Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 64)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 1, 2013, 10:50 AM

I'm sure the event had lots of Euro representation, but London is the heart of XBOX territory in Europe. Anecdotal but interesting none-the-less.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2013, 11:16 AM

Agree. Think there's a big Expo in Germany which dwarfs Eurogamer in London.

I got the impression that the UK was like the US in terms of console choice, and mainland Europe was ... different.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 1, 2013, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I got the impression that the UK was like the US in terms of console choice, and mainland Europe was ... different.
That's exactly the way I see it. If you were to remove the UK from Europe's lifetime console sales, the PS3 would likely be winning by a landslide.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2013, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that they do this and it makes headlines, but movies/television are completely ignored.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 1, 2013, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that they do this and it makes headlines, but movies/television are completely ignored.
I will give them this – video games are interactive. Is there a difference between watching a person get shot up and doing it yourself? Yes, there is, if the MW2 airport scene is any indication.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2013, 01:00 PM

So every semi realistic combat game is going to have to add 200hrs of classwork on the UTMJ an ROE or equivalent for the factions?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 1, 2013, 01:24 PM

GTA Online is suffering from the usual problems, of course. So is the ACA website. As much as people hate it, I don't think this types of debuts will change in the next decade.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2013, 03:41 PM

GTA Online is suffering from the usual problems, of course. So is the ACA website. As much as people hate it, I don't think this types of debuts will change in the next decade.
Open betas would solve the problem.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 1, 2013, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Open betas would solve the problem.
Not if the problem is "We don't want to build the server infrastructure required to manage the load of the initial brunt because 50% of the users will be gone by two weeks and that's a lot of money"

I'm beginning to see the problem as traffic during rush hour. At some point bigger roads isn't the answer.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 1, 2013, 03:44 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2013, 06:41 PM

Just now?

Shouldn't that have happened years ago?

P
Oct 2, 2013, 04:06 AM

European trademarks expire after five years if you don't use them. HL2 was a long time ago.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 2, 2013, 12:29 PM

Microsoft: “System processing” takes up 10 percent of Xbox One GPU time | Ars Technica
The Xbox One's ability to run up to four apps in the background (or on the side via Snap mode) during gameplay and to switch from a game to those apps almost instantaneously obviously comes at some cost to the system's maximum theoretical gaming performance. Now, thanks to an interview with Xbox technical fellow Andrew Goossen over at Digital Foundry we have some idea of the scale of that performance cost.

"Xbox One has a conservative 10 percent time-sliced reservation on the GPU for system processing," Goossen told the site. "This is used both for the GPGPU processing for Kinect and for the rendering of concurrent system content such as snap mode."

It's important to note that additional processing time for the next-generation Kinect sensor is included in that 10 percent number. Still, setting aside nearly a tenth of the GPU's processing time to support background execution of non-gaming apps is a bit surprising.
No PS4 numbers for comparison, but note this is the GPU, not CPU.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2013, 06:52 AM

Four apps!?! Why, so you can check Facebook while trying to get your next killstreak?

Just had a thought. Thats an app for the NSA, one for the FBI, one for the CIA and one for MS to be mining data while you're cruising around in Forza.

P
Oct 3, 2013, 07:30 AM

MS needs to understand that when you're in a hole, you need to stop digging.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2013, 07:34 AM

I can't wait for crimbo sales figures. Hopefully it'll force them to drop the price of a Xbox ONE by about 150€.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 3, 2013, 09:18 AM

I can't wait for crimbo sales figures. Hopefully it'll force them to drop the price of a Xbox ONE by about 150€.
They can't afford to drop the price. The best case scenario is they uncouple it from the kinect.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2013, 02:27 PM

Not if the problem is "We don't want to build the server infrastructure required to manage the load of the initial brunt because 50% of the users will be gone by two weeks and that's a lot of money"

I'm beginning to see the problem as traffic during rush hour. At some point bigger roads isn't the answer.
Yeah but in this case bigger roads (larger/more servers) is the answer.

If they stop making shitty games then they won't have the problem of everyone leaving after 2 weeks.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 3, 2013, 02:52 PM

Yeah but in this case bigger roads (larger/more servers) is the answer.
What I 'd really give for some tech-minded interviews with the people in charge with the industry.

If they stop making shitty games then they won't have the problem of everyone leaving after 2 weeks.
It doesn't matter how good the game is, there's always a huge drop-off from the initial demand. In single-player, even the best rated games have only a small percentage of people finishing them.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2013, 03:02 PM

Actually the answer is to use more static content on you web site so you can use a transparent caching proxy.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2013, 11:26 PM

They can't afford to drop the price. The best case scenario is they uncouple it from the kinect.
God I hope so!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2013, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Actually the answer is to use more static content on you web site so you can use a transparent caching proxy.
How does this help a game server?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2013, 03:32 AM

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2013, 10:55 AM

How does this help a game server?
The term website was used. The game server though depends on their protocol usually text vs binary.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2013, 01:05 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 4, 2013, 01:07 PM

Not enough to go back ATM, but in the coming years, probably.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2013, 12:12 PM

sek: If MS unbundled the kinect would you consider getting a One?
Me: At this point, not really.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2013, 01:03 PM

The new thread headline...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2013, 01:26 PM

The new thread headline...
You haven't been around but since people insist on calling it the xbone...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2013, 02:17 PM

sek: If MS unbundled the kinect would you consider getting a One?
Me: At this point, not really.
It would be a close heat for me but there are three important factors at play.

1. Faith in the build quality of the Xbox platform versus Playstation is no contest.
2. PS3 works far better as a media center than the 360, I can only imagine the same will be true next gen.
3. Girlfriend said she would pony up the extra cash for the X54 with Kinect so that negates cost at this point.

I'm not entirely writing the Xbox off but the only thing that still holds sway for it is familiarity with the platform and Xbox LIve. If it wasn't for the awful taste of all the crap they tried to pull at launch this might be a very different conversation.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2013, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
It would be a close heat for me but there are three important factors at play.

1. Faith in the build quality of the Xbox platform versus Playstation is no contest.
2. PS3 works far better as a media center than the 360, I can only imagine the same will be true next gen.
3. Girlfriend said she would pony up the extra cash for the X54 with Kinect so that negates cost at this point.

I'm not entirely writing the Xbox off but the only thing that still holds sway for it is familiarity with the platform and Xbox LIve. If it wasn't for the awful taste of all the crap they tried to pull at launch this might be a very different conversation.
Friends don't factor in? Where have they weighed in?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2013, 02:37 PM

Friends don't factor in? Where have they weighed in?
My friends do not game out with enough consistency to sway my opinion in either direction. If anything an endorsement by me may be enough to make up their minds for them.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2013, 02:40 PM

Just curious. Certainly my early adopter status has me leading the next gen charge for my crew. While price looms large in my decision, if MS were to take that away I think I'd still fall back on reliability and general attitude. They showed where they want to go this gen and I feel confident they will drag the One there eventually.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2013, 02:40 PM

BTW, I was thinking it'd only be fair if you picked up GTA V for XBOX if I pick up BF4 for xbox...

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2013, 03:01 PM

What about your crew Dakar? Will Subie, Euthyphro ect. follow you over to the PS4?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2013, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
What about your crew Dakar? Will Subie, Euthyphro ect. follow you over to the PS4?
Certainly my early adopter status has me leading the next gen charge for my crew.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2013, 03:14 PM

The only person that I played online with last generation that isn't planning on switching to PS4 is my brother-in-law, who I'm willing to bet won't be far behind. If that's the case, I'll probably never grab an XBox One. The only reason I ever picked up (sold, bought, sold, bought...) a 360 last generation was to play multiplayer with my family/friends and you guys.

The only thing that has given me pause in the build-up has been Titanfall. While it looks amazing, I can't see the wildly frenetic gameplay having the same kind of legs as other shooters. It's too hectic. It seems exhausting. [EDIT - And it will eventually come to PS4 anyways]

Anyways, I know you guys are multiplayer-centric, but for those who pick up Second Son in Q1 2014: you're going to love it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2013, 03:18 PM

Also, it looks like I'm going to be in Ontario when my PS4 arrives back home, so I guess I'll see you guys a few days late.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2013, 03:20 PM

Also, it looks like I'm going to be in Ontario when my PS4 arrives back home, so I guess I'll see you guys a few days late.
Please. I only recently considered getting the PS4 right at launch and amazon is fresh out. I'm sure I won't have one for a few weeks, at the earliest.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2013, 03:27 PM

Please. I only recently considered getting the PS4 right at launch and amazon is fresh out. I'm sure I won't have one for a few weeks, at the earliest.
I jumped on Amazon the second I read "$399."

I currently have FIFA and Battlefield pre-ordered, but I'm considering switching BF4 for Killzone.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 9, 2013, 07:44 PM

A chink in the PC couch gaming armor - Bioshock Infinite is terrible with a controller. The lag (time between stick movement and response onscreen) is awful and makes for horribly inaccurate shooting. I haven't seen lag this bad since I was using OnLive, and that had to send my commands halfway across the country.

I went ahead and installed the game on my iMac under OS X and it's actually quite decent, I'm impressed that a three year old machine (specifically a three year old Mac...) can still handle a new game this well. Though I guess the Radeon HD 5750 was top of the line back then for iMacs.

P
Oct 10, 2013, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Though I guess the Radeon HD 5750 was top of the line back then for iMacs.
It was, but that doesn't mean much - Apple has at times peaked at embarrassingly low GPU performance levels. No, what happens is:

a) The GPU is massively faster than either the Xbox 360 or PS3. If you make your game to the consoles, there is only so much you can do to make use of more power on a PC.
b) That particular GPU model (Juniper) is one of the most long-lived chips of recent years, and it is itself only a minor update of the RV770/Radeon 48x0 (which is what I have in my four year old iMac). Both of these chips sold extremely well, which makes them an important optimization target.

You really don't need a lot of GPU to game on a PC just now. The next-gen launch will eventually change that, but just now, even five year old GPUs work out fairly well.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 10, 2013, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
b) That particular GPU model (Juniper) is one of the most long-lived chips of recent years, and it is itself only a minor update of the RV770/Radeon 48x0 (which is what I have in my four year old iMac). Both of these chips sold extremely well, which makes them an important optimization target.
Interesting. It makes me glad that I spent so much time looking for this exact iMac. It's a 27" Lynnfield Core i7 that was only available as a BTO option at the time and included the 1GB 5750. They sell for less than the Sandy Bridge i5 models and still benchmark faster. They also have a spare SATA port on the board, so if I get the itch I can drop in an SSD and I'll be set for years.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2013, 11:57 AM

This was made for you jawbone: Battlefield 4 on PS4 and Xbox One: a Simulation of How it Should Look at 900p and 720p | DualShockers
Like I said, I'm happy with 720p if I'm getting 60fps.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2013, 12:19 PM

This was made for you jawbone: Battlefield 4 on PS4 and Xbox One: a Simulation of How it Should Look at 900p and 720p | DualShockers
Like I said, I'm happy with 720p if I'm getting 60fps.
I'm seeing very little difference between the two. The real takeaway is that Battlefield doesn't look like it's making much of a leap from current-gen to next-gen. Everything I've seen from BF4 for PS4/XBone looks underwhelming.

Meanwhile, Game Informer is saying that The Order: 1886 has "the most stunning in-game visuals we've ever seen."
http://www.computerandvideogames.com...VG-General-RSS

[EDIT] - A pretty cool link showing the shading technology for The Order: The Order: 1886 assets show next-gen engine’s chops | VG247

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2013, 12:26 PM

I'm seeing very little difference between the two. The real takeaway is that Battlefield doesn't look like it's making much of a leap from current-gen to next-gen. Everything I've seen from BF4 for PS4/XBone looks underwhelming.
It could be that absurd argument you'll hear from particularly dickish PC gamers where they complain consoles are holding PC gaming back. Certainly there must be logistic limitations on DICE's creativity knowing they have to back port to PS360. But that's every gen start. I'm sure BF5 will have some more noticeable refinements. In the meantime, I'm happy to entertain myself with the increased player counts.

P
Oct 10, 2013, 02:30 PM

It could be that absurd argument you'll hear from particularly dickish PC gamers where they complain consoles are holding PC gaming back.
You'll note that I made that argument 4 posts above yours - and I don't believe that is even up for discussion anymore. If you make a multiplatform game, the easiest thing is to code the shaders for the lowest common denominator. PC gamers can then increase the resolution, increase the AA and filtering, but that only gets you so far.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2013, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
You'll note that I made that argument 4 posts above yours - and I don't believe that is even up for discussion anymore. If you make a multiplatform game, the easiest thing is to code the shaders for the lowest common denominator. PC gamers can then increase the resolution, increase the AA and filtering, but that only gets you so far.
I don't tend to read technical discussion as I know nothing. But to split hairs, the problem isn't consoles, its general developer laziness. I mean, Crysis couldn't be done on consoles until it was. The reverse is true.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2013, 03:56 PM

Laziness? Maybe. Budget / time limitations? Probably.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2013, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Laziness? Maybe. Budget / time limitations? Probably.
They're interrelated. That's why we get buggy games.

Forum Links
Forum Rules