Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 160 GB drive for Macbook?

160 GB drive for Macbook?
JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2007, 11:40 PM

A friend of mine's hard drive just went out in her Macbook, so she's taking the opportunity to upgrade. She's looking for a 160 gig drive. Does anyone have any recommendations?

SLiMeX
Senior User
Apr 13, 2007, 01:09 AM

I am waiting until Seagate releases 200GB+. It'll be soon, mark my words!
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

tomrock
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2007, 08:18 AM

I bought a 160 Seagate from macsales.com and popped it in. It works great and was no problem to install.

MacDuff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2007, 09:00 AM

Seagate has a new 160gb 7200rpm 2.5" SATA drive out now. I didn't see it on Newegg but here in Sweden it is already available at the store I frequent so it should also be available in North America. It'll generate a little more heat than a 5400rpm drive but the speed gain is worth it IMHO.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2007, 09:28 AM

Good lord...whatever you do, don't buy a Hitachi drive. They are notoriously unreliable and poorly made. Buy a Seagate (five-year warranty) or a Toshiba (three-year warranty). Go to zipzoomfly.com or newegg.com for good prices.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Good lord...whatever you do, don't buy a Hitachi drive. They are notoriously unreliable and poorly made. Buy a Seagate (five-year warranty) or a Toshiba (three-year warranty). Go to zipzoomfly.com or newegg.com for good prices.
FWIW, I had four of our five Toshiba drives failing, two or three of them in the first 24 months. Never had one of the replacement drives to fail. I get it that Toshiba laptops have Toshiba drives in them, but Apple shoud not.

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2007, 09:53 AM

160GB Seagate for $140

Originally Posted by SLiMeX View Post
I am waiting until Seagate releases 200GB+. It'll be soon, mark my words!
Dell is shipping notebooks with 250GB/5400RPM drives... I expect they'll hit the retail market soon.

edit: Oh, you said Seagate... I don't know what brand Dell is using.

post_break
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
My toshiba has a 100 gig hitachi and it has worked flawlessly. Not only that but I also owned a T22 thinkpad that was a decade old with a hitachi and it ran fine aswell. Remember the tommy boy quote about warrenties? "If you want me to crap in a box and warrenty it, I can..."

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2007, 11:25 AM

I think Seagate and Hitachi are the two leaders in hard drive quality.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2007, 11:40 AM

Seagate FTW. For no other reason than their industry leading warranty.

SLiMeX
Senior User
Apr 13, 2007, 11:58 AM

SEAGATE FTW, by far.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2007, 12:29 PM

Seagate, and, what I've been told is that 7200 100gbs are not real-world-faster than 160gb 5200s. Free space is pretty important to how fast drives are in the real world.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 13, 2007, 01:53 PM

If the laptop's drive failed and you haven't somehow voided the warranty (MacBooks are all under a year old currently, so your friend's should be covered), Apple owes you a new drive. I'd take advantage of that.

You can still get a 160GB Seagate (or wait a few months for the 200 and 250GB models to appear), but the Apple-replacement can at least serve as portable partial backup, for the next time a drive goes.

eddiejclayton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2007, 04:35 PM

I've had decent luck with Hitachi Deathstars (at least on the desktop). I just upgraded my HDD in my macbook with the Seagate 160GB, I think it's an awesome addition.....battery life seems to have improved a bit somehow as well (perhaps the Gate is a little more efficient?).

Forum Links
Forum Rules