Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 116)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2015, 04:28 PM

In a related note, it's down to $40 on Amazon

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2015, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
In a related note, it's down to $40 on Amazon
That is kind of amazing (and possibly telling).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2015, 10:25 PM

Yeah, given the season it's not definitive, but I won't be surprised if EA acts extra opaque about sales numbers.

P
Dec 10, 2015, 03:23 AM

What sales numbers I can find look good (Both its PS4 and Xbone sales are fourth place for this year, after COD:BLOPS, Fifa 16 and Fallout 4), but the buzz has certainly not been positive, and those sales numbers you can google up are usually not that reliable.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2015, 03:31 AM

That totalbiscuit review was spot on. A few weeks in and I'm already done with this game. I'm actually going back to Destiny to try out some Sparrow racing.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2015, 12:08 PM

Great review of Battlefront from totalbiscuit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLtwK6Oe23I
I think he managed to verbalize a lot of things I couldn't quite put my finger on. I'd also say its probably one of the best reviews I've ever heard from him. Sounded more prepared than the usual off-the-cuff.
Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
That totalbiscuit review was spot on. A few weeks in and I'm already done with this game. I'm actually going back to Destiny to try out some Sparrow racing.
I think you're right in that he put special effort into this, likely because it epitomizes corporate disregard for consumers. EA shamelessly rushed this through, probably a year too early, in order to capitalize on the Star Wars license. It offends me both as a gamer and a lifelong Star Wars fan.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2015, 01:07 PM

I gotta disagree with you there. The game is extremely well polished, and while there is a lack of maps, I think that's a casualty of all the game modes. The problem is the game is a demographic shotgun. It looks like it trying to appeal to everyone, but more importantly, to the younger crowd and those that don't typically play fps. BF4 was pretty ****ed when it came out but its core gameplay was still fun and focused. This is not.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2015, 04:59 PM

I gotta disagree with you there. The game is extremely well polished, and while there is a lack of maps, I think that's a casualty of all the game modes. The problem is the game is a demographic shotgun. It looks like it trying to appeal to everyone, but more importantly, to the younger crowd and those that don't typically play fps. BF4 was pretty ****ed when it came out but its core gameplay was still fun and focused. This is not.
I don't think I'm totally disagreeing with you, but I see what you're saying.

I feel like time constraints could be responsible (or at least partially responsible) for:
- Too few maps.
- Rushed gameplay concepts like the scattered tokens.
- Not enough upgrades.
- Not enough of a difference between guns.
- Half-fleshed-out game modes.
- A half-hearted single-player effort.
- A general lack of imagination reserved for mechanics and progression systems.

While I agree with you that they were trying to reach too broad of an audience, my question (perhaps directed at EA) would have to be, "Isn't the largest gaming audience the FPS crowd?" Wouldn't it make the most sense to develop a really good shooter on its own right? Between Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, Destiny, and CS:GO, there are tens of millions of FPS fans.

There is a great deal of overlap between gamer/geek culture. If a really solid FPS just threw a Star Wars skin on top of itself, it's a massive success. EA chose to focus on making a very beautiful Star Wars environment, and then tried to squeeze a game into it. They worked backwards.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2015, 05:22 PM

The scattered tokens aren't a rushed feature. They're purposeful randomized shit, to eliminate skill. Think COD care package, only worse.

The lack of difference in general me I read as avoiding skilled players subduing them out and getting an advantage. Though it may just be lack of context.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2015, 04:47 AM

Posting here because GPUs, and P, and well because.

http://www.wired.com/2015/12/faceboo...ce-ai-big-sur/

Why are GPUs better at AI stuff?

P
Dec 11, 2015, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Posting here because GPUs, and P, and well because.

Facebook Open Sources Its AI Hardware as It Races Google | WIRED

Why are GPUs better at AI stuff?
Not knowing a thing about "Deep Learning", GPUs are really good when many tasks can be run in parallel, and when things need memory bandwidth. Probably "Deep Learning" uses one or both of these.

nVidia and AMD both oversell just how many "shader cores" their graphics cards have, but my graphics card, the Radeon 290, has 40 cores running at 1 GHz, each able to execute 64 single-precision floating point operations per cycle. This is reported as 40*64=2560 "shader cores", which isn't strictly true because they're not independent (you cannot assign 2560 random different programs to run at once, you send a program to a core and it executes on multiple values of a vector, much like SSE), but that is still a lot. For comparison, the main CPU has 4 cores, each of which can (since Haswell) execute 32 single precision floats per cycle at a higher clockspeed - until it gets starved waiting for data, because that's the other thing GPUs are good at.

That same Radeon 290 has a 512-bit memory bus running at 5.2 GHz effective. The CPU in that same box has a 128-bit memory bus running at 1.6 GHz effective, or about a twelfth. HBM in the latest graphics cards moves this even further, to give graphics cards an even bigger advantage.

In sum, graphics cards rock when you're running simple programs over a huge dataset. Which I can imagine people like Facebook and Google doing.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2015, 11:34 AM

NPD is out. Battlefront is 3rd. I don't think the sales are as weak as I might have expected, but context is hard to come by.

P
Dec 11, 2015, 11:57 AM

The text mentions that CoD is selling better on Xbone than PS4, despite the differences in install base. Sounds like that a lot of those sales are to series regulars.

Also note that Battlefront only came out on the 17th, a week after Fallout 4 and almost 2 after CoD, that Rise of the Tomb Raider is not on the list at all, and that this will be almost entirely console sales since NPD doesn't track online sales like Steam.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2015, 01:32 PM

Digital and bundles are missing too. I'd have to double check but I think including bundles COD still did better on the X1. I wonder if that's all that's left of the 360 base, because Battlefield numbers crush the Xbox.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2015, 10:41 AM

Kojima working on an exclusive for PS4. For some reason this gives me the impression Sony is killing it lately.

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2015, 05:28 PM

Sony definitely has an aggressive price for the PS4 -- just came back from Best Buy and saw a system that was only $40 more than the Wii U bundled with Mario Kart 8. I'm a Wii U owner, and it's hard to see any hope in growing the install base with a price that close. Long live the NX!

"Psssst..."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 18, 2015, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Evener View Post
Sony definitely has an aggressive price for the PS4 -- just came back from Best Buy and saw a system that was only $40 more than the Wii U bundled with Mario Kart 8. I'm a Wii U owner, and it's hard to see any hope in growing the install base with a price that close. Long live the NX!
Yeah, the Nintendo has left the Wii U to die, but you make a good point – if they've all but stopped support for it, why not milk some final sales by dropping the price?
Edit: Checked on Amazon. Over $300?! I know the tablet controller adds to the cost but jeezus.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2015, 11:24 PM

New gaming system titled "Coleco Chameleon" to enter market next year

The COLECO Chameleon is apparently a video-game system that serves as “a modern day take on the classic game console,” and will accurately play compilations of favorite games from the past. The COLECO Chameleon also has the ability play brand-new games in the 8-,16- and 32-bit styles.

Plus, cartridges are back! For the first time in nearly 20 years, the COLECO Chameleon will once again play brand new games on long-lasting, durable cartridges that can be played, traded, and collected for a lifetime. And all game cartridges will include high quality, plastic clamshell cases with illustrated instruction manuals and game developer liner notes.
This article is a little misleading as it makes it sound as if Coleco is back. This is untrue as their assets were sold to Hasbro and to a Canadian company back in 1988. Sounds as if it's a firm with the rights of the Coleco name partnering up with a company called Retro VGS.

Curious to see how this does. Never thought I'd see another cartridge based system again.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 18, 2015, 11:52 PM

This strikes me as an ill-advised ploy to cash in on nostalgia. I say this without having read the article.

P
Dec 24, 2015, 07:28 PM

'Twas the night before Christmas, and the EA authorization servers were down - just as presents were being handed out around here (Christmas presents are generally opened on the evening of Christmas Eve in Sweden). That's a new twist on the "no batteries" Christmas disaster.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 24, 2015, 07:36 PM

Embrace the future!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 27, 2015, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
(Christmas presents are generally opened on the evening of Christmas Eve in Sweden).
WEIRD. I wonder if that's why my family has always opened gifts on Christmas Eve.

I've been playing with a low budget FreeTrack system for racing games. The hat has IR LEDs on it and the PS3 camera has its IR filter removed. I think I need to add a visible light filter to the camera so that it doesn't pick up so much background noise.

Kind of gimmicky but Assetto Corsa has really cool detailed car interiors so it's kind of fun.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2015, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
WEIRD. I wonder if that's why my family has always opened gifts on Christmas Eve.
My parents started the tradition many years ago because they didn't want to hear three screaming children going crazy at 7 AM.

I've been playing with a low budget FreeTrack system for racing games. The hat has IR LEDs on it and the PS3 camera has its IR filter removed. I think I need to add a visible light filter to the camera so that it doesn't pick up so much background noise.

Kind of gimmicky but Assetto Corsa has really cool detailed car interiors so it's kind of fun.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2015, 01:22 PM

So, i got Donkey Kong Country Returns for Wii (the physical product), and i noticed there was no manual in the box. Seems kind of weird. Is that how it is now? No more manuals?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2015, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
So, i got Donkey Kong Country Returns for Wii (the physical product), and i noticed there was no manual in the box. Seems kind of weird. Is that how it is now? No more manuals?
Often, yep.

Not a huge loss for me, as it usually only served as a holder for my receipt.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2015, 05:54 PM

Usually you get a map of the controls (if you're lucky) and a page of warnings.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2016, 09:27 PM

Well, this is mighty impressive. A blind man defeats Zelda OoT, by sound and memory alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbU1w5S0QgU

Well! here it is! After about 5 years of working on this series, I have finally uploaded the entire play through first! a totally blind person completing Zelda Ocarina of Time, with just walkthroughs, helpful vids from fans, and save states. It has been long in the making, but I have finally accomplished my goal! Who knows what is next! Thanks for all those who have stuck with me through this series even after it seemed like I was giving up. Please enjoy the last vid of Zelda OOt, the final battle against Gannon!
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

P
Jan 7, 2016, 04:59 AM

Oculus Rift goes on sale at $599, which is quite a bit more than at least what I was expecting from their previous statements. And yet I am not mad, as a good chunk of the 'net seems to be right now.

I guess this means that a $900 computer is enough to drive it, then?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2016, 05:58 AM

$900? Yeah, that's about the minimum: GTX 970 or R9 290, a middling i5, 16GB of RAM, or about what you'd need to effectively run a AAA game @1440p. Given how much 1440p gaming monitors with adaptive sync tech go for, I think $600 isn't too bad. Plus you get ~$150 worth of extras in the bundle.

P
Jan 7, 2016, 06:22 AM

I'm just "surprised" that a $900 computer is enough. Skimming through the Tech Report builds just now, their "Sweet Spot" build comes to just under $1100. Sure you could cut the spinning disk and save a few dollars by going with a 390 instead of the 970 (which I would do anyway), but then I'd want at least 16 GB RAM, so at the end of the day, the price wouldn't change much.

(Note, btw, that those builds miss displays, speakers, mouse, keyboard, OS, and an optical drive - assuming that you have those already. Probably a fair assumption if you're building your own, but it does tend to underestimate the actual cost of the system.)

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2016, 06:21 AM

$900 is pretty easy in the US, at current component pricing. One of my techs, a real cheapskate (seriously, the guy is the most frugal person I've ever met), built his gaming PC for <$500.

3.6GHz Xeon E5-1620 CPU on a socket 2011 motherboard w/ 16GB RAM (ebay find)
Crucial recertified 240GB SSD
Refurbished WD 3TB HDD
Used AMD Radeon R9 290x (I think he said ~$140)
recycled HP workstation case w/ 600W PSU (had a Win 7 Pro key on the side of it)
scavenged PS2 KB and mouse

It can be done, as long as you're tech savvy or know someone who is.

P
Jan 8, 2016, 08:33 AM

Sure you can, if you like to pick up used parts and can fiddle with the Windows installer to accept an OEM key (can be done, just not straightforward), but it is not the kind of build you think of in the context of "$1500 for Oculus Rift plus a computer to run it".

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2016, 06:14 PM

Sure you can, if you like to pick up used parts and can fiddle with the Windows installer to accept an OEM key (can be done, just not straightforward), but it is not the kind of build you think of in the context of "$1500 for Oculus Rift plus a computer to run it".
The guy preordered a Rift to use with it, so at least some people will (he even OCed the BCLK and got it to >4GHz. Doesn't really take "fiddling" for CD keys, just a 2 minute phone call to the automated activation line, as long as it isn't active you're GTG. If you want to save $ when building a rig, used AMD GPUs are the only way to go. They commonly sell for half retail.

P
Jan 8, 2016, 08:08 PM

OEM Windows keys only work on a computer with a BIOS from that OEM. They won't install otherwise. This is not related to the activation step, which is where you can call in - it happens earlier in the installation. And sure, it can be worked around, but it is a little more complex than a phonecall.

AMD cards are cheaper used because so many of them were used in mining. Cheap yes, but they might not last.

I get that someone might have built a machine for an Occulus like that, but I think that it is dishonest by Lackey to say that an Occulus + computer to run it will run you $1500 if he knows that the only way to make that work is to chase deals like the above.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2016, 08:18 AM

OEM Windows keys only work on a computer with a BIOS from that OEM. They won't install otherwise. This is not related to the activation step, which is where you can call in - it happens earlier in the installation. And sure, it can be worked around, but it is a little more complex than a phonecall.
I literally did this last month with an HP key (it was what I had on hand after a motherboard swap in an office machine), it was only a phone call.

AMD cards are cheaper used because so many of them were used in mining. Cheap yes, but they might not last.

I get that someone might have built a machine for an Occulus like that, but I think that it is dishonest by Lackey to say that an Occulus + computer to run it will run you $1500 if he knows that the only way to make that work is to chase deals like the above.
They're designed to last for 5+ years of 100% use, several months worth of mining shouldn't harm them at all. You don't have to chase deals, at least not in the USA, you can buy all the parts from Newegg, brand new, to do it for $900.

Rosewill R536-BK - Black, Hot-Dipped Galvanized Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with 500W Power Supply - Newegg.com
MSI B150M Pro-VD LGA 1151 Intel B150 SATA 6Gb&#47;s USB 3.1 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 300 CPU Cooler 3 Heatpipes 120mm PWM Fan - Newegg.com
Intel Core i5-6500 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I56500 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 - Newegg.com
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB &#40;2 x 8GB&#41; 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 &#40;PC4 17000&#41; Memory Kit Model F4-2133C15D-16GRR - Newegg.com
Silicon Power Slim S55 2.5&#34; 240GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive &#40;SSD&#41; SP240GBSS3S55S25 - Newegg.com
SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290 DirectX 11.2 100362SR 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Newegg.com

All that is $710 shipped, using good brands (and Skylake i5 CPU), plus leaves enough for a OS, KB, mouse, and a 1080p IPS monitor.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home - 64-bit - Newegg.com
Logitech MK120 Wired USB Keyboard and Mouse - Black - Newegg.com
AOC I2269VW-B 22&#34; Ultra-Slim IPS LED Monitor with Ultra-Narrow Bezel &#40;5ms&#41; - Newegg.com

That's not so bad for $900, you can go even cheaper if you choose an AMD processor, though I wouldn't.

P
Jan 9, 2016, 09:34 AM

We're going off topic here, but...

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
I literally did this last month with an HP key (it was what I had on hand after a motherboard swap in an office machine), it was only a phone call.
Ah, but that is not exactly the same thing. Then it has been installed once on mostly that hardware, and you are reactivating is because certain components have changed. You described a fresh install with everything new but an old code.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2016, 02:51 PM

I know we're beating a dead horse, but the only thing that remained of the original office machine was the case and power supply (I'd also swapped in an SSD to replace the aging HDD)... which is what my tech had when building his:

recycled HP workstation case w/ 600W PSU (had a Win 7 Pro key on the side of it)
I have to admit that, at the time, I was surprised at the lack of fuss. To say MS is lax on activation codes is an understatement. Anyway, what do you think of the $900 build I posted? That one even includes a new Win10 OEM key. In fact, the only thing it lacks is a set of speakers or headphones. (and maybe an ODD, but who really uses those anymore?)

P
Jan 10, 2016, 08:36 AM

They must have changed the process then, because they used to be picky about that. One of the reasons to have the SA or Select programs was to get around that limitation - get a VLK that you could input into any installer.

(The fiddly workaround was to modify the Windows install DVD. To make it accept OEM keys from say HP, it needed to have HP's key on the disk and another key in the BIOS. If you kept the mobo, copying the keys from an actual HP installer disk - or, you know, the Internet - was enough. If you replaced the mobo but kept the disk, you could keep the install and reactivate by phone. If you replaced both, it got quite hairy to get to a fully activated legal Windows copy. Not impossible - one could for instance use one license key in the first check and then replace it on disk before the phone activation - but far out in the areas that the DMCA & EUCD probably frowns on.)

Your build looks good. I can't see the price of the GPU anymore - out of stock - and I normally wouldn't trust a PSU included with a case, but you also included a third party CPU HSF, and the non-K Intel CPUs come with one in the box, so there is a potential saving there.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 14, 2016, 03:48 PM

Microsoft activates XP over the internet without any license keys or checks now. At least that's what happened when I installed it on the garage PC last week.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2016, 06:53 PM

I read they retired support for windows 7 & 8 so I'm not surprised they don't care if 15 year-old OS gets pirated, as it were.

P
Jan 15, 2016, 06:27 AM

Windows 8 no longer has any support, because the upgrade to Windows 8.1 was free (MS considers it a Service Pack). Windows 7 has been out of Mainstream Support for about a year but remains in Extended Support, which means that MS continues to fix security bugs (which in practice includes crashing bugs). In practice that's pretty much all they fix anyway, so there is no difference. In effect, MS currently supports Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 19, 2016, 12:52 PM

Rainbow 6 is on sale for $35 on Amazon today

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2016, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/ga...KC_Returns.pdf

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2016, 02:21 PM

Thanks!

Nintendo NX, anyone? I'm interested since i've skipped the WiiU generation so far (and the WiiU does have quite a few great first party games). But I fear that the NX will just be a redesigned, re-branded and slightly souped up WiiU.... more like a mid-gen update.

P
Jan 26, 2016, 06:57 PM

Does not seem like it from the rumors. Nintendo appears to aim for the same performance category as the Xbone and PS4. In fact, what is looking mighty interesting now that I think about it is that AMD has their next gen CPUs and CPUs on the way out - the "Zen" generation for the CPUs and the "Polaris" arch for the GPUs, all on 16nm FinFET process. Zen might not be a great fit, although I wouldn't discount it, but AMD recently showed their low-end Polaris GPU facing off against a GTX 950 at essentially exactly the same performance but little over half the power - 86W for the entire system at the wall. That GPU would be almost identical to what is in the PS4, but running at much lower power and with more modern memory techniques (GDDR5X or HBM) which should make it cooler and cheaper than the PS4. I mainly thought about that chip - stated to be in OEM laptops for this back-to-school season - as a possibility for the 15" MBP, but it could be the basis for a new Nintendo console as well.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2016, 11:18 PM

I'm not sure where Nintendo heads now, parity or not. Third party support is not going to come back and motion controls no longer have the cachet they used to. I've heard mostly positive things about the Wii U's second screen, but it inflates the cost of the console. So how do you get people to spend $300 on a console for handful of unique games? I know it's a cliché but if the NX flops (assuming its a traditional console) I think they should consider focusing on their handheld business and consider going third party on one of the consoles (you know which one).

P
Jan 27, 2016, 04:35 AM

I think the point about making a console hardware similar to the PS4 is to bring back at least the sort of games that get ported to everything. Keep the price down, support older games through emulation, some basic TV functions and a million cheap/free mobile-type games... could be, I guess.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2016, 01:27 PM

I'm not sure what their strategy ought to be. If they make a PS4/XBO "clone", so what? who will buy it considering the libraries for the competitors are fairly mature and they will at best have a couple of gen1 titles? Just a spec update, with the same controller, will probably fail.

IMHO they need to focus on "fundamentals":
-Under $300 launch
-AAA First Party game showing off the system (ie Zelda)
-wide market appeal (as opposed to niches)
-third party support

@P.. switching to AMD has it's cons as well. it would be a major change for Nintendo which has been in the PowerPC camp. (IE no backwards compatibility at all, which means far less software at launch for customers).

With the WiiU, my deal breaker was the controller..... too complicated, and i'm almost certain i wouldnt enjoy the visual switching from TV to controller. Personally, i would just prefer an updated, more accurate WiiMote+nunchuck.

P
Jan 28, 2016, 05:55 AM

Well we don't know, but Nintendo has pretty much one USP, and that is its first party titles. If they can deliver something that is as good as the PS4 graphics-wise and can run Zelda and Mario, then I can see it working. Might even buy one myself if they keep the price down and use a sane controller scheme.

As for old game compatibility... This is less of an issue than it might seem. All the classic games (N64 and earlier) can certainly be emulated, and they don't use PowerPC CPUs anyway (N64 used MIPS). For the newer systems, I actually think that it will be possible to a larger extent than you might think - they all use various variants of the G3 at 486 MHz, 729 MHz and tri-core 1.24 GHz respectively, and when Apple moved to Intel, games written for the G3 were emulated quite easily - but more importantly, it won't be necessary. Most of what people want to play from those systems are Nintendo's first party games, and Nintendo can re-release them as they like. When MS and Sony work for backwards compatibility, it is because people want to play third party games, and Nintendo doesn't have any recent third party games that anyone wants to play anyway.

P
Feb 2, 2016, 12:38 PM

Rise of the Tomb Raider is out on PC, and XCOM2 is out this Friday. Both have great reviews, although RTR seems to be a poorly optimized before the first patch (a 980 Ti doesn't crack 60fps at 1440p/Very High, and lows are down in the low forties, while my 290 needs to drop to Medium to get the same level). Either of those interesting to anyone here? I seem to remember that several of us liked both of the games they are sequels to.

Forum Links
Forum Rules