Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Grand Theft Auto IV

Grand Theft Auto IV (Page 17)
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Yeah its sucks that you can't sprint up stairs. You should be able to tap A and have him skip steps like people do when they're rushing up the stairs.

But I also use the jumping technique. It works but sometimes I get all turned around or get caught up on some piece of the environment.

This question is in regards to the last part of the game:

There is more. Not much, but a few big missions are coming up.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 12:19 PM

Crap, I saw maroma had a storyline achievement I hadn't done yet last night. Guess I should get back to the story again.

Edit: Anyone notice that rockstar finally admitted to heavy loads on their servers after a full three weeks of intermittent social club updating? I just don't see how the Multiplayer stats section will open in a time-frame where people are still playing this game if they're still having trouble with the Marathon stats updating.

Also, did you get into the 100% club yet, kb?
( Last edited by Dakar the Fourth; May 22, 2008 at 12:27 PM. )

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
There is more. Not much, but a few big missions are coming up.
Cool, I was hoping I would get a few more missions. I'm almost at $500,000 too, so that will help me get there.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 12:38 PM

Stevie's car missions were all it took for me. I peaked around 850,000 before dying a bit the past few days.

Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Stevie's car missions were all it took for me. I peaked around 850,000 before dying a bit the past few days.
Yeah I still have some cars to steal for Stevie as well. I also enjoy doing some local crime fighting. Especially the ones where they're on foot, and all you have to do is run them over. Easy (and fun) money.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 01:15 PM

Anything that results in a splattered person is ecstasy.

Though I have been enjoying the shoot-outs with gangs lately.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 01:16 PM

What in the world are you guys spending your money on? After I finished the game a Cheats option apeared in my phone and I could restock all the weapons for free anytime.

the only time I spent money was on a couple weapons here and there that I didn't find laying about and some clothes.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 01:18 PM

A. I haven't beat the game yet

B. Dying is the biggest financial hit

Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 01:31 PM

I die a lot.

I also made a mistake early on when I was busted by the police, and lost all of my weapons. I immediately went to the weapons shop and spent a shitload on restocking my weapons. Big mistake.

I also spend a lot on cabs.

And I haven't beat the game yet.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 01:33 PM

Cabs don't cost ****. 10 ridiculously long trips still won't amount to more than $500. You can probably make that on a couple vigilante missions.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 02:13 PM

If I die on a mission I reload the game. I never take the hit to my cash.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 02:15 PM

I am not a gigantic pussy.

Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 02:27 PM

Cabs don't cost ****. 10 ridiculously long trips still won't amount to more than $500. You can probably make that on a couple vigilante missions.
Hey I'm just sayin thats where some of my cash goes.

And I am also not a huge pussy and reload my game when I die.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
If I die on a mission I reload the game. I never take the hit to my cash.
Why what you saving for? Those $20 sunglasses?

BTW when you finish the game they give you $200,000 of more worthless money.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 03:34 PM

I dunno, but I should rephrase. Usually when I die I'm so frustrated because I died from some sort of control issue (auto-aiming screwing me up, or taking cover on the wrong side), so I shut down the console in frustration and don't even have the chance to save. I think in my stats I've only died twice.

Actually happened last night. I had to take down a bunch of guys and someone got a headshot on me when I was driving. I had most of my health and full armor but it was instant death. Got so pissed I turned it off and watched TV instead.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 03:38 PM

yeah, the "No Way on the Subway" mission made me do that. Turns out the second guy is impossible to kill until you reach a certain point. BS like that really has to stop.

On the flip side I've basically learned to just wait til the guy I'm chasing crashes, as trying to kill them isn't worth the effort, risk, or the chance of cops joining in.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 03:42 PM

yeah, the "No Way on the Subway" mission made me do that. Turns out the second guy is impossible to kill until you reach a certain point. BS like that really has to stop.

On the flip side I've basically learned to just wait til the guy I'm chasing crashes, as trying to kill them isn't worth the effort, risk, or the chance of cops joining in.
Ya same here. In all the chaises I would always shoot at them but they almost never died before the end of their set journey anyway.

The only mission I had to shoot the guy before he reached his destination is the biker gang in the park as they were nasty as a group.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 03:46 PM

I played that one conservative... I had no experience shooting on a bike and I knew I'd blow it. I'm kind of spruced I didn't fail the mission, because when I saw the gang waiting, I drove right by and went across half the park before turning around and working my way back on foot using an on ramp as cover.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 04:12 PM

I played that one conservative... I had no experience shooting on a bike and I knew I'd blow it. I'm kind of spruced I didn't fail the mission, because when I saw the gang waiting, I drove right by and went across half the park before turning around and working my way back on foot using an on ramp as cover.
I did that one the exact same way. Was able to take them out one by one quite easily.

Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 04:12 PM

Oh yeah I've died to ridiculous circumstances as well. I don't like the fact that this game doesn't have some sort of grenade indicator for when a grenade is near you (like Call of Duty or something). When you're fighting 8 guys, bullets flying everywhere, and suddenly you're dead because a grenade you didn't see or hear explodes at your feet is seriously frustrating.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 04:15 PM

That happened to me last night on a vigilante mission. I thought I had been unobservant. I don't know if I need an indicator, so much as give me a hard to miss sound, like an unreasonably loud clink.

Edit: I forgot to ask a while back, why do some of you keep cop cars in your safehouse parking spots?
( Last edited by Dakar the Fourth; May 22, 2008 at 04:25 PM. )

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
May 22, 2008, 05:10 PM

This forum is fast becoming a GTA4 forum.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 05:23 PM

It's a more of a "whatever game is popular now" forum.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2008, 05:24 PM

Edit: I forgot to ask a while back, why do some of you keep cop cars in your safehouse parking spots?
Easy cop car without the possibility of getting any stars? Not to mention it's an all-around good vehicle for doing missions.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2008, 05:27 PM

Dakar, for the amount of discussion you've created in this former graveyard I'd say you should be an honorary mod of the gaming forum..

Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Dakar, for the amount of discussion you've created in this former graveyard I'd say you should be an honorary mod of the gaming forum..
I'll second that.

All in favor?

Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 05:34 PM

Easy cop car without the possibility of getting any stars? Not to mention it's an all-around good vehicle for doing missions.
I like that you can turn on the siren and fools will get out of your way (mostly). But I enjoy jacking cop cars. I like walking up to one, try to open the driver door but its locked.. so the cops get out all mad, and then you calmly get in and drive away while the cops are fumbling with their guns. Good times.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 05:42 PM

Oh yeah I've died to ridiculous circumstances as well. I don't like the fact that this game doesn't have some sort of grenade indicator for when a grenade is near you (like Call of Duty or something). When you're fighting 8 guys, bullets flying everywhere, and suddenly you're dead because a grenade you didn't see or hear explodes at your feet is seriously frustrating.
Weird that didn't happen to me once.

The thing that really pissed me off is when you rescue your cousin from the warehouse in that long mission and then he leads you to the truck in the back to get out of there. The whole area is littered with barrels and I just happened to hit one of them that was a gas tank and I got blown to high hell. I had to try again 2 more times before I could beat it again.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2008, 05:53 PM

Is this the fastest growing thread in macnn history?
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 22, 2008, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Andhee View Post
With useless posts like this (and mine, woohoo), I'm sure it is.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
The thing that really pissed me off is when you rescue your cousin from the warehouse in that long mission and then he leads you to the truck in the back to get out of there. The whole area is littered with barrels and I just happened to hit one of them that was a gas tank and I got blown to high hell. I had to try again 2 more times before I could beat it again.
The same exact thing happened to me.

Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 06:17 PM

The poor neglected Halo 3 thread was pretty fast growing too. Although it took a little bit for it to really get going.

And now it sits halfway down the page, sadly gazing up at its former glory as top thread.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 23, 2008, 12:04 AM

1st - I take a long shift at work today and i come home to be two pages behind....WTF (the halo jerks have evolved into a much larger community of gamers with one game)

2nd - i also agree Dakar is the honoree mod of the gaming thread, i think the halo 3 thread revived my daily attendance to macnn in general (not to mention the GTA IV thread).

3rd - No 100% club yet, my % is listed at 86% so there definitely updating it day to day (a few days ago i was at 74% on the site), although i'm getting anxious to see what secrets lie inside.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 12:40 AM

I did a ton of missions tonight and I still didn't get the UL Paper one maroma got. WTF, mate.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2008, 02:11 AM

The poor neglected Halo 3 thread was pretty fast growing too. Although it took a little bit for it to really get going.

And now it sits halfway down the page, sadly gazing up at its former glory as top thread.
If Halo 2 was any gauge, H3 will make a massive resurgence.

In my own experience, of course.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 09:53 AM

Which one? The Malibu is passable but the Caprice can blow me.

I like that you can turn on the siren and fools will get out of your way (mostly). But I enjoy jacking cop cars. I like walking up to one, try to open the driver door but its locked.. so the cops get out all mad, and then you calmly get in and drive away while the cops are fumbling with their guns. Good times.
That was awesomer in GTA III, when there was only one cop in the car. Try to open the passenger door, cop gets ticked, gets out, you get in passenger door and are in the driver's seat by the time the cop runs around to the passenger side trying to get you.

Originally Posted by Andhee View Post
It could have been if there were a way to post pics and video. Hell, just game tracking would have added a few pages.

If Halo 2 was any gauge, H3 will make a massive resurgence.

In my own experience, of course.
The multiplayer in this just won't hold anyone's attention.

Speaking of which we need to organize a meet-up.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 23, 2008, 12:15 PM

agreed, i'm free this evening (any time really), and sunday mid/late night also. (saturdays a no go, pens are in the stanley cup)

NOTE: i agree with sek halo 3 (much like halo 2) will make a major resurgence in my 360 more than once.

Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 12:44 PM

So I see this pic and I wonder... where can I get a pair of those gloves??

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 12:47 PM

I been discussing that on and off for a friend. The concensus is that these are pre-release screens. Perhaps not in-game, either.

Edit: I'll be on tonight, kb. Dunno when as I'll probably take a nap or maybe catch the Lakers/Spurs game.

Also, thanks for all the honorary mod stuff. Dunno if I've contributed to the forum, so much as just filled it (we all know I probably account for a 1/4th of the posts here). What's an honorary mod anyway? Blue stars, special title, and no powers? Because that's about the only way I'd get a mod-ship.

Edit2: Also, I missed my chance to get the scrubs last night. Damn.
( Last edited by Dakar the Fourth; May 23, 2008 at 12:54 PM. )

Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 12:59 PM

Ah, that makes sense that its a pre-release shot.

You beat that mission without sneaking as a doctor? Thats pretty good. The first time I tried it I didn't know about the scrubs, and tried to walk in, but got my ass nearly killed by the guards, and then finished off by the cops.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 01:01 PM

Edit: Probably should spoiler this:

Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 01:07 PM

Nice work! But bummer that you can't play doctor now. I wonder what the girls would say if you wear those scrubs on a date.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 01:12 PM

I don't think I'll be going on many dates form here on out. Got LC 5, and female relationship decay seems pretty slow. I'll do a date with Carmen here and there to keep the special ability alive and that's it.

Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 01:25 PM

That's what I've been doing pretty much. I have even been turning down dates lately, since I've been just running around trying to make extra cash.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 01:27 PM

Don't forget to use sleep mode. Just reset it after each vigilante mission or car delivered.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2008, 02:19 PM

Which one? The Malibu is passable but the Caprice can blow me.
I don't mind the Caprice, it can take loads of damage.

It could have been if there were a way to post pics and video. Hell, just game tracking would have added a few pages.
Damn Halo 3 and it's spoiling us with stats, pics, and videos to beat the band. I still remember my first time using the theater feature and being like "Wow, more games need to do this!"

Agreed, I'll be playing all day. Not going out tonight because I just woke up and my head is pounding....nuff said.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 02:21 PM

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 02:23 PM

Damn Halo 3 and it's spoiling us with stats, pics, and videos to beat the band. I still remember my first time using the theater feature and being like "Wow, more games need to do this!"
I've been bitching for theater features since Driver (with it's full director mode). Then they released the perfect game for that feature -- Stuntman-- and completely left it out.

BTW, been meaning to mention how much having all the carboard boxes and trash cans reminds me of that game.

Agreed, I'll be playing all day. Not going out tonight because I just woke up and my head is pounding....nuff said.
Nice. I smell some cannonball running. If we can get one or two more people we should do some ranked, too.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 23, 2008, 02:26 PM

I'm down to play when I get off work, which seems to be the time you two get off xbox live..

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 02:30 PM

It's friday, I'll be good for being on late.

Forum Links
Forum Rules