Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Turning off the Startup Memory Test

Turning off the Startup Memory Test
Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2001, 12:34 AM

I installed a Sonnet G3 card into a 7500. I had some problems with it "hanging" and then freezing on startup. They recommended I shut off the "hidden" Startup Memort Tests option in the Memory Control Panel (try holding down the Command and Option Key while you launch the Memory Control Panel)

Now my question is... what function does this test serve? Am I opening up my computer to some possible risk by turing this off? I mean Apple didn't make it easy to shut it off so it makes me wonder. So anyone out there know about this?

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

-Q-
Sep 5, 2001, 10:50 AM

Essentially what this does is makes sure your RAM is working correctly. The more RAM you have, the longer this test takes b/c the OS is testing every component of the RAM to make sure it's within specifications.

If you've been running this entire time with the test on, I don't think you are opening yourself up to any risk. It's very rare for a RAM module to "go bad". They're usually either bad from the start, or work well for a very long time.

They don't make it easy (well, that opinion is relative, I guess) b/c a lot of the issues with OS 9 and earlier can be attributed to bad ram, or RAM that's outside Apple's specifications. That's why a few months ago, with the release of a firmware update, Apple "tightened the reins" on RAM manufacturers to enforce their specificaitons (I'm going to ignore whether or not this was done in a correct fashion).

And if you add more RAM, you can always turn the test back on temporarily to have it tested.

I don't think it's really a big deal at this point to turn it off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules