Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Street Fighter IV

Street Fighter IV
jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2009, 12:20 PM

Anybody pick this up? I haven't played Street Fighter since my arcade days but I'm loving it so far. I'm getting my ass handed to me online, though...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2009, 12:37 AM

although i don't plan on making a purchase anytime soon, i did play this at work yesterday and it was pretty awesome, really brought me back to the old school days. When this goes platinum hits or whatever its called, i'll grab it.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2009, 03:20 AM

Love it. Been playing it almost non-stop for three days now.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2009, 06:14 PM

So no one is playing this? What the hell?

It's mother****ing Street Fighter!

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2009, 08:31 PM

I'm playing all the time. I just got a fightstick, but it looks like I got one of the broken ones. Gonna have to send it off to Madcatz, and that just sucks...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2009, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
So no one is playing this? What the hell?

It's mother****ing Street Fighter!
Ha, exactly. I got tired of this series sometime in the '90s.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Rumor
Feb 23, 2009, 09:23 PM

I was more of a Tekken fan.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2009, 10:03 PM

Blasphemy!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2009, 10:24 PM

I cannot comprehend preferring Tekken over Street Fighter. Tekken's gameplay is simultaneously more complex and less deep than Street Fighter's. And it doesn't have fireballs — WTF is up with that?
Chuck
___

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2009, 07:12 PM

i have been playing it since day one and cant put the controller down, as a matter of fact, i paused mid game to browse the web on my laptop and posted this, ive unlocked everyone and am now mastering Amuka. I can do the supers n ultras for everyone but putting them into combos is a little tricky.....k...back to playing...
MPB 2.8GHz, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD
2TB Raid 1 setup, Wacom 12x19, 24" ACD, Bose SS
FCS 2, Shake, Adobe CS4, Lightroom > Aperture

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2009, 12:34 AM

I spent $80 on an arcade stick for this game and I just ordered $60 worth of japanese arcade parts so that I can mod it.

I have also unlocked everyone. I've half-assedly learned everyone's moves and some general strategies, and now it's time to start learning how to really play the game.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2009, 10:46 AM

I spent $80 on an arcade stick for this game and I just ordered $60 worth of japanese arcade parts so that I can mod it.

I have also unlocked everyone. I've half-assedly learned everyone's moves and some general strategies, and now it's time to start learning how to really play the game.
I spent the $80 too, but Gamestop sold me a used stick for the new price. Which was strange, because I was there when the shipment from UPS came in and watched the guy pull it out from that box. I guess they transferred it from another store. Dunno why, though.

Problem I'm having is that it's got the defective washer problem, but the warranty seal was already broken. I'm trying to decide if I'd rather try and deal with MadCatz support or try to find another stick. Not sure which would be easier at this point...

Hmongolian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I was more of a Tekken fan.
TEKKEN FTW!

LOL.. Yea, I love Tekken.. Waiting on Tekken 6 myself.. But I couldn't pass up Street Fighter 4! No way! About time they did a sequel! Game is awesome!

Guile is the best! And people who play Ryu and Ken are noobs (majority)..

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2009, 10:34 AM

Great game. I don't have an arcade stick but then again I don't have much of a problem pulling off moves. Is it just me? I mean sure I get caught sometimes and can't pull an ultra, but the minor agitation is not worth $80 to me.

Online is great. I love beating Akuma/Ken/Ryu with Chun-Li. People just don't see it coming. Although I'll play with Ken too. I figure anyone with enough skill shouldn't complain. I lost to Vega online and I had Ken and I was actually glad to see someone beat Ken with such an unsuspecting character.

The game is great.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2009, 01:33 PM

How weird. I remember in the original game Dhalsim was the noob character and Ryu was one of the harder characters because the Dragon Punch motion was so darned fickle that it wouldn't work half the time unless you were really good at it.
Chuck
___

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
How weird. I remember in the original game Dhalsim was the noob character and Ryu was one of the harder characters because the Dragon Punch motion was so darned fickle that it wouldn't work half the time unless you were really good at it.
That's what I remember as well. I just played it on my cousins 360, pretty sweet game. Does bring back some good memories and stays true to the roots, and after about an hour or so I remembered why I haven't played it since the early 90's. The throws, man, the throws...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2009, 05:27 PM

It's the game we fans have been waiting for for 16 years or so. Seth is sort of lame, though.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2009, 05:54 PM

The only reason I played Tekken was for Tekken Bowling. Other than that, I never really played the fighting games.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2009, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
No offense but, "Can consistently pull off a dragon punch" puts you at about a 3 on the 10 point "how good are you at Street Fighter" scale.

Dhalsim is one of the most difficult characters to master and always has been.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2009, 01:05 AM

No offense but, "Can consistently pull off a dragon punch" puts you at about a 3 on the 10 point "how good are you at Street Fighter" scale.
I know that. I just mean, out of the average people you would face, the noobs would choose Dhalsim because you could whack people without having to put yourself in danger, while most would have trouble consistently pulling off a Dragon Punch. Like, they could do everything else, but the Dragon Punch motion always gave them trouble.

Personally, the move I had trouble doing consistently was Zangief's ****ing piledriver. I never played as Zangief, which both explained the problem and made me not worry much about it.

Dhalsim is one of the most difficult characters to master and always has been.
Mastery has nothing to do with people's interest in a character when they're new to a game. He was really easy to button-mash with.
Chuck
___

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2009, 01:08 AM

And slow. Chun Li was good for noobs.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2009, 09:18 PM

Maybe on the mega-n00b scale Dhalsim would be a good pick. Say for instance, if my mom was playing my wife or something. But beyond that Dhalsim is a big pain to win with.

i agree with Chun Li being good for beginners. Any character that can pull off a special with just button mashing. Chun-Li, Honda and Blanka.

Also, yes Big Mac, Seth is lame. In every way he is lame. Not cool looking. Doesn't seem like belongs in the universe. Not fun to play against and even less fun to play.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2009, 08:30 AM

Anyone see the outlandishly cheap Ken pattern people are using online? There's a particular close attack combination that Ken players have stumbled on to that there's no defense for, and most people are playing as Ken online.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2009, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Anyone see the outlandishly cheap Ken pattern people are using online? There's a particular close attack combination that Ken players have stumbled on to that there's no defense for, and most people are playing as Ken online.
It's always fun to keep the Ken players at a distance and listen to them complain. Sagat is great for that.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2009, 12:34 AM

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2009, 12:40 AM

haha that is hilarous

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2009, 11:23 PM

If anyone hasn't picked this up yet, it's on sale at GameStop/EBGames for $20 new for both PS3 and 360. I grabbed it today for the former. Hopefully I'll find someone to play online who won't just slaughter me wholesale.

Forum Links
Forum Rules