Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > McCain scolds rabid right wing base

McCain scolds rabid right wing base
stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2008, 11:46 PM

At a rally today, he corrected a wingnut who said Obama was an Arab. He told the crowd that BHO was a good, decent family man. The crowd didn't buy it. At that moment, I finally felt proud to be an American!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2008, 11:50 PM

McCain is wrong.

Obama is NOT a decent Arab.
Heck, he's not even a decent Muslim.

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2008, 11:56 PM

I'm glad McCain has some backbone. That should win him some more moderate votes, but will lose him some of the wingnut vote.

I wonder who that wingnut is going to vote for now.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2008, 12:15 AM

PaperNotes
Oct 11, 2008, 05:16 AM

Now just need Obama (who was happy to take lots of money from Freddie and Fanny) to scold the far left.
( Last edited by PaperNotes; Jan 9, 2018 at 06:32 AM. )

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2008, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by MallyMal View Post
That's downright scary, seeing as how much ignorance there is. That ignorance is also becoming an issue in this campaign, as it's being pointed out more often how the "Joe six-pack" label, that people like Palin are saying they should be proud to be, is bringing to the fore the slow but sure collapse of our education systems, and values.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2008, 07:49 AM

:applause:

To McCain.

"Learn to swim"

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2008, 08:35 AM

Congratulations to McCain on this. There's the old Maverick back in form. I could be cynical and say the only reason he's doing it is that he knows it could hurt his campaign to have right wing nuts spouting inflammatory comments that end up being broadcast. But, we'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one ... that's the most presidential he's acted in a month.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2008, 08:35 AM

Your title sucks.

These people may be right-wing and perhaps one may find the term "rabid" to their liking…but they are in no way the "base".
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

tie
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2008, 08:36 AM

McCain is killing his own campaign. I don't know who advised him and Palin to center their campaign on racism but it isn't going to draw in new supporters. He has nothing to say about the economy, but instead keeps inciting these crowds. "Off with his head"? Disgusting.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

stumblinmike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2008, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Your title sucks.

These people may be right-wing and perhaps one may find the term "rabid" to their liking…but they are in no way the "base".
Wrong. Your party is the thing that sucks. It is in fact the base. You know who I mean..the fearful and ignorant who can't accept their parties complete failure, and are lashing out at anyone or anything that dares to challenge them. You know who I mean.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2008, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by stumblinmike View Post
Wrong. Your party is the thing that sucks. It is in fact the base. You know who I mean..the fearful and ignorant who can't accept their parties complete failure, and are lashing out at anyone or anything that dares to challenge them. You know who I mean.
Number one…they are not my party.

Number two…anyone who truly believes that these people are in fact the base of the Republican party is either "drinking the kool-aid" or is simply as big a moron as these people are.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

stumblinmike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2008, 09:01 AM

Number One: You could have fooled me!

Number Two: THEY ARE THE BASE!

Number Three: BHO will be your next President!!!

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2008, 09:04 AM

Number two…anyone who truly believes that these people are in fact the base of the Republican party is either "drinking the kool-aid" or is simply as big a moron as these people are.
I would agree they are not the "base" of the Republican party .... they are the fringe that McCain has, unfortunately, been compelled to flirt with in order to boost his support. He's also had to embrace the religious right that he formerly labelled as agents of intolerance. After commending him above, I do have to say one cynical thing about McCain's campaign: Lagging in the polls this summer, they pulled in Palin specifically to strengthen his support from these groups which, quite honestly, he never really cared for nor did they really care for him. If he could win without the support of these people, I believe he would prefer to do that but now he's stuck having to deal with them -- at once trying to appeal to them but at the same time trying to keep them on a leash so they don't undermine his mainstream support.

stumblinmike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2008, 09:08 AM

Pitbull with lipstick, right?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2008, 09:31 AM

Kudos to McCain. After watching that video, he'd have my vote (if I were American, of course). Shades of the original Maverick are starting to reemerge. Makes me wonder if he's gotten frustrated with having to sell out to the agents of intolerance.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2008, 10:07 AM

After watching the video, it becomes clear to everyone (expect the left wing nuts) that McCain understood exactly what the woman was saying: for her, Arab seemed to be synonymous with terrorist.

That's why McCain answered the way he did. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Edit: candidate name confusion. Idiot me.

-t
( Last edited by turtle777; Oct 11, 2008 at 01:28 PM. )

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2008, 10:11 AM

Couple of things here to address the virile hatred for anything resembling opposition to the Preferred Ideologyâ„¢;

The woman in the video is not indicative of a party or platform. She is indicative of a culture that employs no more depth in their views than the average bumper-sticker. Videos and idiots like these can be witnessed at any anti-war rally across our country. It is okay to depict Bush and Cheney as anything you want from Hitler to Osama, but how dare someone call Obama a terrorist or imply he's an Arab? Bush is a monkey. McCain is a racist, etc...

The fact of the matter is that as long as people like this older woman have a voice, there will be education. The minute you try to squelch it as it appears many here would appreciate, there are no corrections and no enlightenment. Let the applause of the remainder of this rally be the take-away, not the rantings of an uninformed zealot which you'd have to agree exist en masse throughout all schools of thought.

In other words, posters like stumblinmike need a voice for us to transcend the kind of stupidity we find so annoying.

While we're fighting each other, congress is in session passing laws you might find detestable.
ebuddy

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2008, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
After watching the video, it becomes clear to everyone (expect the left wing nuts) that Obama understood exactly what the woman was saying: for her, Arab seemed to be synonymous with terrorist.

That's why McCain answered the way he did. Nothing wrong with that at all.

-t
You meant to say "it becomes clear to everyone that *McCain* understood", right?

stumblinmike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2008, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Couple of things here to address the virile hatred for anything resembling opposition to the Preferred Ideologyâ„¢;

The woman in the video is not indicative of a party or platform. She is indicative of a culture that employs no more depth in their views than the average bumper-sticker. Videos and idiots like these can be witnessed at any anti-war rally across our country. It is okay to depict Bush and Cheney as anything you want from Hitler to Osama, but how dare someone call Obama a terrorist or imply he's an Arab? Bush is a monkey. McCain is a racist, etc...

The fact of the matter is that as long as people like this older woman have a voice, there will be education. The minute you try to squelch it as it appears many here would appreciate, there are no corrections and no enlightenment. Let the applause of the remainder of this rally be the take-away, not the rantings of an uninformed zealot which you'd have to agree exist en masse throughout all schools of thought.

In other words, posters like stumblinmike need a voice for us to transcend the kind of stupidity we find so annoying.

While we're fighting each other, congress is in session passing laws you might find detestable.
Very eloquent, mr. ebuddy, but totally false. The crowd was annoyed that McCain didn't run with this nice ladies words. The base is completely fired up with Ms Palin, that's why she was chosen. It wasn't because of her vast knowledge! McCain is TRYING to keep a lid on the boiling cauldron that he helped to heat up. As the MSM has said, the genie is out of the bottle. The absolute hatred of BOH cannot be surpressed by McCain or the MSM. The true colors of the right are exposed for the world to see! For shame!

tie
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2008, 11:35 AM

Who is the base, then? If it isn't you, then in this forum we are left with posters like stupendousman and Big "Hussein" Mac, who are certainly equivalent to the nutjobs that are so prominent at all the recent McCain/Palin rallies.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2008, 01:10 PM

Yeah, McCain did good with what he said. If McCain hasn't picked Palin as his VP, I wound't have as much of a problem with his ticket. Still wouldn't vote for him, but he seems like he can be a decent guy, cranky sometimes, but decent.

Its sad that people still go for this Arab/Muslim thing. I was listing to the radio this morning, and someone called in saying we shouldn't vote for Obama because he was Muslim. One of my friends is voting to McCain for the same reason. No matter what you say, you can't change their mind. Its crazy and sad.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2008, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
You meant to say "it becomes clear to everyone that *McCain* understood", right?
Well, duh, yes

Thanks.

-t

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2008, 04:56 PM

How do we know this wasn't a Dem plant. They manged to get credentials to the RNC
45/47

stumblinmike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2008, 05:37 PM

Who on this planet is brave enough to infiltrate a gang of hooligans as batsh*t as these? Certainly not a democrat!

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2008, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
How do we know this wasn't a Dem plant. They manged to get credentials to the RNC
Good point. But, if it was a Dem plant, it backfired on them. Fortunately, McCain was very non-Arab (aka "decent") about it all.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 10:17 AM

Very eloquent, mr. ebuddy, but totally false. The crowd was annoyed that McCain didn't run with this nice ladies words. The base is completely fired up with Ms Palin, that's why she was chosen. It wasn't because of her vast knowledge! McCain is TRYING to keep a lid on the boiling cauldron that he helped to heat up. As the MSM has said, the genie is out of the bottle. The absolute hatred of BOH cannot be surpressed by McCain or the MSM. The true colors of the right are exposed for the world to see! For shame!
Who says; "For shame!"??? Now I'm convinced this is a joke account.

Show me a poll that suggests Republicans are more apt to believe Obama is an arab than Democrats. I could easily take video at any one of the numerous anti-Iraq rallies around the country and show you the liberal "base" you seem so proud of. Of course, I don't believe the morons at McCain's rallies comprise the conservative base any more than you comprise the liberal base.
ebuddy

stumblinmike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2008, 06:00 PM

[QUOTE=ebuddy;3739947]Who says; "For shame!"??? Now I'm convinced this is a joke account.

Show me a poll that suggests Republicans are more apt to believe Obama is an arab than Democrats. I could easily take video at any one of the numerous anti-Iraq rallies around the country and show you the liberal "base" you seem so proud of. Of course, I don't believe the morons at McCain's rallies comprise the conservative base any more than you comprise the liberal base.[QUOTE] Stumblinmike says "for shame!!!" The liberal base that said "don't invade Iraq!" That liberal base? The liberal base that would like to see W and Cheney behind bars? That liberal base? Take some video for me, I would love to see their patriotism in action. Get their names and addresses too, so I can send them a thank you note. They have more patriotism in their little fingers than you hooligans do in your frenzied mobs! By the way, it was a pleasant surprise to see the hockey mom get the "warm welcome" when she was the guest of the Philidelphia Flyers owner on Saturday. The fans can spot a phony a mile away! It's pathetic that you can't.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 06:38 PM

Stumblinmike says "for shame!!!" The liberal base that said "don't invade Iraq!" That liberal base?
No. The liberal base that claimed we'd get eaten up by Saddam's elite guard.
The liberal base that claimed it'd be a blood bath at the polling places.
The liberal base that claimed the surge couldn't work.
The liberal base that remains curiously quiet during military action as long as there's a (D) behind it and opposes any liberal notions proposed by an (R).
The liberal base that trashes the environment at their peace rallies.
The liberal base quick to threaten pain upon those dissenting at their peace rallies.
The liberal base that throws things at people speaking out against illegal immigration.

The liberal base that would like to see W and Cheney behind bars?
In many cases for crimes committed during prior administrations right? Where was their call to arms then?

That liberal base?
Yes indeed. That liberal base.

Take some video for me, I would love to see their patriotism in action.
Like the ones who can't locate Iraq on a map?

Get their names and addresses too, so I can send them a thank you note.
I'd be afraid to do this. Should the next generation of Republicans oppose war, you might vandalize these peoples' homes.

They have more patriotism in their little fingers than you hooligans do in your frenzied mobs!
Hooligans? Frenzied mobs? You know, if you change it to Hoo Ligans and Frenzied Mobbs you might be able to register them to vote.

By the way, it was a pleasant surprise to see the hockey mom get the "warm welcome" when she was the guest of the Philidelphia Flyers owner on Saturday. The fans can spot a phony a mile away! It's pathetic that you can't.
They booed Santa Claus too. They don't like anyone who judges good kids from bad kids.
ebuddy

itistoday
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2008, 08:59 PM

Ah, I love these debates. It's like a long, drawn out game of chess. Pardon me while I cheer from the sidelines...

stumblinmike: My heart goes out to you, I'm with you and BHO!

ebuddy: As usual, your eloquent posts serve as a reminder to me and all the other liberals on this forum that intelligent conservatives do exist! I agree with you completely when you say that there are idiots on both sides of the isle, but unfortunately I think Sarah Palin fits into that camp as well.
( Last edited by itistoday; Oct 12, 2008 at 09:11 PM. )

finboy
Oct 12, 2008, 09:07 PM

The fact of the matter is that as long as people like this older woman have a voice, there will be education.
I think she was trying to say that he was a Muslim. When she went to school, that was a kind of fabric, certainly not someone running for president of the US.

This lady is no worse than the "George Bush is an idiot" crowd. Plenty of them out there, just as stupid and close-minded.

Fact is, some folks get their lies and propaganda from CNN and MSNBC (or Hollywood). Others get it from the watercooler crowd, or the folks down to the general store. Sheep will be sheep. The important part is that some of us aren't sheep.

stumblinmike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2008, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
I think she was trying to say that he was a Muslim. When she went to school, that was a kind of fabric, certainly not someone running for president of the US.

This lady is no worse than the "George Bush is an idiot" crowd. Plenty of them out there, just as stupid and close-minded.

Fact is, some folks get their lies and propaganda from CNN and MSNBC (or Hollywood). Others get it from the watercooler crowd, or the folks down to the general store. Sheep will be sheep. The important part is that some of us aren't sheep.
I believe it is universally accepted that George Bush IS an idiot. The FEW people who don't hold that view are the ones considered close-minded and stupid. Just so you know..

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2008, 01:59 AM

Wow, finboy's post followed by a perfect illustration of his point.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2008, 07:00 AM

I believe it is universally accepted that George Bush IS an idiot. The FEW people who don't hold that view are the ones considered close-minded and stupid. Just so you know..
He's not an idiot, but he's certainly in way over his head.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

red rocket
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2008, 07:24 AM

I pity the fools who are buying into that ‘McCain the Maverick’ story. The man is a shameless liar who changes his official positions on anything whenever it suits him.

http://www.counterpunch.org/stclair09042008.html

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2008, 07:35 AM

Here are the Progressive Left:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQalRPQ8stI
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

stumblinmike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Here are the Progressive Left:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQalRPQ8stI
What a lovely piece of propaganda! It was tough to watch the whole thing, but I did. The patriotic music, the mentioning of terrorists, all right wing staples. I didn't see any buckets of tar or featherbeds anywhere, however. I DID see some patriotic Americans expressing their free speech rights, without threats of violence. If the tough rightwingers can't take some jeering and finger raising, that's their problem. The crowd obviously feels that they have been given "the finger" by the current administration for the past eight years.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2008, 09:58 AM

So dense you don't even see your own double-standard. The Obama lemmings in the vid are just as vitriolic toward the McCain people as the McCain people were to the Obama people.

Cut back on the kool-aid just a bit....
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

stumblinmike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2008, 10:15 AM

They were marching in Manhattan! They were boo'd and flipped off! No threats of violence, no tar and feathering, no welcoming of Al Quada. The entire video is a poorly produced piece of dung that only a nitwit would accept as "fair and balanced"! BHO in '08!!!

itistoday
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
are just as vitriolic toward the McCain people as the McCain people were to the Obama people.
Jeers and boos are certainly the same as "off with his head!", "kill him!", "terrorist!". Yes.
( Last edited by itistoday; Oct 13, 2008 at 10:49 AM. )

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2008, 10:41 AM

OMG, boo's and the middle finger. The horror!!!

Check this out. Palin got boo'd. How dare they. Not just the boo's, but they gave her two thumbs down. Damn liberals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7TgDanmWkg
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2008, 11:54 AM

The liberal base that trashes the environment at their peace rallies.
after Woodstock 94 It took three weeks to clean up.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2008, 11:57 AM

I'll concede W is and idiot. That makes anyone who had a lower GPA than W did at Yale, or a lower score on the Officers Candidate test, a bigger idiot.
45/47

stumblinmike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I'll concede W is and idiot. That makes anyone who had a lower GPA than W did at Yale, or a lower score on the Officers Candidate test, a bigger idiot.
Now your just being silly! Everyone knows that it's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know!!! By the way, ABC NEWS (yeah, I know, MSM) reported today that 90% od Americans think that the country is headed the wrong way economically, and that Bushies disapproval rating is 72%! Both are new records. So, he isn't a blathering idiot, he's just a feckless idiot! My bad.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2008, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
Who is the base, then? If it isn't you, then in this forum we are left with posters like stupendousman and Big "Hussein" Mac, who are certainly equivalent to the nutjobs that are so prominent at all the recent McCain/Palin rallies.
I think that sometimes when people strongly identify with, and perhaps more importantly identify themselves as a certain group that they can get a little (or a lot) competitive. I personally don't think that ALL of them even 100% buy the arguments they are espousing. I think that a certain amount of the issues/accusations that you or others might find objectionable from the right on these forums are put forth in the spirit of trying to "defeat" their opposers. (and perhaps sometimes to irritate as well)

Yes, there are a couple of kooks too, but there are always kooks. On the other side there are people here who seemed to honestly equate Bush with Adolph Hitler and doubted that he would even give up his Presidency. There are those who think that 9/11 was an inside job and yet another who seems to think that aliens are invading the earth.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 06:54 AM

Now your just being silly! Everyone knows that it's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know!!!
Right. Of course everyone knows Yale has been in the business of handing out degrees to conservatives for decades.

By the way, ABC NEWS (yeah, I know, MSM) reported today that 90% od Americans think that the country is headed the wrong way economically, and that Bushies disapproval rating is 72%! Both are new records. So, he isn't a blathering idiot, he's just a feckless idiot! My bad.
Interestingly, congress has not received higher than a 15% approval rating since the beginning of 2007, but let's focus on the idiot shall we? This is the same idiot who orchestrated the most major attack on his own country since Pearl Harbor. The idiot who hoodwinked over 70% of the House and Senate into signing off on the Iraq War resolution right? After they get what they need from wiretapping, eavesdropping, and torture we should give them our health care system and carbon credits too.

Your Progressive movement ladies and gentlemen; able to design disgusting t-shirts, unable to reconcile one view with another. BTW, it's Al Qaeda, not Al Quada.

I'm ebuddy and I approve this message.
ebuddy

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 09:16 AM

Right. Of course everyone knows Yale has been in the business of handing out degrees to conservatives for decades.
Conservatives? I thought it was just anyone with enough money and/or influence?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2008, 10:53 AM

That must be how Jodie Foster got into Yale
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2008, 12:44 PM

When will BO scold his rabid left wing base? At a recent Palin appearance, BO supporters showed up wearing t-shirts, four are pictured below.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...nti-palin.html

online store selling said t shirts http://www.crucialbrutal.com/index.php (select online store) http://www.crucialbrutal.com/site_im...n_overseas.jpg
( Last edited by Chongo; Oct 14, 2008 at 12:52 PM. )
45/47

finboy
Oct 14, 2008, 01:27 PM

Everyone knows that it's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know!!!
Who you know like Bill Ayers and Jeremiah Wright? That kind of "who you know"?

By the way, some of you guys on the correct side here are mis-identifying the liberal base. The liberal base isn't George Soros, but they let him be their mouthpiece. The real liberal base isn't the bunch wearing those loverly Sarah Palin shirts, but instead are the crunchy granola-eating sheep out there who let that kind of thing take place. At least conservatives have the cajones to call out the far right nuts and tell them to STFU on a regular basis.

Despite the best efforts to convince us to the contrary, the conservative movement has never been defined by the far right (or outrageously religious or anti-abortion) kooks. But that's a useful construction for instilling fear and putting a face on the enemy. Saul Alinksy would be proud.

Forum Links
Forum Rules