Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Special Event: iPhone 8/iPhone X - $1000?

Apple Special Event: iPhone 8/iPhone X - $1000?
andi*pandi
Sep 11, 2017, 01:48 PM

Tomorrow will tell. I'm buying a new phone this year, but I suspect it will be a 7.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/....html#comments

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2017, 01:59 PM

The scuttlebutt I've read it there will be an "8" with a bezel-less OLED screen, and a 7S/7S Plus. The "8" being the $1K model.
45/47

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2017, 04:14 PM

Everyone is making a big deal out of this $1,000 price tag and I feel like that's what is going to get all of the headlines.

But I don't think 95% of the public really understands how much phones cost anyway. A plus-sized iPhone with a storage bump is close to this price already. iPhone's have started at $650 pretty much forever, but if you ask people how much they cost, everyone thinks they are $200.

I'm probably buying this phone, and I really don't want everyone who sees it to ask me if I paid $1,000 for a phone and talk about how crazy that is. That's going to be so annoying.
( Last edited by ort888; Sep 11, 2017 at 06:22 PM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2017, 04:20 PM

My current 6s 64GB was 800+ when I bought it. In my mind that qualifies as rounding up to "it cost a grand basically"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2017, 04:33 PM

If you did the math on how often I interact with my iPhone and how important it is to my daily life... the actually cost is chump change.

I keep them for about 3 years, use it for hours every single day. I don't have a problem paying a little more for something that is such a central part of my day-to-day life.

And as long as they keep cheaper options available that don't suck, I don't really find it all that annoying... even though I frequently bitch and moan about how Apple is always raising prices on everything.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 11, 2017, 06:15 PM

My 5s was about $800 when I got it (max memory, fairly new to the market, etc.), so "OMG it's like a grand!!!" seems like an overreaction.

Like andi, I'm going to be getting a new phone in the not too distant future, and it's likely to be a 7s instead of an 8. Not that I'm going to be that shy about a $1,000 phone that I pay for over time, just that I don't have a problem buying the previous generation. I'm kinda done with bleeding edge phone ownership. I had five different iPhone 4s' back when they were pretty new...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2017, 11:51 PM

Gotta be the leakiest keynote in recent history. That OS 11 teardown really spoiled everything.

No new phone for me unless AT&T does another trade in deal... but maybe a Homepod.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2017, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
If you did the math on how often I interact with my iPhone and how important it is to my daily life... the actually cost is chump change.
I ultimately use this thought process to justify splurging every year. It's ridiculous how much I use the thing.

And yeah... IIRC from last time around, a maxed out, nonplussed 7 was like, $900.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 12, 2017, 11:05 AM

Literally two days ago my trusty iPhone 6 started acting up, getting weird about connecting to the network, and shutting off randomly when battery is below 10% (but not down to 0 yet). Don't tempt me.

andi*pandi  (op)
Sep 12, 2017, 01:09 PM

Event opens with Steve Jobs tribute in new theater.
Give to hurricane relief via app store.
Apple Park is awesome.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2017, 02:02 PM

No 7S
45/47

andi*pandi  (op)
Sep 12, 2017, 02:08 PM

photos look like everyone will be pro photog now.

Augmented reality?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2017, 02:21 PM

IPhone X with SUPER Retina display. (OLED)
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2017, 02:27 PM

Neural engine? Should we be worried about SkyNet?
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2017, 02:50 PM

$999 for the 64GB X. IPhone 8 Plus for me.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2017, 02:53 PM

No High Chaparral?
45/47

andi*pandi  (op)
Sep 12, 2017, 02:59 PM

iPhone8 regular might do for me, but with ALL THE SPACE. So looking forward to not jettisoning things every other day.

mindwaves
Sep 12, 2017, 03:20 PM

Current user of iPhone 7. No plans to upgrade. I think using Apple Pay with iPhone X is going to be awkward.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2017, 03:23 PM

Man, Face ID looks like hot garbage.

If you have to hold it up and stare at it? Woof. Notice how they never once talked about how fast it was, or how much easier it was? There was some impressive linguistic gymnastics to dance around the fact that this is probably a huge step back in convenience.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2017, 03:26 PM

I'm actually more excited about the 4K Apple TV. All HD purchases will be upgraded to 4K HDR for free!

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2017, 03:35 PM

$1149 for the X 256GB. If I do upgrade, it will be to the 64GB 8 Plus
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2017, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Scratch that, no new phone for until the non OLED iPhone 10. It looks like the AC compressor on my Colorado is going out. Ugh.
45/47

andi*pandi  (op)
Sep 12, 2017, 04:38 PM

bummer.

mindwaves
Sep 12, 2017, 09:06 PM

Biggest surprise (considering the many leaks 2 days before) is the Apple designed 3 core GPU. I thought that they were not going to phase out Imagination Technologies until 2019.

mindwaves
Sep 12, 2017, 09:12 PM

Also, the naming is a bit weird. It should have been called iPhone Ex, not iPhone 10. Imagine the ensuing confusion.

Ham Sandwich
Sep 12, 2017, 09:44 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:50 AM. )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2017, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Also, the naming is a bit weird. It should have been called iPhone Ex, not iPhone 10. Imagine the ensuing confusion.
It was an odd decision. I mean I get it from the standpoint of it being the 10th anniversary of the iPhone. But to have an 8 and a 10 in the lineup seems ill-advised. Unless of course Apple is intentionally trying to convey a sense of the iPhone X being signicantly more advanced than the iPhone 8.

OAW

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2017, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Add another $200 for AppleCare, $400+ for the new Watch and $10/mo. for Watch data and this is a very expensive upgrade cycle.

I'm sitting this one out... a 6.3" phone might've swayed me.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2017, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Oh yeah that caught me off guard too. What comes after the iPhone 9 when that gets released?
iPhone Mavericks.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2017, 01:14 AM

I assume next year the X features/design become the standard and they drop numbers ala iPad/every other Apple product.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2017, 01:22 AM

Next year should be the Xs, dammit!

Then Mavericks. Then Maverickss.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2017, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Add another $200 for AppleCare, $400+ for the new Watch and $10/mo. for Watch data and this is a very expensive upgrade cycle.

I'm sitting this one out... a 6.3" phone might've swayed me.
Thankfully, I hate watches.

P
Sep 13, 2017, 04:38 AM

Didn't the price of the base iPhone nudge up by $50?

Biggest surprise (considering the many leaks 2 days before) is the Apple designed 3 core GPU. I thought that they were not going to phase out Imagination Technologies until 2019.
Imagniation said that Apple will have phased out all of their tech by then - which makes it odd that the new AppleTV still has it, but I guess they can update again by then.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 13, 2017, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Didn't the price of the base iPhone nudge up by $50?
iPhone 7 (32GB) is currently $650 from Verizon. iPhone 8 (64GB) is $700.

Galaxy S7 (32GB) is $576, Galaxy S8 (64GB) is $756.

Pixel (32GB) is $650.

OreoCookie
Sep 13, 2017, 09:47 AM

The biggest surprise is that they didn't really milk it in any way. When Apple started designing their own CPU cores, it was a big deal, now it's just like “Oh, yeah, we also do our own GPUs from now on. Our first core is massively more power efficient than what we had before and 30 % more performant than its predecessor.” Talking about hitting the ground running, they are running faster than their competition. But then again, they had to skip over so many first chip designs (e. g. the AI and Machine Learning co-processor or the new Apple Watch SoC whose name they didn't even utter, S3, I suppose?).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2017, 10:59 AM

I remember when a new iPhone release would fill me with excitement.

I need a new phone and right now I just feel confused and at a loss for what I want to do.

I'm interested in the "X", but the cost is crazy and Face ID seems like it might completely suck. Honestly, that's a big deal breaker. It super important. I don't want to have to lift the phone up to my face. Every single time I've seen it demonstrated the person doing it lifts up the phone very deliberately and holds it perfectly straight 1.5 feet from their face. That's total crap if that's how it works. Total crap. Until I hear confirmation that it's better than that, there is no way I'm spending money on that phone.

I could "step down" to an 8 Plus, but the size is annoying and the cost would be so close that I worry I would spend the next few year regretting my choice. Then I start to ask myself what it is about the 8 that's so much better then the 7 which is a little cheaper... and then I ask the same about the 6S and I really start to ask myself why I even need a new phone at all.

There little, well, it's just $100 different... pricing structure can work the exact opposite way as well...

And honestly, I think we all have to come to grips with the fact that smartphones have stopped improving at a pace that is interesting. A 4 year old phone is still pretty great. I don't know. I felt like this last year too, and I ended up doing nothing and waiting a year.
( Last edited by ort888; Sep 13, 2017 at 12:04 PM. )

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2017, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
iPhone 7 (32GB) is currently $650 from Verizon. iPhone 8 (64GB) is $700.

Galaxy S7 (32GB) is $576, Galaxy S8 (64GB) is $756.

Pixel (32GB) is $650.

With everyone moving to 18/24 month financing or yearly upgrade plans, I think we will only see phones get more expensive.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2017, 11:23 AM

I see all the new phones are 1:1 £ for $ priced now.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2017, 04:36 PM

You know, I wasn't interested in this wireless charging stuff until I read that it works through a case and saw that 3rd party wireless chargers are actually cheap.

Unless a bunch of super glowing Face ID reviews come out in the next week or so, I think I'm going to get an 8 Plus and just stick with it until Apple figures out a better way to unlock a phone that is all screen. Phones are all so great now, I really think I can get 3-4 years out of one without feeling like I'm missing anything.

I know the screen is technically larger on the "X", but I feel like the notch and curved edges takes away a good deal of workable space and it's so vertical. I don't think that's what most people want. I worry that the plus is so large, but my hands are comically large and I have giant alien fingers, so it won't be that big of a problem.

iPhone 8 Plus vs X

X Pros:
Way smaller
Way easier to use one handed
Cool big screen
New "home button" gestures could be cool (but who knows, this could also be a negative)
Ever so slightly better camera (I think the only difference is double stabilization and ƒ2.4 vs ƒ2.8 on telephoto)
Better front camera (don't care)
Animoji (don't care)

8 Plus Pros:
Touch ID seems WAY better than Face ID
Better battery life
The traditional home button is the devil I know and has worked great for a long time
Screen doesn't have a big chunk out of it and has normal square corners (not goofball curved edges)
$200 cheaper
Available way sooner, probably won't be hard to get

Ham Sandwich
Sep 13, 2017, 06:17 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:50 AM. )

OreoCookie
Sep 13, 2017, 08:14 PM

BTW, regarding the A11, I found this analysis: the author isn't impressed with a “mere” 15 % gain in IPC. I'm not sure whether I agree with these expectations, there are no simple gains left such as going out-of-order or very wide. But he drops an interesting tidbit regarding the GPU: he claims to have heard that it is in fact not an internal design, but from the sound of it more like a derivative of an existing design. If that is so, by whom?There are only four other players I can think of, and two of them (ARM and Qualcomm) do not seem likely candidates. That would leave ARM and nVidia.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2017, 09:31 PM

ARM or AMD?

Don't Apple own a piece of Imagination, their previous iPhone GPU suppliers? Maybe its one of their reference designs?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2017, 09:38 PM

The X is a little underwhelming. Not really worth skipping a number.
I don't really care about the edge to edge display. I suspect if I got one, I'd miss the home button for ages. I prefer Touch ID to Face ID. There is a use case to being able to unlock your phone without looking at it. Face ID is solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Apple isn't going to shock anyone with a phone again until it shifts to some kind of bionic implant form factor.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2017, 01:17 AM

From first-hand accounts, it's absolutely stunning and futuristic in a way that would justify the name.

P
Sep 14, 2017, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
BTW, regarding the A11, I found this analysis: the author isn't impressed with a “mere” 15 % gain in IPC. I'm not sure whether I agree with these expectations, there are no simple gains left such as going out-of-order or very wide.
15% IPC would be quite impressive given how they've been doing recently. The "bad one" of Apple's CPU designs, the A8, got about 8%, but even that was impressive compared to what Intel usually gets. What little I've heard before launch is that they're reworking the uncore (ie caches etc), which might be a good idea, but even so 15% is massive.

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
But he drops an interesting tidbit regarding the GPU: he claims to have heard that it is in fact not an internal design, but from the sound of it more like a derivative of an existing design. If that is so, by whom?There are only four other players I can think of, and two of them (ARM and Qualcomm) do not seem likely candidates. That would leave ARM and nVidia.
Actually it has been that for a couple of generations now, ever since the A8:

https://www.realworldtech.com/apple-custom-gpu/
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

P
Sep 14, 2017, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
ARM or AMD?

Don't Apple own a piece of Imagination, their previous iPhone GPU suppliers? Maybe its one of their reference designs?
That is what they have done for some time. This was supposed to be all-Apple.

As for whose design they might work on...

AMD: Possible but unlikely. AMD doesn't have any mobile graphics anymore (it was sold to Qualcomm when AMD needed cash badly about 10 years ago), and the design that Apple talks about in its description is tile-based deferred rendering, which is a very mobile-focused design and nothing like what AMD puts out on the desktop.
nVidia: Nope. NVidia is even more of a control freak than Apple, and they're still feuding over nVidia's patent trolling. Their design is also not TBDR - it is is tile based but immediate rendering.
Qualcomm: Unlikely given their current feud. It is a decent GPU otherwise, and would fit.
ARM: Probably the most likely answer. Mali is not a great GPU, but it would fit the description from Apple on how it works.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2017, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
From first-hand accounts, it's absolutely stunning and futuristic in a way that would justify the name.
You're stunning and futuristic.

OreoCookie
Sep 14, 2017, 09:49 AM

15% IPC would be quite impressive given how they've been doing recently. The "bad one" of Apple's CPU designs, the A8, got about 8%, but even that was impressive compared to what Intel usually gets. What little I've heard before launch is that they're reworking the uncore (ie caches etc), which might be a good idea, but even so 15% is massive.
Agreed. Reviewers would dance in the street if Intel got a 15 % IPC boost from one generation to the other (and then a dollop of clock speed improvements are added on top of that). Last time that happened was with Sandybridge if I remember correctly.
Actually it has been that for a couple of generations now, ever since the A8:

https://www.realworldtech.com/apple-custom-gpu/
I always thought of the GPUs Apple used from the A8 till the A10 as optimizations of existing GPUs to Apple's use cases, akin to what they did before using custom ARM cores.
That is what they have done for some time. This was supposed to be all-Apple.

As for whose design they might work on...
I agree with what you wrote. I reckon that even if they design their own GPUs, they must have a patent cross licensing deal in place for otherwise they'd be swamped with lawsuits.

P
Sep 15, 2017, 08:04 AM

A little bit of early analysis shows that Apple has done something with the cache system, but it is not exactly clear what. The memory controller is smarter so copy performance is up, but main memory latency remains (and is much worse than Intel). The rest of the increase appears to be due to increased max clock.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2017, 11:31 AM

For some real hilarity, Chris Pirillo has been losing his shit on Twitter about the notch on the X. For three solid days, that's all he's been talking about.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules