Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Rage (for Xbox)

Rage (for Xbox)
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2011, 11:25 AM

So a mate who really really loved Borderlands says to get this game. The Ars Technica review isn't good.

What say the Gaming forum dwellers?

Apologies to those that think I shouldn't have started a new thread.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2011, 12:47 PM

From what I've gathered from reviews and a couple reliable friends.

It's a marvelously beautiful game running on the best engine out there, but past that it's boring, repetitive and your character might well as be a bucket of wallpaper paste. The descriptions of the missions I've heard sound painful, and most of all pointless.

I'd still like to see for myself, but I am most certainly waiting for it to drop in price significantly.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2011, 01:02 PM

The PC version has huge graphical bugs. Really inexcusable.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2011, 01:18 PM

Borderlands missions were a touch on the dry and unimaginative side. This is supposed to be 10x worse.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Borderlands missions were a touch on the dry and unimaginative side. This is supposed to be 10x worse.
lol, how very well put.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Oct 10, 2011, 10:04 AM

From everything i've read/watched this game incorporates not only my favorite game type but also genre. The issue seems to be that it does none of that better than anything i've played before.

When it hits sub $30 i'll pick it up

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2011, 08:06 PM

Got it, finished it in 2 sittings. Its a very short game, unless I'm missing a serious chunk of content. I've only played the campaign. I haven't played any mutliplayer.

It is how others have described it in this thread. Stunningly beautiful environments. Story is old and tired, missions are boring. Mechanics are okay, weapons and such are fun to use. Driving is really fun.

But when the game ended, rather unexpectedly, I got angry. The thought "why did I pay full price for this game?" immediately came into my head when the credits started to roll. Most of my anger came from lack of content, but there are a lot of other gripes I have with this game. The fact that you are stuck in 1st person the entire time (not being able to switch to 3rd person on the fly like Fallout 3) really took me out of the whole immersive aspect of the game. I really want to see my character and now he progresses as I gain more gear and such. But you only get to see him when he's riding an ATV. But I guess thats not a huge deal since there's really no diversity in gear to speak of in this game.

I had high hopes for this game but I can't recommend it to anyone. Rent it maybe. Don't even spend $30 for it.

I think I need to go get Fallout 3: New Vegas to cleanse my palette. Although I've heard bad things about that one as well.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2011, 08:39 PM

It's a marvelously beautiful game running on the best engine out there
Beautiful yes, but I don't think it's the best engine. The megatexture system really limits a lot of the technology available on graphic cards today; for instance, I'm told all those wonderful shaders can't be used. And there's no mip-mapping, so objects look really blurry up close.

I think Rage and Quake 4 will be the only games to ever use this engine.

I think it's kinda tragic that Rage has some of the most realistic character animations ever, being used to drive a story with no where to go.

So I gotta ask: is the combat good? Is the veh combat good? I would hope that, even when the story is lame (this is id after all), that the combat is still best of breed.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2011, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I think I need to go get Fallout 3: New Vegas to cleanse my palette. Although I've heard bad things about that one as well.
Besides the bugs it's a fantastic game, and in many ways greatly exceeds Fallout 3 in every area.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 25, 2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Got it, finished it in 2 sittings. Its a very short game, unless I'm missing a serious chunk of content. I've only played the campaign. I haven't played any multiplayer.
Not that I've read extensively on the subject, but I'm surprised I didn't read anything about it being short.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Besides the bugs it's a fantastic game, and in many ways greatly exceeds Fallout 3 in every area.
It also keeps things fresh by randomly corrupting saves, I hear.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Not that I've read extensively on the subject, but I'm surprised I didn't read anything about it being short.
Maybe I missed a large chunk of content then. I wouldn't be surprised. I didn't spend any time exploring or looking for things outside the main quest line.

Forum Links
Forum Rules