Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sell Powerbook And Buy iMac???

Sell Powerbook And Buy iMac???
Thread Tools
Tin-Cup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 29, 2004, 08:08 AM
 
i dont use the portability of my powerbook as much as i thought i woul (hardly at all)

i do alot of photoshop and some final cut... dont really play games
i would have the 20 inch with 1gb ram, and have got rev c pb 15 inch 512 ram,

what do you guys think?

just cant decide...
     
Randman
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MacNN database error. Please refresh your browser.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 29, 2004, 08:42 AM
 
If you can sell your PB, you'll get a slight bump in performance improvement, but you'll lose money on the PB and spend more for the iMac. But if you just added ram, you'd also be close in performance.
And don't forget that the iMac is rev a, likely to have more problems.
You could always add a second monitor to your setup now, include mouse, keyboard and external drive for less than the iMac and still have a pretty spiffy desktop setup.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.
     
Tin-Cup  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 29, 2004, 08:48 AM
 
i can sell my powerbook... and for the money (im in uk btw) i can get a 20inch iMac g5 bluetooth kb and mouse 1gb ram and airport extreme
     
d.fine
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on 650 cc's
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 29, 2004, 08:59 AM
 
I'd keep the PB, add more ram and takes Randman's advice : get an Apple display if you want a bigger screen, or any other screen. Don't think those 300MHz are going to make a huge difference.

You never know that 'portability' might after all come in handy ....

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.
     
Tin-Cup  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 29, 2004, 09:16 AM
 
yeah i know what your saying... but that mean dropping another grand (gbp) on a screen and the more money on the other stuff... but i could straight swap my second hand powerbook for a brand new iMac with 1gb ram


see my dilemma
     
d.fine
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on 650 cc's
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 29, 2004, 09:34 AM
 
It's your desicion. We're just sharing points of view.

If you think this is the right choice for you, then go for it. Just remember, as mentioned earlier, the new iMac G5 is a Rev A product ... it's the first of its kind.

As PB's don't loose their value too fast, maybe you can wait for a Rev B iMac G5 ? Just a thought.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.
     
Tin-Cup  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 29, 2004, 09:49 AM
 
yeah, and thanks for you opinions... i didnt mean any offense...

thanks
     
iREZ
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Los Angeles of the East
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 29, 2004, 11:30 AM
 
Why not upgrade to a 17" PB, that way you'll have a 17" screen just like the midrange iMac but still have portability. Just get an external keyboard, mouse and iCurve (or any other stand) and voila great looking setup that's only a little, and I do mean little, less powerful but you'll still have a FW800 and PCI slot, not to mention a better GPU. All this would cost a couple hundred more but it's a way better option in my opinion than just sticking with the iMac.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)
     
davisrg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rome, GA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 29, 2004, 12:18 PM
 
Originally posted by iREZ:
Why not upgrade to a 17" PB, that way you'll have a 17" screen just like the midrange iMac but still have portability. Just get an external keyboard, mouse and iCurve (or any other stand) and voila great looking setup that's only a little, and I do mean little, less powerful but you'll still have a FW800 and PCI slot, not to mention a better GPU. All this would cost a couple hundred more but it's a way better option in my opinion than just sticking with the iMac.
Excellent suggestion. I fully agree!
PowerBook G4 12-inch 1.5GHz/1.25GB/80GB/SD
Apple Certifications: ACPT, ACDT
     
d.fine
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on 650 cc's
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 29, 2004, 02:37 PM
 
Originally posted by Tin-Cup:
yeah, and thanks for you opinions... i didnt mean any offense...

thanks
None taken, don't worry about it. All I wanted to say is that no one here can decide for you, you're the one who has to 'close the deal'

A 17" upgrade may be a good idea. But I think the point of the PB - iMac swap is that there are no extra costs, I think he's trying to avoid paying extra.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.
     
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 29, 2004, 05:44 PM
 
if you take a look at Barefeats benchmark it shows the PB slightly faster in the graphic tests.

If you don't need the portability facet of the PB, then go for it. The iMac is a nice machine, I'm sure you will be happy with it. One recommendation is to test drive it at your local compusa or apple store to make sure it is everything you hope it to be.

Mike
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:26 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,