Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Any word processors for the short and wide?

Any word processors for the short and wide?
miawj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2007, 05:49 PM

Are there any text editors out there that support a multiple columns wrap-to-window view? I'm getting sick and tired of changing my paper size to and from a customised foolscape landscape layout (and I hate not being able to resize windows when doing that kludge.)

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Nov 21, 2007, 06:14 PM

Well I am not sure if this what you are looking for but Pages in the iWork suite can do multicolumn view and whether its landscape or portrait it will stay the same. The window will automatically flip so you can see all the content.

miawj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2007, 09:13 PM

I can't see any way of making Pages have even a single column wrap to a window. When I choose two columns, the bottom third disappears off the bottom of the screen and the top of the second column follows on from copy I can not see. That is precisely the behaviour I'm trying to avoid.

I can't be the only word processor user on the planet who is occasionally stuck with only access to a screen that is 900 pixels high. I want to use more than one third of my screen to review copy. I don't want to read a single column of text that is 1350 pixels wide.

Cold Warrior
Nov 21, 2007, 09:25 PM

TextEdit will wrap to window.

miawj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 06:33 AM

TextEdit does not support multiple columns. I can use Word for a single column. I want window wrap with multiple columns or side by side pages that adjust to the size of the window, not the size of the paper.

I repeat - I want to make use of my whole screen, I don't want to scroll vertically and I don't want to read a single column of text that is the entire width of my screen. Is that really all that unusual?

Cold Warrior
Nov 22, 2007, 10:35 AM

ok, one more try

Word will let you view and work with two pages in a single window -- the entire width of your screen. It just has to be in Print page layout, not Normal. Open a new Word doc, expand your window to the entire screen, and choose Two Pages from the view/% size settings. If your screen is too narrow, it may not display, or display it well.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2007, 11:08 AM

Are you editing or just reading? I think for editing there is nothing exactly as you want (I don't know why not though, everyone runs widescreen now, but we're stuck in a world of vertical scrolling - just look at blog designs). Anyway, for just reading there is the great and free Tofu (be sure to download the latest beta at the bottom of the page).

miawj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 12:41 PM

Ah, yes, that's what I'm looking for (except in an editor.) Why can't [Warez2008 that may not be discussed here] feature useful stuff like this instead of all that pointless page layout and trashy template rubbish?

miawj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 01:08 PM

Thank you, Cold Warrior, but the Print view only works if you can squeeze a whole vertical page on to your screen. I can almost but not quite do that. If print view didn't include the margins, it would work but then it wouldn't function as a print preview And the view without margins (normal) only works with a single column.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2007, 01:31 PM

Pages can also display two pages next to each other. And not only in print preview, so you can freely choose the zoom factor to get two pages onto your screen.

miawj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 04:13 PM

The side-by-side pages in Pages only works with whole pages. There's not much point 'freely zooming' when you can't freely zoom the resolution of your screen. At a push, two pages with all menus turned off and a sidebar for styles could be used, but this still has the problem of the disparity between a sensible typeface for reading when printed and a sensible typeface for reading on-screen. I want to avoid having to change my font settings. I don't think scrunching my eyes at 10 pt text at 98% resolution for hours on end is a great idea.

I'm sure I can spend $115 on something more useful than a copy of iWork.

zro
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2007, 05:09 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules