Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Any news on Miraikane bbxstudio?

Any news on Miraikane bbxstudio?
sandman
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2003, 03:13 PM

Well.. its been a while so I figured I'd throw some fuel on the fire.
sandman
17" PowerBook/OS X.4.2/60GB/1G/Airport Express/iPod 20GB (Click Wheel)

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 04:55 PM

I was meaning to post a topic like this too. I'd hate it to be released after Panther's out, cause I won't be able to use it. At least, if I can somehow get my hands on a dev build anyway

EDIT: And by panther, I mean come monday, at WWDC.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2003, 06:08 PM

While this is probably the sort of topic that would best be addressed by sending a private message or email my way (I hate flooding the board with this stuff, I always get blamed for 'hyping' the thing - by this point it'll never live up to the expectations of many people), I guess I do owe some sort of measured response given all of the non-intentional hype. Here's the rundown:

The name is now Mirai - Mirakane doesn't seem to roll of the English-speaking tongue very well (although being bilingual English/Japanese like every theme from here on in will be, the Japanese name and characters in the logo still read Miraikane - mee-ra-ee-kah-nay , or futuremetal). The theme itself has gone through no less than 20 seperate color and surfacing shifts resulting in at least 80 photoshop compositions and about 30 theme builds (not all of them complete, mind you) spanning the past 18 months... to put it mildly, I'm going insane and want nothing more than to get it done and finished and the hell out of the way so I can go through the same insanity on the next idea (Utopia, or Miraiyume in Japanese, for futuredream - all white with a fascist genetic-engineering theme running throughout, this one is already partly designed and will go faster than Mirai for a number of reasons). The most recent setbacks to Mirai are a new baby boy (one week old yesterday) and what could be another global rejig of the vertical bevels (ah, the joys of being a perfectionist).

Visually, the overall look is done in super-realistic injected aluminum (or die-cast metal depending on your imagination) body panels with black rubber seals and dividers. The aluminum never 'transmogrifies' or changes color (nor does it go transparent), instead different 'states' are indicated by physical indenting and subsurface LED indicators that light up. There is zero bubbled glass or plastic, in fact most of the 'extras' like icon symbols are handled with almost 2D 'glyphs'. Icons do not sit like projected isometric objects like they do in most themes, but rather hover like metal badges parallell to the desktop surface. It's supposed to look like a futuristic concept car-inspired but minimalistic physical interface... that's the idea, anyways. Ultimately I want it to look as unlike Aqua as I possibly can... so far, so good.

It's one of these things whereby I've looked at it for so long that I often need to step away for awhile and come back to it with a fresh eye - once that fresh glance says 'eureka' it'll motor right along (forget the fact that I've had 5 seperate 'eurekas' and as a result have redesigned the logo and iTunes remote 5 seperate times to varying degree). Never intended for it to take so freaking long and should have kept my fat mouth shut until it was 99% finished, but live and learn I guess. If it were OS9 or XP I was skinning for I would have had 4 complete kits out by now (I've already designed 8 media player skins in the time it's taken me on this theme) - just so many pitfalls and limitations with OSX that a single compromise cascades across the whole design. Brutal stuff. Having said that, if this one doesn't kill me I'll be so familiar with what I can and cannot do in OSX by the time it's finished that I'll be a seasoned pro and will probably spit out new OSX theme designs with the same frequency that I do other skins.

I never show previews or release anything until I'm 100% happy with it or simply so exasperated that I no longer care. Neither has happened yet so it's anybody's guess when it'll be released, Believe me, I want it out of my system a thousand times more than anybody wants to play with it. So in the meantime, all I can say is relax - it's coming along, I'm feeling good about it and you will see it before the summer's out (if it kills me).
( Last edited by bbxstudio; Jun 19, 2003 at 06:17 PM. )

sandman  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2003, 06:30 PM

All I can say is thanks bbx, wonderful post even though it just made me that much more thirsty for the theme.
sandman
17" PowerBook/OS X.4.2/60GB/1G/Airport Express/iPod 20GB (Click Wheel)

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2003, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by sandman:
4 Cube 500/OS X.2.4/30GB/384MB/Ext. CDRW/SoundSticks
Man, you've got a cube! Awesome... I wish they'd kept it in the product lineup, it's a beautiful thing. I was going to pick up a used one but they still demand way too much money for them (collectibility I guess). Have you figured out if you can get your iSub apart? - mine is full of dust and cat hair and I want to clean it out.

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2003, 07:11 PM

**drool** Sounds amazing! Realy anxious to see it.
Congrats on the baby!

Oh, and don't worry about the hype. We wanted it!

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 07:15 PM

Before.. summer's out? Sorry to sound disappointed, but that could be end of August!!

BBX, show me a preview screenshot and I will promise to not bug you again, ever, until it's released. That's all I want. (And I know you're not going to comply). Ahh well.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 08:13 PM

bbxstudio: Congratulations on your new-born son. You must be very proud.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 08:32 PM

Ah yes, mustn't forget where the real news is... congrats.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2003, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
bbxstudio: Congratulations on your new-born son. You must be very proud.
Thanks! I am very proud - he looks just like his daddy

And Phillryu - you'll be the first, don't worry (a guy can only handle so much begging after all).

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 08:35 PM

So it's got unfinished betas? It would be a cool bonus to have a few of the more complete ones bundled with the final. I know you're a perfectionist, but I bet they are a lot better than most of the OSX themes out now. I'd be very interested in seeing the first design and compare it to the final.
Oh are you doing the skull as the trash-can again? I loved that.

You're Utopia or "Miraiyume" theme sounds sweet also.

Heck I just might donate a few bucks if I use you're new theme as my default. (more than likely)

Hay you'll have to teach you're kid how to design themes for Mac OS 11 or 12. lol
click one

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2003, 04:35 PM

ohhhhh this has the potential to be something original and great an actual futuristic theme without "OMFG GR33N AND 8lAK"

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2003, 05:48 PM

Yay! So the begging finally paid off!

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 11:49 PM

What ever happened to this theme from the Bart man?
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

esXXI
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by MacDog:
What ever happened to this theme from the Bart man?
I heard it was the base for BBX's Alienware PC theme. Killing any chance of release.

Mike S.
Senior User
Oct 29, 2004, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by esXXI:
I heard it was the base for BBX's Alienware PC theme. Killing any chance of release.
I seem to recall Mirai being something like metal with rubber seals and japanese glyphs. Alienware doesn't strike me as fitting that description but it has been a long time...

Audi TT meets something or other was how BBX described it.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 01:23 AM

Its been what, a year and a half since he posted that? Guys, I highly doubt hes really gonna keep going with this, even assuming he still has the Photoshop mockups and files still on his computer. Its sad to see a theme be abandoned, but really get over it. BBX has a lot on his plate right now Im sure.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

eme
Oct 29, 2004, 02:50 AM

forget what i wrote i was totally out. i had been all night writingassembly language for a school project, andwas kind of out of touch with reality for a moment...
( Last edited by eme; Oct 29, 2004 at 08:10 PM. )

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2004, 08:04 AM

Originally posted by eme:
good to see you posting again about it... im glad you sound so enthusiastic about your theme, it'll sure be something different if not espectacular... i'm sure all of these gui community will and is looking forward to it...

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2004, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Holigen:
but really get over it. BBX has a lot on his plate right now Im sure.
Hey I got an idea... howsabout you turn your teeth around and bite your throat!

The only thing worse than the constant "where's Omega" posts are people like you who for some reason believe they have been appointed guardians of the GUI forum, and feel the need to appear on the rational and informed side of a BBX-related discussion that they themselves WISH they had any clue about.

In short, it was a simple, innocent question. You obviously don't have a factual answer, so why don't you just STFU, instead of belittling people.
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 12:29 PM

Its been what, a year and a half since he posted that? Guys, I highly doubt hes really gonna keep going with this, even assuming he still has the Photoshop mockups and files still on his computer. Its sad to see a theme be abandoned, but really get over it. BBX has a lot on his plate right now Im sure.
i'm sure you're also giong to say hes stopped work on OMEGA too?

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 29, 2004, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:

BBX, show me a preview screenshot and I will promise to not bug you again, ever, until it's released. That's all I want. (And I know you're not going to comply). Ahh well.
I wouldn't do it if I was him. Too many disrespectful punks too eager to steal other people's work and call it their own just to get some of the limelight.

Same reason I quit theming.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2004, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I wouldn't do it if I was him. Too many disrespectful punks too eager to steal other people's work and call it their own just to get some of the limelight.

Sounds like someone is bitter

Komisar
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 05:39 PM

GIVE THE GUY A BREAK LET HIM DEAL WITH OTHER THINGS.... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LEAVE THE MAN ALONE!

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2004, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
GIVE THE GUY A BREAK LET HIM DEAL WITH OTHER THINGS.... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LEAVE THE MAN ALONE!
lol!
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

Holigen
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by MacDog:
Hey I got an idea... howsabout you turn your teeth around and bite your throat!

The only thing worse than the constant "where's Omega" posts are people like you who for some reason believe they have been appointed guardians of the GUI forum, and feel the need to appear on the rational and informed side of a BBX-related discussion that they themselves WISH they had any clue about.

In short, it was a simple, innocent question. You obviously don't have a factual answer, so why don't you just STFU, instead of belittling people.
So going around and flaming people is a much better way to respond to a thread like this? Right...

It wasnt a simple question either, as BBX had posted this huge long essay in response to it.

If you feel belittled by what I (an anonymous person) say to another in a forum like this, well then Im sorry but you have deeper problems than what is surfacing here. I suggest that you maybe shell out a couple hundred bucks a month for a good psychiatrist.

All kidding aside however, I feel that it I can respond to a thread in that manner because this is a public forum. Maybe I dont know much about Mirai and BBX himself, but Im not trying to act like a "guardian of the GUI forum" or whatever your pubescent mind came up with.

This kind of thing drives so many people away from here. Little kids telling people who have been here for a while (I wont use veterans, you might get upset) that they should be quiet and sit down.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Blacktiger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2004, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

Dude... Phill is cool and he never discloses information that he isn't supposed to. (Although he does give out hints sometime...) Besided, Phill has the credibility of being one of the guys responsible for www.macthemes.net.
--
Concentrate on the solution, not the
problem.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by Blacktiger:
Dude... Phill is cool and he never discloses information that he isn't supposed to. (Although he does give out hints sometime...)

this thread is over a year old, so stop getting your panties in a twist you guys

Holigen
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by fireside:

this thread is over a year old, so stop getting your panties in a twist you guys
Thongs dont get in a "twist"

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 07:41 PM

lol too true... I was wondering why this was back.
click one

esXXI
Senior User
Oct 29, 2004, 07:44 PM

Ye gods, me agreeing with fireside. Did anyone else feel that cold chill?

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 08:48 PM

Ye gods, me agreeing with fireside. Did anyone else feel that cold chill?
no, but i am feeling a warm one.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 08:57 PM

And its ended with the brilliant remark of a warm chill.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 09:20 PM

And its ended with the brilliant remark of a warm chill.
i guess that flew over your head, since all chills are cold.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 09:37 PM

A cold chill still makes more sense than a warm one

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 09:45 PM

i was being sarcastic, because there is no such thing as a warm chill, therefor, all chills are cold, and esXXI was being redundant.

hows that thong fitting?

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2004, 09:56 PM

I just like how zim tried to hijack the thread to bring up his own thing, hehe.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 11:05 PM

esXXI
Senior User
Oct 29, 2004, 11:31 PM

i was being sarcastic, because there is no such thing as a warm chill, therefor, all chills are cold, and esXXI was being redundant.

hows that thong fitting?
Ooh handbags ladies.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 11:45 PM

Ooh handbags ladies.

did you just finish making the back button for safari and are waiting for themepark to export so you can send out the latest beta before you start on the forward button?

Holigen
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 11:53 PM

This is a funny thread...

Mike S.
Senior User
Oct 30, 2004, 03:32 AM

Originally posted by Komisar:
Are you kidding?

This is a message board; it's not like we're calling his house, sending him Emails or flooding him with letters and/or faxes.

If he wants to be "left alone" he can choose not to click his mouse and see these comments; in other words all of this is opt-in. You can't get much more left alone than having to take a specific action just to see the annoying stuff.

This thread was dug back up because he indicated that if he can't hardcode the things that SS2 still doesn't allow into Omega he'd look into (and that's not a guarantee or promise so don't get your hopes up folks) getting one of his other themes out.

I brought up Mirai as a contender for that release should it happen since it's something I remember looking forward to well before there was an Omega so I assumed that it didn't require as many features and thus might be releasable. Shortly after that this thread re-appeared so I guess I jogged someone's memory.

If BBX is reading this then let me just say that no pressure was intended if that's how you saw it.

He seems like a reasonable sort so I doubt he saw it that way.

esXXI
Senior User
Oct 30, 2004, 05:59 AM

did you just finish making the back button for safari and are waiting for themepark to export so you can send out the latest beta before you start on the forward button?
No need to be bitter just 'cause you're missin' all the fun laddie.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 30, 2004, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Tick:
Sounds like someone is bitter
Yup. When you spend 5 to 6 months on a theme only to have some hack rip it and call it their own in a week, one does get a little bitter.

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2004, 12:20 PM

Oh great, this is going to turn into a fun and helpful thread.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2004, 12:41 AM

No need to be bitter just 'cause you're missin' all the fun laddie.
what fun? i think your theme is full on inconstancies and is ugly. i thought that when i was on the beta team after using it for a while.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 02:51 AM

Originally posted by Stuphalina:
Oh great, this is going to turn into a fun and helpful thread.
So what have I been missing out on here? (that said while my life continues for the worst)

Komisar
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 08:17 AM

Back through popular demand:

esXXI
Senior User
Nov 1, 2004, 10:00 AM

what fun? i think your theme is full on inconstancies and is ugly. i thought that when i was on the beta team after using it for a while.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2004, 10:13 AM

oh please close this thread already.... or send it to the lounge or something...

Forum Links
Forum Rules