Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 6500/250 Sorta Won't Boot

6500/250 Sorta Won't Boot
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2001, 12:38 AM

It started last week, it started freezing after it had been on for a while. The amount of time until it froze got smaller and smaller, and now often times it will freeze DURING the startup chime, and it stops chiming partway through. I have taken out all my ram, and all my cards, and disconnected all netowrking, it still does it. I have also switched hard drives and tried starting up from a CD. Still does it. Does this mean my Motherboard is toast, or could this maybe possibly hopefully be the odd behavior of a dead battery?

burger
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2001, 03:30 PM

Sounds like the processor is overheating.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2001, 08:49 PM

But it happens RIGHT AWAY, even if the computer has been off for days, and the 6500 even has a small fan directly on the processor!!

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2001, 10:36 PM

It could be hundreds of things. Here's what I can think of:
  • It might just be dusty. Try blowing all the contacts with compressed air and reseating the processor.
  • Zap the PRAM.
  • Try hitting the Cuda switch.
  • It could also be a dead battery.
  • You may have had a power spike or surge, which toasted something on the motherboard.
  • There may be corrosion on a motherboard component
  • If possible, try reseating the ROM chip
  • You might not be getting clean power, and it's confusing the power supply

Hope this helps.

[ 08-31-2001: Message edited by: iNub ]

<mil6>
Sep 4, 2001, 02:11 PM

I had a similar problem on two separate machines over this weekend. My 6500/250 running 9.1 and my unconnected 6100 running 8.1 both had trouble booting. The 6500 came up eventually with a clock fault, said it was 8/27/1956. At the same time, the 6100 would only give me an opening bell but no signal to the display. After multiple resets and an attempt to boot from Techtools CD. It finally woke up, with the same clock fault, same date. Sounds like some dormant code. Too much of a coincidence. Thoughts??

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2001, 06:10 PM

honeslty, it sounds like both your battery's went at the same time. I'm fairly sure thats what my problem is, since taking out the battery was the only thing that had any sort of effect on my problem, it frooze much earlier with no batter, making me belive its just dying, i bought a new one on ebay, we'll see what happens...

Forum Links
Forum Rules