Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 3G in Canada - Rogers Announces Plans

iPhone 3G in Canada - Rogers Announces Plans (Page 3)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
And now Rogers too.

Effective July 11, and as a limited time promotional offer for customers who activate by August 31 on a three year contract, a data-only offering of 6GB of data for $30 per month is being made available that can be added to any in-market voice plan. For example, with 6GB of data, iPhone 3G users can visit 35,952 web pages, or send and receive 157,286 emails, or watch 6,292 minutes of YouTube videos each and every month.

The people have spoken my friends.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2008, 10:35 AM

Holy crap!

Fido has caved!!!11one

Effective July 11, and as a limited time promotional offer for customers
who activate until August 31, 2008 on a three year contract, a data-only
offering of 6GB of data for $30 per month is being made available that can be
added to any in-market voice plan. For example, with 6GB of data, iPhone 3G
users can visit 35,952 web pages, or send and receive 157,286 emails, or watch
6,292 minutes of YouTube videos each and every month.

So has Rogers:

http://your.rogers.com/investorrelat...s_wireless.asp

Rogers press release sounds confusing. Is this limited time offer only available to me if I activate at a Rogers Plus location listed, or is it for everyone?

Hmmmm, I'll have to call and ask.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2008, 10:42 AM

The other caveat is the "in-market voice plan" comment. That probably means you'll have to say goodbye to your retention plans if you want this. It may also mean other grandfathered plans are also toast if you want the 6 GB.

I wonder what the early cancellation fee is for this.
( Last edited by Eug; Jul 9, 2008 at 10:49 AM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2008, 11:00 AM

$30 for 6 gigs is good because from my understand it also includes tethering even though the iPhone doesn't support this.

It still needs to include visual voicemail and Call display but I can probably sucker them into that for free anyway.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2008, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
$30 for 6 gigs is good because from my understand it also includes tethering even though the iPhone doesn't support this.
We're not sure yet if the 6 GB $30 plan is locked to the iPhone or not. If it is, Rogers won't have to worry about tethering for 99% of iPhone users.

It still needs to include visual voicemail and Call display but I can probably sucker them into that for free anyway.
I'm hoping my grandfathered voice plan isn't excluded from this plan, but it may be because it's not currently "in-market". My voice plan includes voicemail (and I don't care about visual voicemail), call display, and text messaging as part of the package so it's relatively inexpensive and appropriate for my needs.

Partly because I'm cheap and partly because you guys have convinced me that 300 MB is fine for most people, I may still go on the $30/300MB plan for the first month. That way I don't have to sign a data contract right away, something I'd be less inclined to do anyway if it meant giving up my current voice plan. That will leave my options open, since the promotion doesn't end until the end of August. I can make a more educated decision about data then.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2008, 11:29 AM

6 GB plan is NOT locked to the iPhone. Any phone is supported.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...6gb.iphone.3g/

EDIT:

Any smartphone that Rogers or Fido sells is supported. So, this means you can't get the 6 GB plan if you have a hacked 3rd-party iPhone. No mention of tethering is made, but she did say that the Blackberry Bold is supported, and that supports tethering.
( Last edited by Eug; Jul 9, 2008 at 11:41 AM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2008, 03:00 PM

Any smartphone that Rogers or Fido sells is supported. So, this means you can't get the 6 GB plan if you have a hacked 3rd-party iPhone. No mention of tethering is made, but she did say that the Blackberry Bold is supported, and that supports tethering.

I am just going to tell them I still have the old sony phone and I can even change my EMI on the iPhone if I want to match it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2008, 03:06 PM

I am just going to tell them I still have the old sony phone and I can even change my EMI on the iPhone if I want to match it.
Well, it says the phone needs to be a 3G phone, although I don't know if they'll enforce that or not.

Also, if you're going to get a 6 GB plan, why not get the 3G for faster surfing? You've already said you don't go through more than a couple of hundred MB on your EDGE iPhone.

P.S. After all this time, I still don't know if my grandfathered voice plan qualifies for the 6 GB data plan.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2008, 12:28 AM

For most people, those Hotspots are useless most of the time.

Most of us don't seek out Second Cup just to do a quick Google Maps search.

Meanwhile, on the front page of Yahoo!:

Canadians hopping mad over iPhone 3G rates
A google search or even Google maps search is going to be pretty light on data. If you are just looking for an address or quick info, you are not likely to use much data.

BTW. The 6GB of data might sound like a deal but you will have to pay extra for Visual voice mail and every other of those little pieces that are included in the iPhone Plans.

Some of you might end up going for the iPhone plans after a couple months after you look at your monthly usage in the prefs.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2008, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
BTW. The 6GB of data might sound like a deal but you will have to pay extra for Visual voice mail and every other of those little pieces that are included in the iPhone Plans.
1) Text and Caller ID are already included free in my voice plan.
2) I also get regular voicemail included in my voice plan. It's not visual voice mail, but I don't care.

Some of you might end up going for the iPhone plans after a couple months after you look at your monthly usage in the prefs.
Not a chance. There is now simply no good reason to get an iPhone specific plan, unless you have to purchase after Aug. 31.

It just goes to show you just how stupidly expensive those iPhone plans were. Mediocre data rates and downright lousy voice... and you have to sign for both for 3 years. OTOH, if you make up your own plan, you can now get mediocre voice plans with outstanding data for the exact same price, or else lousy voice plans with outstanding data for less money.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2008, 09:18 AM

It just goes to show you just how stupidly expensive those iPhone plans were. Mediocre data rates and downright lousy voice... and you have to sign for both for 3 years. OTOH, if you make up your own plan, you can now get mediocre voice plans with outstanding data for the exact same price, or else lousy voice plans with outstanding data for less money.
They're still not all that great. Data may be better (still not comparable with Bell), but the voice and text rates are still in the crapper compared to the US.

benville
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Wow, I'm certainly glad I don't live in Canada. These rates are insane.
Rogers announces iPhone 3G plans, unlimited data isn't one of them - Engadget

No unlimited data, and if I read the text below the plans correctly it appears that even Caller ID isn't included? Wow, just wow.
Tell me about it. It really sucks because I've been waiting for the iPhone for so long now and the rates are ridiculous. I hope Rogers suffers a major backlash because of this. It's not right.

I was in the UK last month and even they have better cell phone rates than Canada. The quesion now is trying to find the lesser of two evils between Rogers and Fido.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 03:52 PM

Well, it says the phone needs to be a 3G phone, although I don't know if they'll enforce that or not.

Also, if you're going to get a 6 GB plan, why not get the 3G for faster surfing? You've already said you don't go through more than a couple of hundred MB on your EDGE iPhone.

P.S. After all this time, I still don't know if my grandfathered voice plan qualifies for the 6 GB data plan.
Since you can set the iPhone to Edge and 3G isn't covered in a lot of area's I don't see how or why they would enforce using 3g.

I don't know if I want the 6g plan unless I get a 3G iphone as it requires a contact when the $30 for 300 megs doesn't.

6 gigs is 5 times more than I will ever need.

Xoote
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 03:56 PM

6 gigs is more then what i need
:)

brapper
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 04:13 PM

So, apparently, finding an iPhone at a non-Rogers store is going to be incredibly hard (I know, shocking...)

I've talked to a few locations an shipments have been as small as 4 units and the max I've heard was 7.

So, unless you're in the first ten people in line, I suggest waiting.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by brapper View Post
So, apparently, finding an iPhone at a non-Rogers store is going to be incredibly hard (I know, shocking...)

I've talked to a few locations an shipments have been as small as 4 units and the max I've heard was 7.

Ya I wouldn't dare on the first day but I can't imaging it would still be a problem after a week.

I want to make Rogers sweat it out a bit and have low sales so hopefully they re-think all the plans.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by brapper View Post

Apparently The Eaton Centre Fido store got 180 units.

On the other hand, my local private non-Rogers/Fido shop got zero. They ordered 6, but so far have received none. The local Wireless Wave will get less than 10, and only 1 white one.

I want to make Rogers sweat it out a bit and have low sales so hopefully they re-think all the plans.
Heh. Good luck with that. They'll be sold out by the end of the weekend. (However, they'll get more next week.)

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 10:09 PM

posting from brantford on my touch.
first in line!
only 14 iPhones at this rogers store.
only 3, 16s, 1 white. Rest 8s.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
first in line!
You're gonna stand there all night long? Well, at least it's not raining or cold. Only 10 hours to go!

P.S. Where are you getting the WiFi from?

EDIT:

There is a lineup already in Toronto, at Yonge and Dundas. Double digit numbers in line already.
( Last edited by Eug; Jul 10, 2008 at 10:41 PM. )

vtboyarc
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2008, 10:46 PM

wow Rogers is gay. 150 minutes? dang.
I'm sorry for Canadians who want the iPhone.(or any cell plan?)
move to the US. Its a free country here, plus better cell phone planes. 450 mins a month, plus caller ID. yeah we have caller ID here.
My roomate from college is from Canada, and I guess he never calls home, but still....

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
first in line!
Why you soooo excited? Is this your first iPhone?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2008, 10:59 PM

There is a lineup already in Toronto, at Yonge and Dundas. Double digit numbers in line already.
2.5 hours ago:

Why you soooo excited?
Cuz it's an iPhone of course!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2008, 11:06 PM

I'll drop by there tomorrow afternoon, if there are none left I'll wait until next week.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2008, 10:30 AM

Got my order in.

I called Fido at 9 when they started accepting phone orders, and waited 50 minutes before I got a hold of anyone. That's OK though, since I was doing work in the meantime.

The guy there was very polite and didn't push data (or anything else) on me at all. So, I kept my voice plan (but have to pay the extra $50 up front because it's not over $30), and I'll add data when the phone actually lands in my grubby little hands.

He said my 16 GB white should ship by mid-week next week by UPS.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 01:28 PM

I feel sorry for anyone who lined up overnight in Toronto as we got one hell of a thunderstorm. Suckas

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 01:36 PM

Got my iPhone 16GB. yay.

Yet to be activated because of the iTunes server mess.

I love having waited 15 hours for a brick. 27 hrs without sleep.

NOT HAPPY AT ALL.

Why the **** couldn't they have had an actual unlock code in case such a disater happened? Apple does not have many happy customers atm.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 01:48 PM

That's the price you gotta pay for doing something crazy like that.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2008, 01:57 PM

I feel sorry for anyone who lined up overnight in Toronto as we got one hell of a thunderstorm. Suckas
Heh. That's exactly what I thought when the storm woke me up at 6 am.

I can wait a few days for the thing to arrive.

Got my order in.

I called Fido at 9 when they started accepting phone orders, and waited 50 minutes before I got a hold of anyone.
Rumour has it that as of mid morning, they had 1200 callers in the queue. After that people started getting just busy signals instead of the automated system.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 02:52 PM

Early reports from within RoBBers (insider) says that thousands of customers were irate at how the launch was handled by Canadian retailers, including corporate RoBBers stores. Their customer help lines are being swamped by people calling in regarding unhelpful service.

Some stores had only 20 phones, and opened 2 hours after the stated opening time on the door.. and neglected to tell people in line that they only had 20 phones, despite a massive line up.

Note to Apple, please whip RoBBers into shape, and keep RoBBers on a short leash.

(....allegedly)
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 03:10 PM

I was expecting as much which is exactly why I am waiting it out for a bit. Roger/At&T and total idiots which we all already knew.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2008, 06:26 PM

For those of you on existing Fido contracts:

* If you're an existing customer without an agreement, you can get a 8GB 3G iPhone for $249 or a 16GB 3G iPhone for $349 with a 3-year agreement. You'll also receive a $50 credit on your first or second invoice if you subscribe to a monthly plan over $30.

** If you already have an agreement, you can renew it to get a 8GB 3G iPhone for $249 or a 16GB 3G iPhone for $349. You'll also receive a $50 credit on your first or second invoice if you subscribe to a monthly plan over $30. Renewals can be made 6 months before your agreement ends on a 2-year plan and 14 months before it ends on a 3-year plan.

If you don't qualify for the above, don't worry, we're currently working on ways to make the 3G iPhone available to you. Visit a Fido store or call us at 1-888-481-3436 in a few weeks. We should have more information.

Note: Fido.ca is getting hammered at the moment. I guess everyone getting off work now is trying to access it.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2008, 08:28 PM

I decided to go with Fido as the Rogers retail store guys were quite unhelpful about getting me an iPhone because I got a subsidized phone in March while on a business trip because my unsubsidized phone broke. Also, their connections were crashing on them. I was told that I could phone into Rogers later and get a phone airmailed to me but that they would not upgrade me early instore.

So I walked over to Fido and I was able to get 6GB data per month (30 CAD), 250 wkday minute, unlimited incoming calls + 3 months Unlimited as a signup bonus (35 CAD) and a 20 dollar iPhone pack with Visual voice mail, 10, 0000 texts outgoing, Ring Trax, Call display and some other stuff.

I wanted the 16GB model but none were in stock so I decided to go with 8GB and probably keep my touch for video on the plane since they might not let me use my iPhone even in airplane mode.

I might see if I can give my Rogers contract over to a relative or see how much time is left on and figure out whether it would be better to just pay the early cancellation fee.
--
Aristotle

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 09:14 PM

For those of you on existing Fido contracts:

* If you're an existing customer without an agreement, you can get a 8GB 3G iPhone for $249 or a 16GB 3G iPhone for $349 with a 3-year agreement. You'll also receive a $50 credit on your first or second invoice if you subscribe to a monthly plan over $30.

** If you already have an agreement, you can renew it to get a 8GB 3G iPhone for $249 or a 16GB 3G iPhone for $349. You'll also receive a $50 credit on your first or second invoice if you subscribe to a monthly plan over $30. Renewals can be made 6 months before your agreement ends on a 2-year plan and 14 months before it ends on a 3-year plan.

If you don't qualify for the above, don't worry, we're currently working on ways to make the 3G iPhone available to you. Visit a Fido store or call us at 1-888-481-3436 in a few weeks. We should have more information.

Note: Fido.ca is getting hammered at the moment. I guess everyone getting off work now is trying to access it.
My hardware upgrade was $299 + 50 dollar credit for the 16 GB iPhone, which made it $249. Wonder if rogers made a mistake with me?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2008, 10:45 PM

I just went to a little out of the way Rogers store (Dundas West and Dufferin) and picked one up with no drama of any kind. It was 6:00 pm and they still had stock. Added the data plan to my existing plan, great service and the sales guy knew what he was doing.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2008, 04:43 PM

I called in to cancel my Rogers plan. They tried to get me to port my Rogers phone number over to my Fido contract but I did not trust that they would not screw it up for me and cause me to lose my signing bonus extras so I just said I'd pay the 200 dollar cancellation fee on my Rogers contract which would have expired in early 2011 and to keep my Fido contract iPhone as is.
--
Aristotle

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2008, 11:27 AM

My iPhone arrived an hour ago... If you can believe it, it's still in the package. Too much damn work to do.

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
I called in to cancel my Rogers plan. They tried to get me to port my Rogers phone number over to my Fido contract but I did not trust that they would not screw it up for me and cause me to lose my signing bonus extras so I just said I'd pay the 200 dollar cancellation fee on my Rogers contract which would have expired in early 2011 and to keep my Fido contract iPhone as is.
For $200 I would have risked it, unless you have a better plan on Fido.

lenny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2008, 11:37 AM

My iPhone arrived an hour ago... If you can believe it, it's still in the package. Too much damn work to do.
That was fast! I also ordered mine from Fido by phone (but around noon). I think that was long enough for stock to sell out, and I'm expecting mine around the end of the week or early next week (glad just to get it out of my system and forget about it for a bit).

L

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2008, 12:30 PM

For $200 I would have risked it, unless you have a better plan on Fido.
Given my past experience and frustration with Rogers and the fact that I'm still recovering from a sprained ankle, I did not think it would be worth it. I could have ended up losing my bonus 100 minutes and the other sign up extras and Fido does offer better "value packs" for the iPhone as well as a 5pm start for unlimited weekends/evenings and my voice plan as unlimited incoming calls.

I did the math and the Fido plans are a better value if you live in their coverage area. If I wanted to roam in Rogers only areas outside of major metropolitan areas, I could add on a 5 dollar per month charge to use the "extended" Rogers network as well.
--
Aristotle

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2008, 01:04 PM

I couldn't wait any longer. It's now all setup and active. I didn't even have to call in to get it set up.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2008, 02:26 PM

So surfing on this with 3G is way more tolerable the times I've tested on EDGE. I think data usage will be a lot more for some people on 3G than it was on EDGE.

---

Following the weekend, Rogers Wireless confirmed that the launch shipment of tens of thousands of iPhone 3G sold out in the vast majority of cities across the country. Anticipating high demand from Canadians, Rogers Wireless pre-ordered continuous new inventory shipments and today announced that tens of thousands of new devices have already arrived in Canada. Canadian iPhone 3G fans who missed launch weekend sales will see new stock in store and online starting today and across the country by Tuesday, July 15.

"With iPhone 3G, we've had the best weekend sales of a handset in Rogers Wireless history. We want to thank all our customers for their enthusiastic response, as we welcome our new iPhone 3G customers to the fastest and most reliable network in Canada, and we appreciate the loyalty of all our existing customers who upgraded to an iPhone 3G. For our future iPhone 3G customers, tens of thousands of new devices will be in stores from coast to coast no later than tomorrow."

CNW Group | ROGERS WIRELESS INC. | iCANADA: iPhone 3G best-selling handset weekend in Rogers Wireless history

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2008, 04:39 PM

Try the GPS function. It's amazingly accurate.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 08:51 PM

Well I told you turkeys to call rogers to get a better deal than the $30 rip off data plan and ya didn't listen!

I called them today and for $15(not $30) more a month on top of my current voice plan I get:

6GB Data/month
2500 sent text messages
Visual Voicemail
Call and name Display
Who called

$50 off the cost of the 16gig iPhone.

Normally those services would cost about $50/month.

Booya.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 09:43 PM

Wow. Impressive!

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2008, 11:06 PM

Great deal aS. I've been reading HoFo retention threads for the past few days, and I think that's the best retention plan I've ever seen. How much do you pay on your base voice plan though? If you spend more, they're more likely to give you more freebies.

I negotiated nothing and just stayed with my previous voice plan and added data:

$30 Talk and Text
- 300 anytime minutes
- Call Display
- Text messaging. (Not that many, but I never use my allotment up anyway so no worries.)
- Voice mail
$30 6 GB data/month
$6.95 System Access Fee
$0.50 Emergency 911 Fee
------
Total: $67.45 plus tax.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2008, 11:48 AM

I forget the exact details but I pay $45 a month for 700 min, free after 8pm/weekends, free rogers to rogers.

Then the $15 for the data and other plus' I mentioned above.

In the end it comes out to $92 WITH all taxes and so forth.

My plan isn't that special, I told all my friends to call in year ago and we all have close to the same thing. The point is you have to try and not just read howard forums as they will prob give you the same or close.

The secret is to talk to customer RELATIONS (not service) and say you are unhappy with your plan because BELL is offering you better with $15 a month for unlimited internet.

If anything call them and say you thought the $30 you pay included text messaging and visual voicemail and I bet you will get it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2008, 01:02 PM

If anything call them and say you thought the $30 you pay included text messaging and visual voicemail and I bet you will get it.
Well, in my case I already get text messaging and voicemail (and caller ID) with my $30 voice plan anyway. I don't really care about visual voicemail. The only thing extra I really needed was the data.

$92 WITH all taxes
So that's around $81.45 before tax. If your voice plan is $45 and the add-on deal you got is $15, system access fee and 911 is $7.45, that means you have another $14 before tax not accounted for. Cuz $45 + 15 + 7.45 = 67.45 which is exactly what I pay. That comes out to about $76 including tax.

studgrade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2008, 09:16 AM

Well I told you turkeys to call rogers to get a better deal than the $30 rip off data plan and ya didn't listen!

I called them today and for $15(not $30) more a month on top of my current voice plan I get:

6GB Data/month
2500 sent text messages
Visual Voicemail
Call and name Display
Who called

$50 off the cost of the 16gig iPhone.

Normally those services would cost about $50/month.

Booya.
Sorry to burst your bubble buddy, but I got the exact same thing without asking them. They just offered it to me....

Later

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 11:39 AM

Hmmm.

I'm gonna have to give rogers a call and get the same deal. I'll just make a scene that their giving this deal to people only 5 days after launch, and ask why I shouldn't get the same.

I have a $45 plan with:

350 daytime minutes unlimited eve/weekends starting at 6.
and pay $7 extra for call display.

Now I want : $45 for my voice + $30 for the essentials plan and 6Gb data

Which is still ~$93/mo and sucks in comparison to some of your deals.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 11:49 AM

Just a quick question.

Are you sure you guys aren't just getting the first month free for wireless essentials?, cause that would work out to the $30 for just the data.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2008, 03:03 PM

A friend of mine had issues with his Blackberry plan. Two phone calls later he had an iPhone for $50.00, not sure what they did to fix his data issues but he's one happy camper.

Forum Links
Forum Rules