Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 120)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 18, 2016, 12:56 PM

Current status:

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2016, 01:10 PM

Speaking of Doom...

Polygon uploaded a video called DOOM GAMEPLAY - The First Thirty Minutes. Long story short, it's gameplay footage from the guy who reviewed the title for the site, and it seems like he's never played a FPS before in his life. Actually, it's as if he's never handled dual analog sticks at all. It's the worst gameplay footage I've ever seen in my life.

Predictably, the Internet has been going crazy, but now the Gamergate crowd has come out in full force to criticize Polygon for giving the review to someone who clearly has no idea what they're doing. It's been a while (a year or so?), but all the old critics are still extremely salty.

Someone uploaded a video showing some of the lowlights, and now people are uploading parody videos: HEXAGON - FIRST 60 SECONDS OF DOOM - POLYGON PARODY. I know it's dumb, but I actually got a good laugh out of it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 18, 2016, 01:40 PM

Yeah NeoGAF had a thread about it too. Haven't looked into it but it does seem ridiculous.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 18, 2016, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Hahahaha

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 18, 2016, 04:01 PM

Oh god that music

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 23, 2016, 11:11 PM

Surprisingly only two people on my friends list playing this on launch. Maybe I'll see more people tomorrow night.

Only 17 min of downtime for Blizz's servers at launch. No noticeable hiccups until I got off.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2016, 02:35 PM

My retail copy of OW remembered my custom settings from the beta. I can't stop gushing over all the accoutrements this game has.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 25, 2016, 12:00 PM

I don't think it's supposed to work this way, but with a release day price drop to $49, Amazon is refunding me $11 on top of the $11 I saved with the 20% prime discount. So I snagged Overwatch for under $40. Very happy.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2016, 03:13 AM

Yeah, Amazon is aces for new games if you have Prime. (I like having the physical game, box, manual, etc.) The Collector's Edition of it is gorgeous, the Soldier 76 statuette is sitting on top of my PC right now.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 26, 2016, 09:51 AM

Hearing No Man's Sky will get delayed.

Huehuehue.gif

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2016, 12:19 PM

Blargargglag!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 26, 2016, 01:31 PM

Miss you

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2016, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Surprisingly only two people on my friends list playing this on launch. Maybe I'll see more people tomorrow night.
Has that number increased much over the last three days? I don't see a lot of people playing it on my friends list.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 26, 2016, 04:22 PM

Yeah four or five last night but two of the people were in big parties,

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2016, 04:33 PM

I've played solo the entire time so far. My hours have been jacked up. I've been on between midnight and 4 AM.

Who else bought it for PS4?

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2016, 05:02 PM

Miss you
First Amazon gives you the game for under 40 bucks, now the game I'm waiting for gets delayed.

So salty.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 26, 2016, 05:38 PM

Well it's not confirmed yet so there's hope.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 31, 2016, 10:55 AM

NMS delayed til August.

MS reportedly releasing a PS4k killer next year, tired of being second fiddle in power. This reeks of overkill. Signs the industry wants to move to a more phone like model with more common upgrades/revisions.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2016, 12:00 PM

NMS delayed til August.
I'm getting very, very worried about that game. Definitely a wait-and-see title for the first few weeks. I may even wait until the first big price drop to even consider it.

MS reportedly releasing a PS4k killer next year, tired of being second fiddle in power. This reeks of overkill. Signs the industry wants to move to a more phone like model with more common upgrades/revisions.
It's like they're stuck somewhere between consoles, PCs, and phones, but haven't quite figured out which model makes the most business sense.

If they go with the phone model, I hope they fall on their faces. They'll do the iOS thing and make sure a three-year-old model is a laggy mess in order to force upgrades.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2016, 02:30 PM

NMS delayed til August.
This information would have been greatly appreciated while Overwatch was still on sale on Amazon, I should send the devs death threats <checks interwebs> oh apparently everyone is already all over that.

If two months yields a better product I don't mind and if it has half the draw that Minecraft did I'll be happy.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 1, 2016, 02:47 PM

It's still $48 on Amazon, but you need to add it to the cart for the price to show up.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2016, 03:09 PM

There is a little box, below the regular price, that tells Prime members what a newly released game will cost on checkout.

"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2016, 03:36 PM

Looks like Overwatch did 7 mil. Not bad.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2016, 02:27 PM

Looks like Overwatch did 7 mil. Not bad.
I'd love to know the PC / console split.

P
Jun 10, 2016, 08:56 AM

Sony has confirmed that a new high-end PS4 is coming, codename "Neo". It will not replace the current model, but be sold alongside it. All games will support the standard model, and the majority will look better on the new one (so backwards compatibility is enforced). Won't be shown at E3 "because we want to ensure we have a full range of the best experiences" yadda yadda.

My read on this is that they know MS will show something, so they wanted to get out in front of that.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

P
Jun 10, 2016, 08:57 AM

Sony has confirmed that a new high-end PS4 is coming, codename "Neo". It will not replace the current model, but be sold alongside it. All games will support the standard model, and the majority will look better on the new one (so backwards compatibility is enforced). Won't be shown at E3 "because we want to ensure we have a full range of the best experiences" yadda yadda.

My read on this is that they know MS will show something, so they wanted to get out in front of that.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2016, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post

How much more expensive is what I'm waiting for.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2016, 10:16 AM

Still wondering what is the big selling point.

P
Jun 10, 2016, 10:18 AM

If they only update the SoC and use the 14mm GloFo/Samsung process, they would have a cost similar to what the PS4 had at launch. They could even make a model with small flash storage instead of an HDD and drop the price slightly. My guess is that they want to get it down to $400 again.

P
Jun 10, 2016, 10:19 AM

Still wondering what is the big selling point.
Prettier for VR. 4K video, maybe.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2016, 10:52 AM

I guess it makes sense if it's a loss leader for VR but otherwise I don't see the point.

P
Jun 10, 2016, 11:26 AM

Not sure it's a loss leader, at least not much of one. The kind of GPU they're talking about is the exact same thing that AMD is now going to sell for $199, to the consumer, including circuit board and video memory. CPU cores don't add that much to the size of the chip - if it is the same Jaguar core, 8 of them would be something like 12-14mm2 by my math, about 5% of the size of the chip.

I really think that the cost of the BOM for the new PS4 should be less than it was for the old one at launch.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2016, 12:27 PM

Loss leader probably wasn't the right term, but I'm struggling to classify it's positioning.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2016, 12:50 PM

Loss leader probably wasn't the right term, but I'm struggling to classify it's positioning.
I wonder if game sales on PC didn't spur this as well. I can't imagine that its just for VR + 4K stuff that they have to upgrade.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2016, 01:40 PM

Uncharted and DOOM beat out Overwatch in the May NPD.

Edit: Battleborn 4th.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2016, 01:56 PM

Uncharted and DOOM beat out Overwatch in the May NPD.

Edit: Battleborn 4th.
Doom and Overwatch round out the top three — although Overwatch probably sold a ton on PC through publisher Blizzard’s Battle.net, as the company said it had 7 million players a week in its first week. Also, it debuted much later in the month. It’s actually selling much more quickly than Doom on cosoles.

“Doom ranked second for May 2016 sales on a unit basis and had the best first month of sales for any game in the franchise when combining sales across platforms — exceeding sales of Doom 3’s launch on the PC in August 2004,” said Callahan. “Overwatch was the third best-selling game for May with only a few days on the market. When comparing Overwatch sales for days in the market, this title doubled the sales of Doom.”
From here : May 2016 NPD: Uncharted finds its fortune ahead of Doom, Overwatch | GamesBeat | Games | by Jeff Grubb

Be interesting to see June's figures.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2016, 08:18 PM

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2016, 09:46 AM

Microsoft at E3 or Apple WWDC. Who's watching what?

WWDC: WWDC 2016: Live stream, start time, and schedule for Apple’s big keynote | The Verge
Starting time: San Francisco: 10AM / New York: 1PM / London: 6PM / Berlin 7PM / Moscow: 8PM / Beijing: 1AM (June 14th) / Tokyo: 2AM (June 14th) / Sydney 3AM (June 14th).

Microsoft E3: Microsoft’s E3 2016 Xbox event: live stream, start time, and schedule | The Verge
Starting time: San Francisco: 9:30AM / New York: 12:30PM / London: 5:30PM / Moscow: 7:30PM / Beijing: 12:30AM (June 14) / Tokyo: 1:30AM (June 14) / Sydney: 2:30AM (June 14)

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 13, 2016, 10:17 AM

I missed the BF1 stream yesterday. Buzz seems positive.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 13, 2016, 11:49 AM

Titanfall 2 DLC to be free. Yep, this is where the industry is heading.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2016, 12:58 PM

Forza Horizon 3. Based in Australia. City, beach, outback. 4 player co op. Biggest car range of any Horizon game (demo showed the Ariel Nomad). 'Play Anywhere' Xbox and Windows 10 (A lot of games are going to have this cross platform Xbox/PC launch). September 27th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTSUgXkfooA

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 13, 2016, 01:57 PM

I need side by side comparisons but that X1 slim change seems absurd

P
Jun 13, 2016, 02:32 PM

"Scorpio" announced. 6TFLOPS graphics, 320 GB/s memory. Sounds a lot like AMD Polaris 10 (RX 480) with the memory bandwidth inflated by yet another eSRAM on the chip. Fast enough for VR though, I'll give them that.
( Last edited by P; Jun 13, 2016 at 04:27 PM. )

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2016, 03:44 PM

I need side by side comparisons but that X1 slim change seems absurd

Xbox One vs Xbox One S Size Comparison Image Revealed: Indeed Very Slim and Sleek

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 13, 2016, 04:11 PM

Thanks I googled with no luck. Not as small as they were implying but still significant. I'm guessing it's slightly smaller than a PS4 now

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2016, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Forza Horizon 3. Based in Australia. City, beach, outback. 4 player co op. Biggest car range of any Horizon game (demo showed the Ariel Nomad). 'Play Anywhere' Xbox and Windows 10 (A lot of games are going to have this cross platform Xbox/PC launch). September 27th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTSUgXkfooA
Love me some Forza Horizon. The rally add-on for Horizon 2 was excellent.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2016, 05:31 PM

Thanks I googled with no luck. Not as small as they were implying but still significant. I'm guessing it's slightly smaller than a PS4 now
I would say the size difference is quite significant considering the slim now has a built-in power supply. (No more large ass power brick.) I wonder how hot new X1 slim will run. My PS4 can kick out a ton of heat.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2016, 05:57 PM

LevelCap has some gameplay of BF 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iJVTHMZ6EY

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2016, 10:07 PM

Finally

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2016, 09:52 AM

Ugh... Whats with the funky shading model in Last Guardian, eh?

Forum Links
Forum Rules