Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 104)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 30, 2015, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
and that's where the bulk of a gaming PC's budget goes (unless the person is stupid).
I'd like to see the numbers on that. My guess is they aren't that common.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2015, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'd like to see the numbers on that. My guess is they aren't that common.
What aren't that common?
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2015, 03:06 PM

Capitalism killing games and the world - Lanning | GamesIndustry.biz
Looking back at the evolution of the industry, Lanning observed that the gap between the GTAs, the Call of Dutys and the rest of the smaller projects has only widened with each successive console generation. And at the very heart of the problem, he believes, is capitalism. (It should be noted that Abe's Odyssee, itself, was already a critique of capitalism).

"That problem has been a trend, really, since I got in. I'd say it's more of a capitalism trend, which means all those companies need growth. If you're a public company you need to have constant growth and you need to conquer more territory, and the day you're not, your shareholders bail. That's it," he described to GamesIndustry.biz.

"And then you get acquired or you get thrown out the door. So in this space, what happened is inevitability someone starts building a $100 million title and then they kill it and then someone else goes, 'Well, we need to be there too next year because we know X number of people are going to buy racing, X number of people are going to buy shooters, X number of people are going to buy football and soccer next year, these are aces in the hole. Someone's going to be grabbing the billion and a half dollars in those sectors. We've got to go after it.' The competition is getting more fierce."

As more and more money was poured into projects and as big companies became more risk averse, developers got shafted, said Lanning. "The terms got worse for developers. So the budget's going up, and now [publishers are] saying, 'Now we're spending $20 million on a title and not $5 million, and at $20 million, we need better terms. You're going to do 10 times the work, but you're going to get a fifth of the backside because we're risking all this money.' Depending on how savvy they would be with the deals, usually they never made money. Most developers never really made money. They were able to stay in the business. But the way the deals were structured, they were basically dead," Lanning lamented.

"So what is a sustainable model? Well, don't have investors. Don't have an IPO. Don't go public. Then maybe there might be a sustainable model. But can you focus on niches instead of blockbusters? If you're going to continue focusing on blockbusters, then you're going to be competing against the big boys. Now you're half a billion dollars into development... just like the movies. So who can afford to play? But when we talk to indies today, I used to be like, well, if I sell a million and a half units, we're going to be a loser. But today, if we sell 150,000 units we're in the black," he said.

"So I look at it as, if I went with a publisher, you want a 5x return. If you're a venture capitalist, you want a 10x return. If you're an indie, can you double your money? Now, if you were in real estate, and you could double your money, you would be thrilled. So why not in entertainment? So here's where our opportunity lies. As craftsmen, our opportunity lies in finding the niches where we know our audience, we focus on it, we listen to it, we respect it, we treat it with some grace and...if you can keep mobilizing that audience, keep informing that audience, then how much is that worth?"

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2015, 04:58 PM

Is it capitalism that killed it or greed. Frankly, I think it's greed. Why do you need a 5x or 10x return? Isn't 2-3x enough?
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2015, 11:19 PM

Most VC firms seem quite predatory, I can understand his annoyance. BUT, so many projects go belly-up that those firms have to get their profits where they can, which is off the successful ones. I know it sucks for developers, but that's the problem with using someone else's money to get the ball rolling.

Kickstarter and Indiegogo are alternatives, but people are getting disenchanted with those now too, because again, so many projects underproduce or never make anything at all (Yogventures). Still, you can be successful if you have a great idea, people will turn out to fund such ventures, they're just more cautious now.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2015, 04:07 AM

Most VC firms seem quite predatory, I can understand his annoyance. BUT, so many projects go belly-up that those firms have to get their profits where they can, which is off the successful ones. I know it sucks for developers, but that's the problem with using someone else's money to get the ball rolling.

Kickstarter and Indiegogo are alternatives, but people are getting disenchanted with those now too, because again, so many projects underproduce or never make anything at all (Yogventures). Still, you can be successful if you have a great idea, people will turn out to fund such ventures, they're just more cautious now.
Although there is this exception : Fans Have Dropped $77M on This Guy's Buggy, Half-Built Game | WIRED

Mind boggling really.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Apr 1, 2015, 12:37 PM

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and expansion for Steam.

!! YOU MISSED THE CODES, UNLESS YOU'RE LAMINAR !!

Be kind. Post when you claim. Yes, this kind of code drop will continue to happen.
( Last edited by Mike Wuerthele; Apr 2, 2015 at 01:28 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2015, 12:54 PM

Interesting. Trying to drive site traffic? Thread traffic? God knows this thread doesn't deliver like it used to.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Apr 1, 2015, 01:05 PM

Neither, really. Had the codes, though I should offer it to the forum faithful first.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2015, 01:11 PM

Ah. Very thoughtful of you.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2015, 01:23 PM

I would claim them, but my backlog is so huge that I'm not sure how long it would be until I got to them. If anyone who is dying to play the game really soon wants them, I'd hate to be the greedy type.

And yes, super thoughtful.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 2, 2015, 07:48 AM

Nabbed the game.

BL2 was one of my favorites and this has been on my Steam wishlist since it came out.

Felt greedy so I didn't take the expansion pack...yet.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Apr 2, 2015, 08:01 AM

Just go ahead and grab it, I've got no issues with that.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 2, 2015, 10:30 AM

So, I was looking forward to Suspend/Resume because GTA takes an eon to load, but unfortunately, the s/r feature doesn't play well with online. I can join lobbies, but I'll be alone. The matchmaking doesn't work and joining other games fails unless I close GTA and relaunch it. Damn shame.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 2, 2015, 11:04 AM

When I played, having my iPhone in hand was mandatory to fill all of the time spent loading and waiting. When I started playing something else it was somewhat of a shock that I couldn't get through 5 or 6 posts on Reddit between each session.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2015, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
Just go ahead and grab it, I've got no issues with that.
Okay, done. Really looking forward to this one.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2015, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Although there is this exception : Fans Have Dropped $77M on This Guy's Buggy, Half-Built Game | WIRED

Mind boggling really.
What a sh*tty click-baity title.

One, it's Chris Roberts, for space combat games you might as well say God is producing it.
Two, it's buggy and half built because it's in pre-beta and far from finished, they're letting sponsors play it as they develop the game. Maybe a mistake, maybe not, but at least they've always been upfront about the development process and take tester input quite seriously.
Three, there's nothing of its scope that's ever been attempted before. It's an MMORPG, a very detailed space flight/combat sim, and it's a deeply involving space strategy game (covering 10s of 1000s of worlds), all at the same time. Essentially you take Eve, WoW, and Elite: Dangerous, integrate them tightly together, and you have Star Citizen.

I think it's coming along very well (been a backer since the beginning), some people just don't understand how long it takes to make a game like this, and when it does finally get officially released it'll be the game of the decade.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 2, 2015, 12:25 PM

Two, it's buggy and half built because it's in pre-beta and far from finished, they're letting sponsors play it as they develop the game. Maybe a mistake, maybe not, but at least they've always been upfront about the development process and take tester input quite seriously.
It takes a lot of balls do that, in a good way. You can't hide behind labels of progress – everyone can see exactly how far you've gotten. On kickstarter, that strikes me as a huge plus. Transparency is heartening.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 6, 2015, 02:52 PM

NBA 2K14 server shutdown ends players' career modes | Polygon
When NBA 2K14's online support was scheduled to shut down March 31 after 16 months in service, 2K Sports told PlayStation 4 and Xbox One players that their career save games would not be affected, and they could continue playing those careers offline. Turns out that's not true.

When the shutdown was announced at the end of February, NBA 2K gamers mindful of those troubles wondered if this would render their save files useless. A 2K Sports representative told Polygon that the files would be converted for offline use, even if they would no longer accrue Virtual Currency, which also is being retired on NBA 2K14.

"Online files will not disappear, but rather they will turn to offline saves and earn skill points as opposed to VC," 2K Sports said at the time.

Not so. According to a form response 2K Support has been sending users, which one provided to Polygon, these save files also are being "retired."

"This means that if you had created a MyCareer or a MyGM online save file that was once connected to our servers it too sadly has retired and is no longer available for use and it would be necessary to re-create these files as offline saves," 2K Support says.
These people are idiots.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2015, 06:30 PM

Wow. What is up with these sports games screwing over their online players?

Servers shutting down for another sports video game a year after its launch | Polygon

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2015, 11:12 AM

Unbelievable...

"...but all good things must come to an end and rest assured your MyCareer or MyGM went out while on top!"

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 7, 2015, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Wow. What is up with these sports games screwing over their online players?
I'm not sure but I have a guess: Last year was a cross generational year, meaning these servers aren't as busy as normal.

Counterpoint: Publishers weren't this dickish during the recession when they were trying to cut any cost possible.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2015, 10:01 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2015, 04:01 PM

PC Gamers, get your 7 GTA V DVDs yet?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2015, 04:55 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 9, 2015, 10:49 AM

Poorly worded article but...
Dollar’s buying power plummets in first day of “official” WoW gold trading | Ars Technica
To start the market off, Blizzard set the price of a $20 token at 30,000 gold. That gold price increased incrementally for a few hours before plummeting precipitously starting yesterday evening in the US. As of this writing, just over 24 hours after the markets opened, that initial gold price of a token has fallen over 27 percent to 21,739 gold, according to an API-based tracking site.
---

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/0...s-and-archives
The Entertainment Software Association doesn’t want anyone to restore the functionality of older videogames that are no longer supported by their publisher, because, says ESA, this is “hacking,” and all hacking is “associated with piracy.”
OH OK

We’re asking for an exemption to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act’s anti-circumvention provisions (Section 1201) for those who modify games to keep them working after the servers they need are shut down. Many player communities, along with museums, archives, and researchers, want to keep the games they own playable after publishers shut down the servers the games depend on. Section 1201 creates legal difficulty for these communities, which is why we’ve asked the Copyright Office to give them an exemption.

Section 1201 is often used by the entertainment industries not to prevent copyright infringement but to control markets and lock out competition. So it’s not surprising that ESA (the trade association for the largest game producers), along with MPAA and RIAA, have written to the Copyright Office to oppose this exemption. They say that modifying games to connect to a new server (or to avoid contacting a server at all) after publisher support ends—letting people continue to play the games they paid for—will destroy the video game industry.
Jack Valenti would be proud

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 9, 2015, 02:23 PM

Looks like a Polygon journo bragged about cybersquatting, then immediately backtracked.
Journalist at Polygon has bought the Lego Dimensions domain? legodimensions.com - NeoGAF

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 9, 2015, 04:32 PM

Rumor
Apr 10, 2015, 02:07 AM

Is it just me or have the current gen releases been lackluster? I know close to launch that is usually the case but it has been over a year now for each console, and both offer *meh*.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 10, 2015, 09:13 AM

I don't think it's just you. Other than Battlefront in the fall, I'm not really waiting for anything.

That said, I think the fault partially lies with me.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2015, 02:11 PM

Steam is now allowing users to pre-load GTA V so that it's ready to play immediately upon launch day.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2015, 03:19 PM

Battlefront is one of the only upcoming games that I'm dying to play.

Please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 10, 2015, 03:34 PM

It won't suck, it just might not be playable Day 1.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2015, 10:10 PM

If all of 2015's big titles turn into 2014 Round Two, what incentive do gamers have to buy any multiplayer-centric game within a month after launch?

You actually made me angry about something that may not even happen.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2015, 01:31 PM

Looks like a Polygon journo bragged about cybersquatting, then immediately backtracked.
Journalist at Polygon has bought the Lego Dimensions domain? legodimensions.com - NeoGAF
There is no integrity in games journalism, Polygon, Kataku, et al. are a disgrace. I look forward to the day they all go bankrupt.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2015, 02:57 PM

Picked up Far Cry 4 on clearance in Target, figured my PS4 needed some use.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2015, 03:13 PM

No one going down the Bloodborne road?

Seems sadomasochistic to me, but there's apparently a pretty big audience for that.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2015, 03:22 PM

There is no integrity in games journalism, Polygon, Kataku, et al. are a disgrace. I look forward to the day they all go bankrupt.
Polygon is full of pretentious social justice warriors.
Kotaku has outlived its usefulness.
IGN is full of fans-turned-journos.

I find some of the best insights from guys on their own on YouTube. I don't know a lot of the main personalities, but I do enjoy watching TotalBiscuit. I love that I can search almost any game, and there will be someone who deep-dives into the intricacies of it and post dozens of videos dedicated to it. I watched about three videos about Cities: Skylines, and that was all it took to convince me I needed it. Ever since, they've been a constant source of information concerning mods and improvements.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 11, 2015, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
No one going down the Bloodborne road?

Seems sadomasochistic to me, but there's apparently a pretty big audience for that.
I asked that a while ago. It strikes me the type of game that embodies some of the worst traits of games.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2015, 06:30 PM

To be honest I've played nothing but "hard" games recently (Alien: Isolation, Metro Redux, Last of Us, etc...) so something like Bloodborne doesn't interest me right now.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2015, 12:08 AM

Polygon is full of pretentious social justice warriors.
Kotaku has outlived its usefulness.
IGN is full of fans-turned-journos.

I find some of the best insights from guys on their own on YouTube. I don't know a lot of the main personalities, but I do enjoy watching TotalBiscuit. I love that I can search almost any game, and there will be someone who deep-dives into the intricacies of it and post dozens of videos dedicated to it. I watched about three videos about Cities: Skylines, and that was all it took to convince me I needed it. Ever since, they've been a constant source of information concerning mods and improvements.
TB (John Bain) is the bomb, he's practically the last honest man in the business. Angry Joe is great too.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 12, 2015, 07:50 PM

If all of 2015's big titles turn into 2014 Round Two, what incentive do gamers have to buy any multiplayer-centric game within a month after launch?
That's actually a different concern than I was alluding to. Big name games that have to hit target dates ship with bugs.

You actually made me angry about something that may not even happen.
Which made me realize, the game will be unplayable due to overwhelmed servers at least the first week.

AND WE'RE CALLING IT NOW. Infuriating.

I have no problem with Kotaku, particularly since Crescente left (for Polygon, of course)and Totilo took over. Polygon's problem is they have their heads way up their own asses, plus the entire being on MS's cock thing, along with their natural deference/brown-nosing with publishers.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Picked up Far Cry 4 on clearance in Target, figured my PS4 needed some use.
That better not be a shot at me! You know where to find me.

TB (John Bain) is the bomb, he's practically the last honest man in the business. Angry Joe is great too.
TB is honest, and comprehensive, but I find he can be quite repetitive (I've noticed his videos have gotten shorter lately, so he's probably addressing that.

The other problem is his style of talking can get very, very annoying, indeed.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2015, 12:33 AM

TB is honest, and comprehensive, but I find he can be quite repetitive (I've noticed his videos have gotten shorter lately, so he's probably addressing that.

All that cancer treatment took its toll on him.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2015, 01:45 AM

Do you still play BF4 or have you moved on to GTA 5?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2015, 01:12 PM

All that cancer treatment took its toll on him.
Beat me to it. Luckily, he's in remission now, but he said it's going to take some time to get back up to full speed.

As for the reputation, I quickly realized that his viewers can always expect a little field of view discussion.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
I mostly just feel that way about Angry Joe.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 13, 2015, 01:15 PM

Are you guys really missing the fact that he over uses "very, very" and "indeed"?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2015, 02:46 PM

Are you guys really missing the fact that he over uses "very, very" and "indeed"?
It doesn't bug me nearly as much as Patrick Beja's overuse of "really", I've filtered it already.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 13, 2015, 02:58 PM

Oh yeah, I think he says "really, really" a lot too.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2015, 05:15 PM

It wasn't. I considered buying GTA, but when it comes right down to it I have little to no interest in that series anymore. PLaying online would be a blast for sure, if I find it for cheap I may join you.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2015, 05:36 PM

Doesn't everyone overuse a certain phrase or word?

I know I begin 90% of the last lines of my posts on 'NN with "Also..."

Forum Links
Forum Rules