Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > hard drive doesn't show up

hard drive doesn't show up
esther316
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2001, 04:55 PM

I have a Performa 6360 and when I turn it on it gets a blinking question mark. It has OS 9.1 installed on it. It was working fine until I moved it. Now when I start it up with the OS 9 CD it doesn't see the hard drive at all. Norton can't find it or Disk Doctor or DriveSetup.

Is my hard drive bad or did a wire come loose inside the machine or what?

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2001, 05:36 PM

Could be. Have you opened it up and reset the cables etc? Zap PRAM have any effect? Do NOT use Norton if it is earlier than 6.02. Even then I wouldn't let it try to fix any major repair problems. Instead, I'd get a copy of Disk Warrior ready. You also want to make sure to use Startup Disk 9.2.1 or later.

Where's your backup? do you have access to a SCSI disk drive?

esther316  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2001, 06:30 PM

Nope, no SCSI drive. All I have attached to the computer is a printer, keyboard and mouse. And of course my ethernet connection. Good thinking on the PRAM though...I'll trying zapping that and see what happens.

esther316  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2001, 06:40 PM

I tried zapping the PRAM. No luck. Any other ideas? I remember of seeing this occur on somebody elses computer before but I think it magically fixed itself. Too bad that can't happen again.

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2001, 09:14 PM

Something's wiggled loose in the transfer if it worked perfect before you moved it....

Forum Links
Forum Rules