Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > bit torrents

bit torrents
cisco999
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2007, 12:23 AM

is it possible to download and watch bit torrents on a Mac.

Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2007, 12:25 AM

Yes.

Cold Warrior
Oct 20, 2007, 09:58 AM

yes. Azureus is good for downloading (others feel strongly about their BT app). VideoLAN Client is great for playing back just about anything. Quicktime with the Perian plug-in will also play a lot.

cisco999  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2007, 12:05 AM

Cold Warrior:

Thank you for your response and information. I am currently on vacation in the Philippines, but upon my return to the USA I will ask for assistance from the Mac Genius to employ your advise. It is much appreciated by me. When I asked about bit torrents at the Genius Bar before, they couldn't really tell me what you just did out of proprietary concerns I suppose. But with the information in hand, I feel confident I am on the path to success.

Cold Warrior
Oct 21, 2007, 12:10 AM

I'm certain the Mac genius knows about bittorrents. He probably just felt uneasy about telling you how to do it because the reputation of file sharing in general is one of piracy -- something corporate types and lawyers get emotional about.

Download Azureus or experiment with a few other Mac torrent clients and you should be on your way (apart from some router configuration, if necessary).

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2007, 05:14 AM

An Apple store clerk is like hell gonna give you official advice on how to do something illegal...

Don't blame him.
( Last edited by analogika; Oct 21, 2007 at 05:28 AM. )

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
An Apple store clerk is like hell gonna give you official advice on how to do something illegal...

Don't blame him.
There are many legitimate uses, too. Right now I'm downloading/seeding the newest Ubuntu CD via BitTorrent. But I wouldn't blame the employee either; He probably want to stay on the safe side.

Anyway, my search for a decent Mac BitTorrent app. led me to Transmission. It's a nice, very Mac-like app, and has a few more features than most Mac BitTorrent apps.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 07:50 AM

But do you find Transmission's performance to be on par with Azureus? I'd like to try Transmission but the downloads never seem to start. I assumed this might be because it is still blocked on some trackers.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2007, 08:04 AM

If you can post on a forum, i'm sure you can work out how to download a torrent.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2007, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post
There are many legitimate uses, too. Right now I'm downloading/seeding the newest Ubuntu CD via BitTorrent. But I wouldn't blame the employee either; He probably want to stay on the safe side.
well, if he comes up to the counter and says "can I download and watch bittorrents on my Mac", I think it's a safe assumption that he's not going to be looking for Ubuntu.

Apart from that, it's *sure* to be Apple policy not to discuss peer-to-peer software.

Reggie Fowler
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2007, 08:13 AM

the new version of Aquisition asks if you want to download the bit torrent application so you connect to the gnuella network. What's all that about?

zacharykrannert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2007, 10:59 AM

i like transmission. it works well. i have used azeurus for a long time before switching to transmission and dont feel any difference except transmission has a lot smaller footprint

Cold Warrior
Oct 21, 2007, 11:12 AM

does transmission support UPnP ? Azureus's implementation (and the one they say is for Apple Airport products) works on my Linksys WRT54G and my Airport Express. I don't have to enable port forwarding manually because UPnP works so well (for me).

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2007, 01:28 PM

Pretty much, Azureus if it has to work, period, and you want a ton of features. Transmission if you want a lightweight, beautiful client that's simple.

Both will download and be happy with just about anything you throw at it.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 21, 2007, 01:29 PM

Transmission is the best I've used.

cisco999  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2007, 09:13 AM

At no point did I have any bad feeling towards the Mac. Genius. Those guys have been super helpful with me and shown great patience which is necesssary when trying to show me something on a computer.

Thanks to all for the information

Forum Links
Forum Rules