due to be used in the cancelled original Fallout 3 from Black Isle, then possibly in New Vegas (as a lot of the story and environment work for New Vegas was based on the old work on Fallout 3), but was cut.

Personally I feel that they should go south of the Mason-Dixon line for one game - big metropolitan areas have been done, east coast or not, and the only thing that could top what they have in F3 is if they made a massive Metro-style game based in NYC.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2015, 09:03 AM

Like... Miami.

I guess Skyrim level graphics are a bump, but not a huge one. Definitely not enough for me to get a next gen console, especially when my best hope for graphics will be a PC... in six months.

P
Nov 10, 2015, 11:22 AM

It is supposedly improved upon Skyrim as well. Actually the engine doesn't look half bad, the lighting is better, the animations are better. What looks poor are the textures. I have full faith in the modding community there.

The Miami area could work for a game. In general there seems to be potential for a slavery parallel with ghouls, androids, supermutants... although the supermutants have been done to death.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2015, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Fatty/sek has to start a Fallout 4 thread.

I reckon its going to be huge.
Yes, please.

I had it preloaded on my PC, but we've been in Dallas for family matters, so I'm not going to be able to start it until tonight.

Fallout is very close to my heart, but I'm wondering what there is to pull out of it this go round. If I'm going to be playing on an 8-year-old engine, I'd rather be in DC.

Likewise, while the periods are different, DC and Boston both have an "Americana" thing going on.

Cities I would have found more intriguing:

Chicago (not surprising)
Miami (Jungle Fallout)
Denver (Cheyenne Mountain, yo)
Seattle (don't **** with Canada)
Detroit (can be used as is)
I don't find Chicago as an interesting city. It's only interesting because it's huge. Cold, windy, and urban.

I do think Miami and Denver would be cool, but I have a few other submissions:

San Francisco - It may be too obvious, but the landscape, water, bridges, verticality, and architecture would make it really enjoyable from a design perspective. Also: irradiated, mutant seals. Also: irradiated, mutant Great Whites.

New Orleans - This is my homer pick, but the architecture, city center, and surrounding area could be really interesting for a Fallout title. Also: irradiated, mutant alligators.

Somewhere in Mexico (Mexico City? Tijuana?) - I want to see what has happened outside of the U.S.

Toronto - Canada was annexed by the U.S. in the Fallout universe. Let's see how that sets with our friends up north. However, The Greater Toronto Area may be too large and geographically uninteresting.

London - An endless supply of landmarks and potential for plenty of interesting characters.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I think Fallout in Bawston is gonna be wicked pissash!
I was waiting for something like this.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2015, 12:10 PM

Thought of another: San Antonio.

The only problem would be enough landmarks. The Alamo is obvious, but the rest of the city...

The huge benefit would be the Hispanic / southern / cowboy dynamics could make for some interesting characters and conflicts.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 10, 2015, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I had it preloaded on my PC, but we've been in Dallas for family matters, so I'm not going to be able to start it until tonight.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2015, 07:26 PM

What's he playing? 5 years ago I might have assumed WOW. Looks like DOTA or some play-alike to me. If so, impressive as that has quite the learning curve.

P
Nov 11, 2015, 06:14 AM

I think DOTA has more chrome (UI) from the screenshots I can see.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2015, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Had a feeling my choice of words was a risk.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2015, 08:32 PM

What's he playing? 5 years ago I might have assumed WOW. Looks like DOTA or some play-alike to me. If so, impressive as that has quite the learning curve.
Originally Posted by P View Post
I think DOTA has more chrome (UI) from the screenshots I can see.
That's League of Legends.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2015, 02:35 AM

Tourist, you can tell by the mouse grip.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2015, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
That's League of Legends.
Yes! I've still got it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules