Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Upgrade opportunity dilemna.

Upgrade opportunity dilemna.
Thread Tools
mrmister
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 23, 2004, 07:03 PM
 
I have a Ti 1Ghz with an 80GB 5400 drive, 1 GB RAM and a PCCard to get 802.11g w/o dealing with the TiBook's notorious signal issues.

A friend needs to buy a Mac for video editing, and he's offering $1900 for my rig. Perusing ebay and the boards convinces me that this is a good (even great) offer at this time.

My problem is that I *like* this TiBook. I've had a number of them, and this one is really a pleasure to use--I know all its quirks, I'm used to it, etc.

If I did sell, I would downgrade to a TiBook 500 that is my backup computer--and would have to live with it and make do until the next crop of PowerBooks comes out.

Question is, what do people expect for the next batch? If it is all more of the same, with small bumps, would I be better served staying with my present 1Ghz TiBook until the far-off G5 PowerBook is released? Of course, at that point this laptop will be worth far, far less than $1900...

It's a hard one for me. Traditionally I am a sucker for frequent and extravagant upgrades, but this time I'm balking a little. It doesn't help that the AlBook is 1/3 of a pound heavier than the Ti, has a lower voltage battery and (to my eyes) isn't quite as aesthetically excellent.

Usage wise I do a lot of text, email, web and some light Photoshop and DVD mastering...nothing that the 1Ghz can't currently handle.

It's a good offer--if you were me, would you take it?
     
filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 23, 2004, 07:55 PM
 
I'd take it.
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!
     
davisrg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rome, GA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 23, 2004, 08:36 PM
 
Originally posted by filmmaker2002:
I'd take it.
I second that ...

The current batch of PowerBooks are much faster that your current Ti PowerBook ... you could wait, but what are you waiting for? The next upgrade will certainly not be a G5, and even when a G5 does come out, I wouldn't own a Rev. A ... I predict a minor upgrade such as the past PowerBook upgrade ... perhaps better video card, a little faster processor ...jump in now and get a PowerBook G4 17 ... plenty fast enough and super nice machine ... just my opinion
PowerBook G4 12-inch 1.5GHz/1.25GB/80GB/SD
Apple Certifications: ACPT, ACDT
     
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Illinois
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 23, 2004, 09:02 PM
 
Yes, I'd take the money and run...to the store and get one of the current PowerBooks. I personally don't think that the next revision will be a major one, and there are some pretty good deals to be had on the current models if you look hard enough.
     
[email protected]
Forum Regular
Join Date: Apr 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 24, 2004, 01:53 AM
 
If he is foolish enough to give you $1900 then take it.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz
     
mrmister  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 24, 2004, 02:10 AM
 
So far it's pretty unified. Some folks seem to think I should buy the current PB immediately--I do have a Ti500 to tide me over. Would most folks immediately buy the current models, or would you wait it out for the upgrade?

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ indicates that it's been 158 days since the last update, and they average 171...though I know no one knows, what's people's gut feelings on when an upgrade is coming?
     
meatyocre
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 24, 2004, 08:14 AM
 
Accept the $1900 offer and hold onto the cash. There is a revision around the corner and there are many people waiting in "line". The next Rev may be minor, but it may be sweet (dual-core). Either way you will get more for your money.
     
dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Join Date: Feb 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 26, 2004, 03:01 PM
 
Originally posted by meatyocre:
Accept the $1900 offer and hold onto the cash. There is a revision around the corner and there are many people waiting in "line". The next Rev may be minor, but it may be sweet (dual-core). Either way you will get more for your money.
I second that advice. The next revision will probably be minor but even if you want it, you sound like you might want to try the next generation. It's important that you aren't very attracted to the looks of the ALBook. Perhaps the G5 Book next summer or earlier.

"Industry analysts think really exotic materials like carbon nanotube composites are simply out of the question....yett sources keep insisting the PBG5 will sport an enclosure "that pushes the envelope forward in a way even bigger than the first Powerbook G4 Titaniums did when they were introduced"...."

http://www.macosrumors.com/91504E2.php

My friend has a 500mhz G3 and he's holding out for a major upgrade. I use a 867mHz G4 and want to hold onto it until at least a rev. b G5.

Best of luck. I'd take the cash. My 867 runs at 500 or less when it's on battery to save power and I don't have problems. But then again, I don't Photoshop.
Looking forward.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,