Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Need USB Pen Drive Recommendation

Need USB Pen Drive Recommendation
BLeonard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2003, 09:23 AM

Since they have gotten so cheap and everyone else seems to have one I decided I'd buy a USB Pen drive for my Macs. I started looking and I was amazed at how many different models there are out there.

For those of you who own them can you recommend a particular model? I'm probably looking to go 128MB. I've also noticed that some are USB 2.0. Will these work ok with USB 1 native to the Mac and if so would there be an advantage to buying a USB 2 drive instead of a 1?

I guess I'm looking for small size, durability, and easy to carry around ( a clip or key chain attachment might be nice). Also since I would probably plug it into the unused usb port on my keyboard it should easily plug in there without obstruction.

Tom Campbell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2003, 01:03 PM

I have a lexar 128 and it works great. It only needed a driver when I took it to a windozes machine still on 98 se. Good way of transfering files too big for floppy and too small for a cd. Its 1.1 and fast enough. Put video and audio and word files on it just fine. It has a key ring attachment on it too. Good price but dont counton any rebates going through. I'm still waiting on mine still , happy over all.

edit: oops i dunno why ityped lexmark.. i Meant Lexar! D-OH!
( Last edited by Tom Campbell; Jun 18, 2003 at 04:37 PM. )

slider
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2003, 01:11 PM

I can recommend www.diskonkey.com I have one of the older models, and the newer ones are smaller and supposedly faster; the pro's.

n_lim
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2003, 02:26 PM

I have a lexar jumpdrive, one of the more popular pendrives and one that usually has a rebate going. Mine is a 128, trouble free, use it almost everyday in my architecture studio to transfer files from my mac or home pc to the school plotters. Terrifically handy. I also have it on my keychain. Mine is also a usb 2.0 compliant model and have had no problems using it on any 1.0 ports. The only caveats are that I have had problems using it on Windows 98 (need a driver, but don't know which one) and that some usb ports aren't that easily accessed because the neck of the jumpdrive "flutes" out a bit. Other than that I think everyone should have one, they are getting really cheap, paid about $20 for mine after receiving the rebate.

enjoy!
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

BLeonard  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2003, 02:28 PM

Anyone use the Supertalent 2.0 model offered at meritline.com? The 128MB model is only $36. It looks like it comes in several colors but it doesn't look like you get to choose when you order.

All the good reports I'm hearing about diskonkey, Lexar, and USBDrive are all pretty expensive in the 128MB range.

I was hoping to spend less.

Tom Campbell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2003, 04:53 PM

hmm well if you search for the usb drives on their site its pretty easy

http:/www.digitalfilm.com/

And as far as expene... mm the package says equal to 88 floppies. at even 50 cents apiece thats still $44. Or lets say you use it in place of a cd for files bigger than a floppy yet smaller than a cd, thats what $30? for mayby 50 cd's? plud the size and wastless ness factor is a plus and frankly i believe it to be more duarble than either former mention media type. add in the convince.. how can one not be worth $30? come on you know you wnat one... comeon peer pressure peer pressure!

Disclaimer: i do not sell usb drivesoranyhting of the like for that matter. actually i dont sell anything.

Forum Links
Forum Rules