Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Swatting

Swatting
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2014, 06:34 PM

So I just learned what this was while reading about a 15 year old who was just labelled a domestic terrorist and given 25 to life for doing it a bunch of times.

Thoughts?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 31, 2014, 06:59 PM

Well, the story about the 15-year old is bogus, but yeah. Swatting is a real thing.

And a very bad one. Sooner or later, somebody's going to get killed, if it hasn't already happened.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2014, 07:14 PM

Some kids these days are so dumb, and lack so much common sense, I don't see how they will NOT end up locked up eventually. The only question is: how many people will get harmed until it happens.

-t

reader50
Administrator
Aug 31, 2014, 08:23 PM

Pranks in my high school consisted of sending COD pizza orders to friends' homes. Or calling all the stores in town, asking each to page Mr. MeHoff to the phone. "What's his first name? 'Jack'. Paging Mr. Jack Mehoff. Jack Mehoff please come to the service desk ...". Caller hangs up when the young clerk makes the store-wide announcement.

And no, it wasn't me behind either of those pranks.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2014, 09:18 PM

Maybe the SWAT teams should go on more than just a phone call before entering private property with automatic weapons drawn and pointed. SWATting is just a symptom of a bigger problem. A much bigger problem.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 31, 2014, 10:30 PM

I'm with Snow-i. Did they have a clue who they were going to bust in on? Did they actually have the authority to bust in on anyone as if a real crime were taking place? Worse, if this sort of stupid "prank" stuff goes on too long, REAL issues will be less likely to be acted on because "I don't know, the caller sounded really young...maybe it's a prank."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2014, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
Maybe the SWAT teams should go on more than just a phone call before entering private property with automatic weapons drawn and pointed. SWATting is just a symptom of a bigger problem. A much bigger problem.
Yes, of course we have a bigger problem: militarization of our police force.

But that doesn't make it ok for kids to do stupid pranks.

Just imagine if the didn't call for a SWAT team, but for ambulances or the fire squads.
The first responder system is strained enough as it is.

-t

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2014, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Yes, of course we have a bigger problem: militarization of our police force.
It's not just the militarization of our police force. It's an attitude among the police to SWAT first and ask questions later. I mean, a SWAT raid based off of one phone call which responders full well know could be a prank?

What if it were a hostage situation? Would sending in the SWAT team be appropriate then? No. The police are getting lazy with the facts and offsetting this by arming themselves to the teeth.
But that doesn't make it ok for kids to do stupid pranks.
Kids have always done stupid pranks. Kids will always do stupid pranks no matter how much you outlaw it. What has changed though, is the rate at which we're using SWAT teams.

In segment on Ferguson, John Oliver says SWAT raids are up 1,400 percent | PunditFact

Just imagine if the didn't call for a SWAT team, but for ambulances or the fire squads.
The first responder system is strained enough as it is.
Just imagine if the police did a little bit of actual police work before busting down the door with MP5s and M4s in a fashion normally reserved for our special forces operating behind enemy lines.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2014, 09:51 AM

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Sep 1, 2014, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post

It doesn't always go bad.
I think this is a matter of perspective. Yeah, the kid didn't get blasted, but he did have to deal with, you know, THE SWAT TEAM.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Pranks in my high school consisted of sending COD pizza orders to friends' homes.
We ordered it with anchovies to make sure it wasn't edible. Cod must be a Texas thing.

andi*pandi
Sep 1, 2014, 09:38 PM

This kind of prank could really be best described as attempted murder.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2014, 07:11 AM

I love the way this article treats the victim as an authority on swatting and police training in general for some reason. By which I mean I don't love it at all.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OreoCookie
Sep 2, 2014, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
It's not just the militarization of our police force. It's an attitude among the police to SWAT first and ask questions later. [...]

Kids have always done stupid pranks. Kids will always do stupid pranks no matter how much you outlaw it. What has changed though, is the rate at which we're using SWAT teams.

In segment on Ferguson, John Oliver says SWAT raids are up 1,400 percent | PunditFact
I completely agree. It'll be hard to turn back the hands of time and make a SWAT raid for something like underage drinking and pot smoking something completely unacceptable. Some police officers will claim that they are safer this way (but not the people who are being raided), forgetting that police men and women work for the people.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2014, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I love the way this article treats the victim as an authority on swatting and police training in general for some reason. By which I mean I don't love it at all.
Something is definitely not sitting right with that article.

I almost get the feeling he swatted himself for publicity.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2014, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by EstaNightshift View Post
I think this is a matter of perspective. Yeah, the kid didn't get blasted, but he did have to deal with, you know, THE SWAT TEAM.
No, actually he didn't:

The Bradenton Police Department SWAT team was on its way but did not come into his house, Dolen added.
They handled it the way it should be handled, since they didn't have solid confirmation. Aside from most of his daughters being scared witless (the youngest slept through the whole thing), it was pretty much, "no harm, no foul". Once they figured out that it was a prank, the officers handed out hugs and lollipops, then exited stage left. It could have been a lot worse.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Sep 2, 2014, 10:29 AM

I was being more general about SWATting, but admittedly, didn't read your link too closely.

Forum Links
Forum Rules