Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Popcorn from Roxio

Popcorn from Roxio (Page 2)
mrbass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2005, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by kcmac:

However, on a second DVD with protection we again had MTR extract main movie only. Popcorn couldn't recognize the folder contents this time. So we extracted full contents with MTR and this time Popcorn did recognize it. Seems MTR didn't copy the audio files the first go round.
Tons have tried 'main movie only' extract with rippers 'dvddecrypter' etc and no don't ever do it. Always extract the entire movie with MacTheRipper.

Another person made a comment about not being able to remove Subtitles. Although it might be nice if you have a European DVD with 16 subtitles almost all the ones in the USA have maybe 3 to 5 subtitles with each one being say 4MB. So 16MB is hardly any savings when you talking about 4.37GB. Also I think it's good for newbies not to strip out any subtitles (I never recommend) for if you do and you are watching saw a movie and they start speaking a foreign language and no subtitles appear and you wonder why...well that's cuz you removed a subtitle track.

I'm checked out Popcorn and think it's awesome. DVD2ONEX is great if you wish to remove credits but it's not the same as dvdshrink being able to cut off credits at the precise time frame. Some credits are part of the last chapter so that doesn't always work. DVD2ONEX has a nice join feature though say if your stuck with flipper DVD.

As far as legality goes in USA. Until fair use law and DMCA law don't conflict with each other I say go ahead and make personal backups of dvds you own without fear. RIAA wants you to be fearful while having those two conflicting laws on the books.

nickw311
Senior User
Mar 29, 2005, 02:40 PM

So this will work with external (aftermarket) DVD burners?

mrbass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2005, 03:44 PM

Yes it will. Popcorn comes with Toast built-in (limited to burning from Popcorn though). Toast and Dragon Burn support external burners just fine. I have a lite-on 16X DVD+-R/W burner in a generic firewire enclosure. When I burn cd and dvd .isos I just use Disk Utility though and it works after applying patchburn which adds the external burner to your system's profile. Also iDVD works just fine after applying patchburn.

not sure how to type ALT 0122 ASCII codes on Macs I think it's the +- one.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 09:53 AM

I have no problem using Popcorn with my external burner (a Pioneer DVR-107 flashed with region-free firmware, unlocked DVD rip speeds and unlocked burn speeds for 8x writing on some 4x media).

Forum Links
Forum Rules