Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > WOW... new 12in powerbook

WOW... new 12in powerbook
mangotango
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 09:48 PM

Just received my new baby.... WOW this thing is great!
Not too difficult being a switcher, other than exporting emails from outlook express to entourage. A bit of a pain in the ass, having to go thru an imap server was the only solution I came up with. I went with the 256 megs of ram and jumped on the 1gig stick from outpost. computer is a little doggy right now. anyway... no regrets at all.

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Sep 1, 2004, 10:40 PM

congrats! mine, an old rev B, has been a real workhorse for me with no issues at all.

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2004, 10:43 PM

awesome! congrats to you!
-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2004, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by mangotango:
Just received my new baby.... WOW this thing is great!
Not too difficult being a switcher, other than exporting emails from outlook express to entourage. A bit of a pain in the ass, having to go thru an imap server was the only solution I came up with. I went with the 256 megs of ram and jumped on the 1gig stick from outpost. computer is a little doggy right now. anyway... no regrets at all.
Apple's built in Mail program can access Exchange servers. You might want to give that a whirl instead of Entourage or Outlook.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dr.Michael
Sep 2, 2004, 03:12 AM

computer is a little doggy right now. anyway... no regrets at all.
You will see that Powerbooks remain a little doggy compared to windows/linux systems - whatever you do with RAM. But the advantage of the operating system and the overall useful design of the powerbooks is more than worth it.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 04:12 AM

my buddy just picked up a powerbook today too with 1gb ram coming in .. was doggy .. but i was used to 768 which ran smooth .. guess i forgot how laggy 256 might make it .. but then it could be his downloading of approx 20 software updates. no dead/stuck pixels .. seems he's happy happy =P .. now we're gonna hafta show you the secret handshake

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

mangotango  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2004, 11:21 AM

I am sure the 1gig stick will improve things tremendously. First thing after receiving my powerbook i checked for dead pixels, to my pleasure everything is perfect. small deal but it would have bugged me.
Fortunately I had access to our local imap server, however I would have thought that Apple had an import utility for us switchers. Maybe not for ms entourage but certainly their email proggy. It was a long process of moving email (lots of old email, multiple accounts) and I also managed to lose several messages.
My battery has been cycled a couple of times now. Can i just leave the battery in while connected to AC. Also, no wpa support for airport...

cambro
Senior User
Sep 2, 2004, 12:29 PM

My cousin just ordered his first mac...a 12" powerbook. I can't wait to check it out.

I gather from this thread that extra RAM makes a difference. Shocking!!

phantomac
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2004, 12:43 PM

Can i just leave the battery in while connected to AC. Also, no wpa support for airport... [/B]
Yes, once the battery is fully charged the PSU only serves as a PSU. It starts loading again when the battery drops below a 95% charge.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 05:00 PM

got my new 12" today with airport express. Man I love it. Its going to take a while to get used to the small screen (from my 17 iMac) and transfering files over was a breeze!! Now my PB is EXACTLY like my iMac was. Thank you apple for that huge gift!!!!

posting from my bedroom is really cool.

I'm very happy

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 07:16 PM

hehe you tellin me .. preaching the the choir =P .. congrats .. hope you love the powerbook as much as the rest of us!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 09:10 PM

So i guess i shouldn't wait anymore? Been contimplating a powerbook 12 inch totally maxed out for a while and wanted to wait for the next rev.... but 3 or 4 months isn't worth it.. Is it?

Dr.Michael
Sep 3, 2004, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by Komisar:
So i guess i shouldn't wait anymore? Been contimplating a powerbook 12 inch totally maxed out for a while and wanted to wait for the next rev.... but 3 or 4 months isn't worth it.. Is it?
No, not necessary to wait. I have a 1GHz for almost a year now. Its still - great, simply great.

mangotango  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2004, 03:50 PM

Well, have ny extra 1 gig stick installed. Notice a big difference. Maybe now I will have to start actualy doing some work on my new baby. On a side not, installed launchbar . Cool little program...!

an0therdumbsn
Sep 3, 2004, 03:55 PM

Yeah i got a 15 inch and i absolutly love it, i hate having to go back and use my dell desktop every now and then but that will soon be replaced by the new imac g5.
Ive been just using the powerbook for messing around all summer but now college is back up its being put to actual work and boy does it perform. Its the little extras that actually work that make the pb and osx just so freaking nice to use.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 05:22 PM

I'm posting from my 12"

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 05:36 PM

Congrats on the 12 inch. I'm hoping to get one in 3 years when I need the ultra portability!
iamwhor3hay

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 10:22 PM

Also, no wpa support for airport...
Not true. I have my AirPort Extreme basestation and my 12" PB set for WPA Personal security. Works fine.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 10:43 PM

Definitely does. Just make sure you've got your Airport software updated to the latest. Works great with my Linksys WRT54G...

Also, no wpa support for airport...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Forum Links
Forum Rules