Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 117)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2016, 12:11 AM

Quick R6 review for fatty.

The game is not exactly deep, but it is complex. There's the defensive strategy of what to fortify, and how to do so (electronics jamming, barbed wire, electrifying fortifications, laser wire traps, bulletproof door and window covers, etc.) Then there's offensive strategy that's dependent on both map and game type. One character has a device that sends five grenades ping-ponging inside a room. Useful if they're guarding a cap, less so if they're guarding a hostage you need alive. Otherwise, you can breach windows, doors, walls, ceilings, to create avenues of attack. If you're clever, you'll set-up a charge, flank, and then set-off the breach as a misdirection.

When played well or with a group, it can be quite satisfying. When played poorly, it is frustration. Gun play requires concentration and precision. Recoil is a real so you need to burst fire or get headshots – which are instakills.

There are 10 maps with various places per map where objectives can be held, but the variety of game types can leave a lot to be desired in the long run. In the end you're more likely to win by eliminating the opposing team than by achieving the objective, thereby making the gametype a moot point. In many of those instances where you do complete the objective, it's likely because the enemy was reduced to one person who decided they'd rather live than try to win.

There is also a cooperative mode that is not a pushover. I tried that tonight.

The graphics are great, the CG is top notch, and the framerate is a solid 60 fps. The latest patch took care of a few niggling points of irritation for players, which means the devs are listening. Biggest thing of note: All DLC will be free. Maps will be available day of, operators a week later at an inflated in-game currency cost.

All I can think of for now, willing to answer questions.

Edit: TTK is very quick and destructibility is also quite impressive. You can shoot through (some) walls and in particular, floors. It can make for some unique encounters and ****ery.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2016, 12:27 AM

Decent 6 min video showing some of the gameplay and kills
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eddQRpRt2qI

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2016, 04:39 AM

After watching this video, Gang Beasts might be my most anticipated game for the PS4. The release date is "Early 2016" but I have a feeling it will be pushed back again. The game has a Mario Party type of vibe and I love how you can interact with the environment. The video below is over 2hrs but I'll point you to the really funny parts.

00:46:00 - An intense 3 minute battle between the last two contestants.
01:05:13 - One of my favorite maps in the video. Wait for the awesome ending at the 01:13:50 mark.
01:17:30 - The elimination of the blue guy was hilarious. He tries to grab an opponent but ends up with only a hat.
01:27:30 - Awesome map. This whole match had me in tears.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

P
Feb 3, 2016, 09:58 AM

Latest freebie game from EA is Need for Speed: Most Wanted, the 2012 version. As usual, log on to Origin to claim your copy.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2016, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Quick R6 review for fatty.

The game is not exactly deep, but it is complex. There's the defensive strategy of what to fortify, and how to do so (electronics jamming, barbed wire, electrifying fortifications, laser wire traps, bulletproof door and window covers, etc.) Then there's offensive strategy that's dependent on both map and game type. One character has a device that sends five grenades ping-ponging inside a room. Useful if they're guarding a cap, less so if they're guarding a hostage you need alive. Otherwise, you can breach windows, doors, walls, ceilings, to create avenues of attack. If you're clever, you'll set-up a charge, flank, and then set-off the breach as a misdirection.

When played well or with a group, it can be quite satisfying. When played poorly, it is frustration. Gun play requires concentration and precision. Recoil is a real so you need to burst fire or get headshots – which are instakills.

There are 10 maps with various places per map where objectives can be held, but the variety of game types can leave a lot to be desired in the long run. In the end you're more likely to win by eliminating the opposing team than by achieving the objective, thereby making the gametype a moot point. In many of those instances where you do complete the objective, it's likely because the enemy was reduced to one person who decided they'd rather live than try to win.

There is also a cooperative mode that is not a pushover. I tried that tonight.

The graphics are great, the CG is top notch, and the framerate is a solid 60 fps. The latest patch took care of a few niggling points of irritation for players, which means the devs are listening. Biggest thing of note: All DLC will be free. Maps will be available day of, operators a week later at an inflated in-game currency cost.

All I can think of for now, willing to answer questions.

Edit: TTK is very quick and destructibility is also quite impressive. You can shoot through (some) walls and in particular, floors. It can make for some unique encounters and ****ery.
From what I understand, the free DLC and heavy emphasis on teamwork was a focused, deliberate attempt on Ubisoft's part to make R6 an e-sports competitor to Counter-Strike. I'm really, really interested in it, as CS:GO is a blast, but it the environments and animation feel so incredibly dated. Little touches in R6 like busting holes through walls and shooting through are nice.

Have you experienced any server issues?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2016, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Latest freebie game from EA is Need for Speed: Most Wanted, the 2012 version. As usual, log on to Origin to claim your copy.
I saw this an picked it up yesterday. How often do they offer free games?

P
Feb 3, 2016, 02:30 PM

There is always one free, and they change the free one every other month or so.

P
Feb 3, 2016, 07:01 PM

Rise of the Tomb Raider is out on PC, and XCOM2 is out this Friday. Both have great reviews, although RTR seems to be a poorly optimized before the first patch (a 980 Ti doesn't crack 60fps at 1440p/Very High, and lows are down in the low forties, while my 290 needs to drop to Medium to get the same level). Either of those interesting to anyone here? I seem to remember that several of us liked both of the games they are sequels to.
Judging from the response this got, nobody is very interested, so I won't start a thread on RTR, but I'll post some quick observations. I got it, and its good. Very similar to the first game, although the linear stretch in the beginning is a bit longer. It starts out absurdly easy with "survivor instinct" (detective mode) showing you exactly what to do, but as soon as the game opens up a bit it settles down at a decent level. Combat against humans is trivial, combat against animals is actually quite hard, and the puzzles - especially the new challenge tombs, which are basically Riddler challenges but without that toxic color scheme - are interesting so far.

The performance issues appear somewhat overblown - my setup was auto-configured as High@1440p, and runs that very well. I have my usual tessellation hack in the driver active, maybe that is what does it, but in any case the game looks very pretty. The hud is very minimal, with no visible health bar at all, and the ammo count only showing up when you reload. The snowy Siberian wastes are a nice change of pace from the jungles last time.

All in all: If you liked the first game, this is just more of the same. If you didn't try the first but liked the earlier Assassin's Creed games (especially 2), and maybe the Arkham series, pick up the first one when it's on a sale next time. Not that you need it to understand this, but they're highly similar and the first one is old enough to be a steal by now.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2016, 10:15 AM

All in all: If you liked the first game, this is just more of the same. If you didn't try the first but liked the earlier Assassin's Creed games (especially 2), and maybe the Arkham series, pick up the first one when it's on a sale next time. Not that you need it to understand this, but they're highly similar and the first one is old enough to be a steal by now.
I played perhaps the first 20 minutes of the last one. While I heard good things about it, there have been far too many games in the last year that have consumed my attention. I keep planning to go back to it, but it's going to be a long time before I'm available since XCOM 2 releases this week. I never got into Tomb Raider in the original PS1 days, so the nostalgia factor isn't there to draw me in. It looks to be a combination of Uncharted and Far Cry, which doesn't sound bad at all.

On the XCOM front: Enemy Unknown/Within has become one of my top 5 games of all-time. I missed out on it originally, but it's so...freaking...good. I knew the series had a reputation for being tough, but I didn't realize that I should expect to lose some of my best soldiers. I kept loading old checkpoints, trying to come out of every mission perfectly until I realized, "That's XCOM, baby!" I was playing the game on easy, and somehow had my entire squad, active and otherwise, wiped out during the HQ invasion mission. It was a terrible feeling...and I loved it. I'm not the guy who plays games on hard mode, but something about XCOM's brutality is incredibly refreshing.

Also: the Ubisoft Humble Bundle looks like a good one:

$1 or more:
- Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (always wanted to try this)
- Grow Home
- Rayman: Origins (incredible platformer)

$7.71 or more:
- Far Cry 3
- Splinter Cell: Blacklist
- Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China
- (more coming soon)

$15 or more:
- Assassin's Creed: Rogue
- The Crew

$75 will include The Division, a T-shirt, and 66% off three select Ubisoft titles (excludes pre-orders, The Division, Rainbow 6 Siege, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, and Anno 2205).

P
Feb 4, 2016, 10:56 AM

Ubisoft frequently has massive sales on older games, and even when it is not sales, they're cheap in the Humble Store. I actually picked up Black Flag recently for €5, 10% going to charity, and am maybe 20% into it. Planned to pick up RTR later after the first patch, but there was a deal and I figured WTH.

I was never a big Tomb Raider fan. I liked the first two and played most of 3 before I got bored. These new ones are much more rewarding. I would never have tried the 2013 Tomb Raider if I hadn't got it for cheap or free somehow, I don't remember, but I'm very glad I played it.

P
Feb 7, 2016, 03:39 PM

Final post on RTR: It is quite short, I'm done with the main story at 17 hours. If you know who the lead writer is and a little about the background, you know pretty much where this is headed early on, but the story was never the big point to these games anyway. Controls are good, the game is polished, the characters actually appear human, and best of all it sets up an enemy that will be around for more games - a good thing, since Lara Croft's skills have advanced from "commando" to "Batman", and she will need a real enemy to keep it exciting.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Feb 7, 2016, 10:08 PM

Frozen Synapse: XXXAF-G4YHK-N7K9G

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Feb 7, 2016, 10:10 PM

The Last Federation: 3FQ7Q-RKCFZ-IG8H2

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Feb 7, 2016, 10:10 PM

DLC for The Last Federation: 2KN2T-0IRMB-22C60

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2016, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
The Last Federation: 3FQ7Q-RKCFZ-IG8H2
Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
DLC for The Last Federation: 2KN2T-0IRMB-22C60
Claimed. Thanks much!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2016, 07:10 PM

Alright fatty, here's a comeback win in R6 by yours truly. Second half of the match.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2016, 02:30 PM

Anybody doing the division open beta?

Also Bethesda announced their DKC and it sounds like sales convinced them to add more.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2016, 03:32 PM

Activision released an online only version of Black Ops III that is hilariously gimped. Great job guys!

P
Feb 17, 2016, 06:22 PM

It's an MP only version, which makes sense in a way, but you still need the "full" version for some things related to MP. I'm scratching my head as to why they're doing it. By all accounts CODBLOPS 3 sold very well again, despite much stiffer competition than the last two years, so why do it now? It is PC only as well, an effort to bring in more PC players now that everyone (except WB) wants our business again? Usage numbers on Steam are quite poor just now, about even with much narrower games such as EU4.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2016, 07:03 PM

I meant MP by online.

P
Feb 19, 2016, 06:08 AM

DICE Awards were last night, with most of the honors going to Fallout 4, Witcher 3, and Ori and the Blond Forest:
  • Game of the Year: Fallout 4
  • Action Game of the Year: Star Wars Battlefront
  • Fighting Game of the Year: Mortal Kombat
  • Family Game of the Year: Super Mario Maker
  • Mobile Game of the Year: Fallout Shelter
  • Outstanding Achievement in Character: Rise of the Tomb Raider - Lara Croft
  • Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition: Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design: Star Wars Battlefront
  • Outstanding Achievement in Story: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Outstanding Technical Achievement: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Outstanding Achievement in Animation: Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction: Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Role-Playing / Massively Multiplayer Game of the Year: Fallout 4
  • Strategy / Simulation Game of the Year: Heroes of the Storm
  • Sports Game of the Year: Rocket League
  • Racing Game of the Year: FORZA Motorsport 6
  • Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay: Rocket League
  • Handheld Game of the Year: Helldivers
  • Technical Impact Award: Microsoft Basic
  • Adventure Game of the Year: Metal Gear Solid 5
  • DICE Sprite Award: Rocket League
  • Outstanding Achievement in Game Design: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction: Fallout 4

So... Two winners from EA (both for Star Wars Battlefront, and the sound one must be a given if you have that soundtrack to pull from), none from Ubisoft, none from Activision, one from Blizzard, one from Nintendo (in a category almost designed for them), none from Sony. A lot of the big publishers struck out this year.
( Last edited by P; Feb 19, 2016 at 08:32 AM. )

P
Feb 19, 2016, 08:32 AM

No Assassin's Creed game this year, as Ubisoft claims that they want to overhaul a concept that has grown stale.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 19, 2016, 11:58 AM

the Blond Forest:
Sounds like something I'd be into.

P
Feb 19, 2016, 08:09 PM

Touché.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2016, 02:59 PM

No Assassin's Creed game this year, as Ubisoft claims that they want to overhaul a concept that has grown stale.
I can't imagine why they'd think that.

P
Feb 20, 2016, 06:55 PM

It grew stale with AC3, and the only thing that hid that was that Black Flag was fairly well received. I'm actually playing my way through that game now, and while it is well made and arguably massive in scope, there is nothing new in the core game. You can sail your ship and that's fun, but everything else is...yawn. In addition, the first games made a point of using historical periods that haven't been shown too often, but from AC3 and on they're revisiting historical settings we all know by now.

Rumors are that the next game will be based in Ancient Egypt. That isn't the worst idea I've seen.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 20, 2016, 07:01 PM

Ok, real talk about RPGs and guns. It doesn't work. Your bullets don't get more 'powerful' as you gain skill with a gun. You may get more accurate, faster, etc. but not more powerful. Conversely, you can not become more resistant to bullets. And factoring in equipment, you still can not achieve a level of protection where emptying an entire mag of bullets into someones head isn't enough to kill them.

Regular FPSs already suffer enough from creating difficulty by implementing bullet-sponginess, by The Division feels like a masterclass in how irrational it is when implementing RPG mechanics into something involving guns.

If a dev can come up with better mechanics for introducing difficulty into shooters, they may damn well win the world.

P
Feb 21, 2016, 06:18 AM

For consoles, just turn down the amount of aim assist. For mouse&keyboard, the mouse could shake while aiming. RTR does this if you hold the bow with the string tight for too long.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2016, 09:01 PM

Has anyone here managed to connect a PS4 controller to their Mac & had the trackpad work as a mouse?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2016, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Has anyone here managed to connect a PS4 controller to their Mac & had the trackpad work as a mouse?
All I could find was this: OS X - Dualshock 4 Touchpad Questions | MacRumors Forums

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2016, 07:02 PM

Games you're looking forward to in 2016?

Zelda-NX
The Last Guardian

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2016, 12:21 PM

So MS has some weird news going on with the X1...

Sony is bringing remote play to the PC and Mac!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2016, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Games you're looking forward to in 2016?

Zelda-NX
The Last Guardian
I'm assuming you think Zelda Wii U is going to pull a Twilight Princess and cover both consoles?

But yeah...
- Zelda
- No Man's Sky
- Overwatch
- Persona 5

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
So MS has some weird news going on with the X1...
The "upgradable hardware" news? I'm curious to know how they'd pull that off.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2016, 01:11 PM

I haven't read it all but the more exaggerated readings would indicate a partial merge between the PC and X1 platforms. I don't have time to suds it out. Maybe are has an article up.

P
Mar 1, 2016, 05:01 PM

Xbox as a service.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2016, 05:26 PM

My main cynical take was they were conceding the console game to Sony, which isn't great for consumers in the long run. Conversely, maybe their focus on converging PC and console could prove positive for both factions in 5 years.

P
Mar 1, 2016, 06:07 PM

I honestly think exactly what I said - Xbox as a service. Stream gameplay from a server farm somewhere to a computer, an iPad, $50 MS box, Apple TV (if Apple lets you connect a controller that will work well enough). I also think that Sony wants to go in the same direction (hence PlayStation TV) but that they will be slower to do so.

If this is the end game, MS best plan right now is to exploit their network services to gain a user base that they can then transition to the network service gradually. With that in mind, selling games on the PC only makes sense.

I also think that MS is getting sick and tired of being hated and is going on a bit of a charm offensive.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2016, 12:53 PM

I realize the trends of tech is to migrate to the server. But, IMHO:
-For high bandwidth needs such as 1080p video with 5.1 surround sound, i would prefer my local BluRay player to any streaming service out there.
-For time-critical needs such as gameplay, i would prefer a local solution as well. (As opposed to the onLive type thing).

If XBox as a service means something like Steam, that would be a great step for Microsoft. It decouples the success of "XBox" from their XBox hardware sales, and potentially gives devs access to a larger market.

P
Mar 2, 2016, 01:03 PM

I'm thinking an OnLive type thing. MS has been talking up how cost effective communication consoles are lately, and I think that that is the sales pitch here - cheap and good.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2016, 03:12 AM

No Man's Sky update:

The game is out in June on PC and PS4 (Wooo!)

The crafting system is a bit like Minecraft survival mode. You need to find and make materials to get anything other than the basics when you start.

As well as the wildlife on the planets that look like funny coloured leopards/birds/dinosaurs/something from Avatar, there are intelligent aliens in the game to trade with, attack, or whatever, and they have their own languages, which you can't understand when you first meet them.

It's still ridiculously massive.

You Can Do Much More Than Fly Around in No Man's Sky | Kotaku UK

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 8, 2016, 01:42 AM

Division servers went down 30 minutes after midnight launch. That's pathetic.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 8, 2016, 01:51 AM

Correction: Everything ubi related is going down, which indicates it might be an attack.

P
Mar 8, 2016, 05:19 AM

Or they launched a game. Or that it is Tuesday. Basically they're Ubisoft, their garbage goes down. Whenever there is a big sale on some older title that reviewed well (like one of the older AC titles going down to $5), all their PC servers go down so nobody can download what they bought.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 8, 2016, 10:34 AM

Ha at that last sentence. I've never heard that.

P
Mar 8, 2016, 11:30 AM

I buy about one Ubisoft game a year. I find something on a super sale or a bundle with some percentage of money going to sick puppies in Africa or something. I remember how they are, but I tell myself that they must have fixed it - "I haven't seen anyone complain about their broken garbage in a while now". And so I pay, and then I try to download and install. It NEVER works. First Uplay itself hasn't been updated in a year, because I haven't launched it, so updating fails (it assumes that you update at least weekly, and I never launch it). So I have to uninstall, and then find the right installer to download and install fresh. Once that is installed, it needs to update itself - of course. That is when I notice that some server is down, because it fails to download or loads so slowly. Eventually it gets installed, and I have to dig up some login I haven't used in a year. Then to activate the product and download - again an interminable wait, which I use to go through the Uplay settings with a fine-toothed comb to disable each and every element of game integration, because they always break something. Finally it is installed, and I launch - clicking through the complaints that I disabled all their integration features, trying in vain to skip the intro movies and logos, and manually fiddling with the settings to make the game look halfway decent (default is always Xbox 360 quality), until finally I get to the worst bit - unskippable tutorials. Every. Single. Time. Hey Ubi - I have played games before, and I know that I use the mouse to look around or the left analog stick to move or whatever. Please don't force me to go through that again. HOURS later I can finally get into the game, and get disappointed that it isn't very good. And so I feel like an idiot for bothering - again.

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2016, 09:38 AM

DICE Awards were last night, with most of the honors going to Fallout 4, Witcher 3, and Ori and the Blond Forest:
  • Sports Game of the Year: Rocket League
  • Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay: Rocket League
  • DICE Sprite Award: Rocket League

So... Two winners from EA (both for Star Wars Battlefront, and the sound one must be a given if you have that soundtrack to pull from), none from Ubisoft, none from Activision, one from Blizzard, one from Nintendo (in a category almost designed for them), none from Sony. A lot of the big publishers struck out this year.
Rocket League is my favorite game since a few weeks. I stopped playing everything else!
Anyone else here playing RL?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2016, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Rocket League is my favorite game since a few weeks. I stopped playing everything else!
Anyone else here playing RL?
Rocket League is crazy fun, half of the friends on my PSN list came from that game alone. At the height of its popularity we were getting 4v4 private matches and having an absolute blast.

I've only recently stopped playing it because I jumped in to Rainbow Six Seige with Dakar.

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2016, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Rocket League is crazy fun, half of the friends on my PSN list came from that game alone. At the height of its popularity we were getting 4v4 private matches and having an absolute blast.

I've only recently stopped playing it because I jumped in to Rainbow Six Seige with Dakar.
When was the height of its popularity?
I started playing in January when a friend "forced" me to buy it.
We then started 1v1 and after quite a few training matches switched to 2v2 as a team. Never played 3v3 or even 4v4!

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2016, 04:14 PM

I'm playing rocket league on the PC (using a PS4 controller), it's quite fun. I'm horrible though.

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2016, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I'm playing rocket league on the PC (using a PS4 controller), it's quite fun. I'm horrible though.
Same here. I play it with an XBox Controller though. Yesterday I was so terrible with my 2v2 friend that we were degraded by 3 divisions!

Forum Links
Forum Rules